Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

I know where you mean. I am assuming the little creek after the red two. It was 4.5 ft at mid tide three years ago when we slowly tried to feel our way in there. We gave up, went back out the inlet and sailed up to Atlantic Highlands in the dark about 10. PM. We like anchoring or picking up a mooring there. Great jump off spot waiting for he right tide/current to ride in hero ugh NY Harbor and up the East River through Hell Gate and into the LI Sound. We occasionally have stayed at Liberty Landing if we want to splurge. Great view of Manhattan nice restaurant, water taxi in the marina to close to the Battery area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I don't know about making it with a 7' draft, but when I stopped in Manasquan I anchored in a neat little spot out of the inlet and hence safe from the nasty current. Not far into the inlet was a marked channel, probably 1/2 mile, to a bascule bridge that then opened into a neat little harbor with good holding...

No idea if you could squeeze down there with such a large draft or whether it got slammed by the storm, but it was a great option as it was out of the way of the commericial fleet and out of the current... Maybe chef2sail has more accurate and up to date info..

On my trip, as a total newb sailing solo, I steered way clear of Barnegat, but I had no problem with Cape May, Abesecon, and Manesquan. All were well marked, all offered good anchorage options, and easy peasy on the way in and out as long as you watched the tide and wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We do this route every year up and back fromBaltimore to the LI Sound. Up the Chessie to the C&D, then anchor behind Reedy Island or go to Delaware City and wait to leave two hours before high tide. You ride the T,IDE to Cape May. Canal is 55 ht and around the pony is an extra 2 hours .

Only NJ inlets which re safe are Cape May, Absecon ( Atlantic city), and Manesquan. Barneget is ok too but treacherous and need good knowledge.
Avoid all others. ICW from Barneget t o Manesquan has a lot of shoals and bridges so avoid. Distances C&D to Cape May 55, Absecon 35', Barneget 35' , Manesquan 22, Ambrose Channel 27
Where do you "park" in the Manesquan?

Down
Old 03-24-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
Pretty much just one way to go. I'm wondering what you were "reading up" on? Are you aware of where NYC and Annapolis are actually located? Just seems like a silly question.
Marc
This is a pretty douchey response, Marc.
Old 03-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" then straight to NY Harbor up the East River. "
Ah, no, actually. Once you reach NY Harbor, you can go up the East River or you can go up the Hudson Estuary to the Hudson River. But if he's planning to go up to Lake Champlain, he'll be going up the Hudson.
Old 03-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

and once you are in the Hudson River proper, you are in what the Iriquois called "the river that flows both ways". The tidal influence on the Hudson reaches almost to Albany.
Going with the current can save you a bundle on fuel.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-24-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Jon, have you lately passed through the 'channel' quite close to Cape May point .... the one you can spit from your boat and hit dry beach? The 'inner' Cape May channel just west of Eph Shoal?
Yup, I was through there about 3 weeks after the storm, on a trip down from Maine... I usually pass between Eph Shoal and Prissy Wicks, and head straight for the point, that's where you mean, right?

No problem, nothing had changed as far as I could tell... There was a decent swell running, breakers on both sides as usual, but good water (relatively speaking, of course) in between...

Speaking with Chris Booth, the dockmaster at South Jersey Marina, sounds like Cape May came through Sandy virtually unscathed, he said it was no worse than your average northeaster... The only area that really got hit were the communities facing the Delaware Bay side, when the wind came west on the back side of the storm... But as far as altering the hydrography of the waters south of the point, I can't imagine that there has been real change whatsoever...
Old 03-25-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I don't know about making it with a 7' draft, but when I stopped in Manasquan I anchored in a neat little spot out of the inlet and hence safe from the nasty current. Not far into the inlet was a marked channel, probably 1/2 mile, to a bascule bridge that then opened into a neat little harbor with good holding...

No idea if you could squeeze down there with such a large draft or whether it got slammed by the storm, but it was a great option as it was out of the way of the commericial fleet and out of the current... Maybe chef2sail has more accurate and up to date info..

I believe the area that you are referring to is called " The Glimmer Glass"

Just a guess..7 ft. draft might be pushing it at anything but high tide, but I'll defer to more recent local knowledge. I haven't been through there in awhile.
Old 03-25-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I am trying to read up on the ICW and figure out the fastest route from Annapolis, MD to NYC.

Any thoughts?

I draft ~7' and Bridge Clearance 58'
I'm pretty sure there is a direct flight. Have you tried Expedia.com?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-25-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Draft? You mean height? 55' seems a bit deep...
Remember that mast height is often called "air draft."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I believe the issue with debris off the Jersey coast was vastly overstated right from the get-go.
That's my experience. The shoals have shifted around a bit but I haven't seen debris as a factor, although it has been a slow season for me and I've only been up and down the NJ coast a few times since Sandy.

Quote:
I am trying to read up on the ICW and figure out the fastest route from Annapolis, MD to NYC.
This is about a two day run straight through if you time it right.

I apologize to frequent SNers for repeating my frequent speech. You do NOT care about tide, you care about current. The days of having to estimate the phase difference between tide and current are behind us. NOAA has current tables in addition to tide tables: Tidal Current Tables . You still have to pay attention to other factors in places like Chesapeake Bay and Long Island Sound where wind-driven tide and current are a factor, but you won't get that from tide tables either.

With your draft and air draft the Cape May Canal isn't a good option at all. There is no point in going around the point and back into Cape May.

If you time your departure from Annapolis to make slack before flood at Worton Point +/- an hour and you can keep your speed through the water close to 6 kts or better you can get a boost all the way through the C&D to the mouth of the Bay. Annapolis to Cape Henlopen is usually about 18 hours for me. Remember you can't sail through the canal. Sails should be down between the traffic signals at a minimum.

There is a great anchorage inside the inner breakwater at Cape Henlopen. I'll get it on ActiveCaptain this morning. It's a good stop if you want a break before heading up the coast.

From Henlopen there is no reason not to head straight for Sandy Hook. That's about a day (24 hrs = 1 day). I use Atlantic City (AC) and Manasquan as bail-outs and not planned stops. If you want a shorter run I would do a short day from Henlopen to AC and from there to Sandy Hook. Leave Sandy Hook on the current and ride through NY Harbor and whichever river you choose.

Atlantic City is an easy inlet in nearly any conditions. The USCG moves the marks around as the shoals shift so don't let your chartplotter over rule the evidence of your eyes. Manasquan is another good inlet in most conditions except when the current is running up or down the beach and the wind is East. Then you have to crab your way between the jetties and that can be a challenge with some sailboats. Print out the current tables and be prepared to stand off until slack water.

When in doubt, go out.
jameswilson29 and vtsailguy like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-25-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Darn - forgot one of my favorite stories. Inside Manasquan is a marina called Hoffmans. If you are running from weather getting into a slip or even alongside the fuel dock can be a problem. Three times in the last many years I've pulled in there, turned away from the fuel dock, dropped anchor, and Med-moored to the fuel dock. It would be rude to stay past the weather problem and I've always coordinated with the marina. Always blows the minds of the dock kids.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.