SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

18K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
I am trying to read up on the ICW and figure out the fastest route from Annapolis, MD to NYC.

Any thoughts?

I draft ~7' and Bridge Clearance 58'

#7 ·
the ICW runs up part of NJ.. till you get to Old Barney. I would suggest against it though.. between the junk in the water from Sandy and the usual maze that is NJ's ICW.. I would go from Cape May to Absecon Inlet, spend the night in AC.. then it is north to Barnegat, spend the night.. then the last good inlet before NY is Point Pleasant.. overall, NJ is shallow with horrible inlets

#10 ·
We do this route every year up and back fromBaltimore to the LI Sound. Up the Chessie to the C&D, then anchor behind Reedy Island or go to Delaware City and wait to leave two hours before high tide. You ride the T,IDE to Cape May. Canal is 55 ht and around the pony is an extra 2 hours .

Only NJ inlets which re safe are Cape May, Absecon ( Atlantic city), and Manesquan. Barneget is ok too but treacherous and need good knowledge.
Avoid all others. ICW from Barneget t o Manesquan has a lot of shoals and bridges so avoid. Distances C&D to Cape May 55, Absecon 35', Barneget 35' , Manesquan 22, Ambrose Channel 27

#8 ·
I'm planning on doing the same trip next week and planning on going via the same route.

The published limit on the Cape May Canal is 55'. ICW in NJ is tough with that draft. You may even have trouble with some of the inlets, e.g., Belmar has a 50' bridge (but there is a small marina on the outside of the bridge.)

#13 ·
The published limit on the Cape May Canal is 55'. ICW in NJ is tough with that draft.
Draft? You mean height? 55' seems a bit deep......

Manesquan could also be deadly to someone who researched and reviewed navigational resources so little as to have written the OP of this thread.
Ouch

#12 ·
Manasquan Inlet needs special knowledge especially during high current flow ... there is or used to be a narrow bascule bridge just inside and located at a sharp curve .... and its 'traditional' for every Luigi Testosteroni with a bow-up & raging sport fishing boat only to pass through the bridge at 'three abreast' when any sailboat is there. "Hey gid outta da way, Immm drivin' heeah".

During my adolescent years it was called the 'boat eating bridge' because of 'swirling water' at the bridge. ;-)

#26 ·
Yup, I was through there about 3 weeks after the storm, on a trip down from Maine... I usually pass between Eph Shoal and Prissy Wicks, and head straight for the point, that's where you mean, right?

No problem, nothing had changed as far as I could tell... There was a decent swell running, breakers on both sides as usual, but good water (relatively speaking, of course) in between...

Speaking with Chris Booth, the dockmaster at South Jersey Marina, sounds like Cape May came through Sandy virtually unscathed, he said it was no worse than your average northeaster... The only area that really got hit were the communities facing the Delaware Bay side, when the wind came west on the back side of the storm... But as far as altering the hydrography of the waters south of the point, I can't imagine that there has been real change whatsoever...

#30 ·
Darn - forgot one of my favorite stories. Inside Manasquan is a marina called Hoffmans. If you are running from weather getting into a slip or even alongside the fuel dock can be a problem. Three times in the last many years I've pulled in there, turned away from the fuel dock, dropped anchor, and Med-moored to the fuel dock. It would be rude to stay past the weather problem and I've always coordinated with the marina. Always blows the minds of the dock kids.

#32 ·
Funny I have a similar story about Hoffmans, but never tried the med morr method of gaining the dock. The current there is fierce. We did duck in one night after they closed as the weather sucked to keep going north and stayed on the fuel dock and left at 5 AM.

They must hate sailboaters:laugher:laugher:laugher

#31 ·
Daves advice is good advice, especially for those who want to go straight through and avoid any inlets and dont mind sailing at night. Hihs route is straightforeward and bent on a fast passage and delivery. I have done his route numerous times.

The anchorage behind Cape Henlopen breakwater is a good one. Not really wind protected as much as protected from seas and chop. If you choose that route you will have to still traverse the Delaware Bay opening which can get rough with wind oppposing current.

We have found it easier to go aorund the tip of Cape May and go into the harbor and anchor off of the Coast Gaurd Station. Its about 10 miles shorter and you dont have to worry about crossing the Delaware entrance the next day. If you need an extra day to wait out weather I would rather be in the Cape May harbor. As was posted by Jon the close in route through the Cape May Channel was not affected by Sandy. That choice is 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Most of the time we are on vacation so stopping in Cape May is one of our many stops which we truly enjoy. On our way back from the LI Sound we always allocate a couple of days there. Cape May has great shops for the wives, great restaurants, and great beaches.

There is a lot to be said for the straight through runs Dave mentioned too as you dont have to worry about the inlets. He as a delivery Captain is more likely to push his schedule than most. It also depends on your crew, boat, how well they react to being out in the ocan at night etc. He is right on about the Worton to Cape May/ Cape Henlopen passages. Play those currents to your advantage no matter what distance/ hours you feel comfortable about traveling each day.

One trip with friends I was crew the Captain insisted on " fighting" the current. Since I was crew I of course aquessed to his wishes as he was in charge and there was no danger in what he was doing. I will tell you the damn "nuke" plant in Salem was visable for over 8 hours that day and didnt seem to move as we plodded our way down the Delaware. I really got a lot of sleep that day I will say.

If your destination is at the end of the Sound or further up in New England, and have the crew or are able to do it, I would forgo the NJ coast and head direct from Cape May to Block Island which is 36 hours.

If you dont mind taking your time, seeing scenic parts like anchorages Barneget, Atkantic Highlands, experiencing the East River and Manhattan then hop up the coast and the great towns along the LI Sound...... If you are hell bent on getting there...go straight through. You know what fits you, your crew and your boat best. These are the best laid out alternatives.

Reactions: jameswilson29
#33 ·
Thanks Dave and Chef.

I'll have to ponder the night sailing. I just want to blow through it, and two days would be great. I'll be a a "new to me" boat though, not sure if I want to be night sailing the first time I step aboard.....

#36 ·
We left on Tuesday for NY. We've only seen a couple other boats.

First night was in Summit North. Found some shoaling at the entrance to the marina.

Now we're in Cape May at Utches. We are the second overnight guest this season. No running water yet.

My wife decided to bring ski clothes. It was a wise choice. 50 degrees max is
a bit chilly on the water and we're toasty.

#39 ·
A couple folks asked for details, so, I'll post for all.

On Monday, we launched our Hunter 40.5 in the snow. ;-(
Spent the overnight at Annapolis Landing. Had dinner with a friend at
the Annapolis smokehouse.

Tuesday, departed around 07:30 and arrived 16:30 at Summit North
Marina. Motored the entire way. It was uneventful in a good way. 56 nm.

Wednesday, departed at 07:00 and had the current with us in the last couple miles of the canal. Gave it back in the Delaware River where the current was against us, however, with the sails up we were showing 7-9 knots for most of the trip. The wind was on our back. We stayed east of the channel for most of the trip. Our jib sheet was not properly attached and it blew out so we were on the main for most of the trip. Our course took us close to the ferry terminal and then around the bottom, a few hundred yards off the peers and jetties; plenty of depth there. Arrived in Cape May at Utsch's at about 1600. Cut the corner from the canal entrance a little tight and touched bottom at the entrance. Dinner at Lucky Bones; I'd go back. 66 nm.

The forecast looks good for tomorrow. My daughter is threatening mutiny.

#42 ·
Thursday 7:15 departed at Utsch's in Cape May. Wind gauge read 20 +/- knots, so, Reefed head sail for most of day. The afternoon was calmer. We arrived at Absecon inlet at 13:00, decided to continue to Barnegat. Arrive at inlet at 17:00. No trouble with inlet; it is clearly marked. Little is open in the area and our heat doesn't work on the battery, so we are camping. Total trip length was 65nm.

#44 ·
Finished up last evening. Started inside Barnegat Inlet at 0700 with a few fishing boats. As we were exiting the inlet, my wife heard a strange noise from the engine. A minute later when the overheat alarm went off, it became apparent that the water pump/alternator belt had broken. We opened up the jib about 1/2 way and I got out the tools. About 20 minutes later, all was fixed. ( Thank you Baden Powell.)

Wind was reading about 15 from the north west for the northbound part of the trip and the seas were calm. It was a bit warmer as well. We had the sails up for the northbound portion of the trip.

Our First sight of the freedom tower was at 1200 from Shark River. Turned the hook at 1500 against an estimated 2 kts current and headwind. Dropped the sails and motored in as we readied for landing. Arrived at our mooring at 1700. This leg was about 58nm.

My craigslist dinghy did not perform well. The seam which I glued on the bow came undone and there were a couple inches of water in the stern. (It was ok when it was just me and the bow was out of the water, once loaded, it was another story. ) The craigslist outboard did just fine once coaxed with a little starting fluid. Together they did their job, but I got what I paid for, no complaints. (For my daughter, this was the final icing on the cake - she did not want to go on this trip. Her main objection was the lack of decent showers.)

Arriving on the beach was very emotional as I got to see the Sandy devastation from another viewpoint.

It's a bit strange being the only ship in a 300 ball mooring field, but, I guess it is the first sign of normalcy after the storm.

/ed

#45 ·
welcome home.. glad you had good safe run. The Jersey Coast can be a treacherous one. It is mostly benign waters.. but the lack of safe ports has put more than one boat into big trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.