SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97810-fastest-route-annapolis-nyc.html)

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 12:46 PM

Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

I am trying to read up on the ICW and figure out the fastest route from Annapolis, MD to NYC.

Any thoughts?

I draft ~7' and Bridge Clearance 58'

mgiguere 03-23-2013 01:11 PM

Re: Fastest route from Annapolis to NYC?

Head north thru the C&D canal, south to Cape May (you'll have to around the bottom because your mast is too tall to go in the back way (where the ferries enter)), then straight to NY Harbor up the East River. Have done the trip a number of times.

gershel 03-23-2013 03:05 PM

Pretty much just one way to go. I'm wondering what you were "reading up" on? Are you aware of where NYC and Annapolis are actually located? Just seems like a silly question.
Marc

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 03:11 PM

Just wasn't sure about the C&D if there were bridges and the Cape May height issue. All cleared up =P

34crealock 03-23-2013 04:59 PM

So was that the fastest or shortest route? Some of the ICW seems like a maze.:)

killarney_sailor 03-23-2013 05:01 PM

The whole route is north of the ICW.

mad_machine 03-23-2013 06:44 PM

the ICW runs up part of NJ.. till you get to Old Barney. I would suggest against it though.. between the junk in the water from Sandy and the usual maze that is NJ's ICW.. I would go from Cape May to Absecon Inlet, spend the night in AC.. then it is north to Barnegat, spend the night.. then the last good inlet before NY is Point Pleasant.. overall, NJ is shallow with horrible inlets

edguy3 03-23-2013 07:17 PM

I'm planning on doing the same trip next week and planning on going via the same route.

The published limit on the Cape May Canal is 55'. ICW in NJ is tough with that draft. You may even have trouble with some of the inlets, e.g., Belmar has a 50' bridge (but there is a small marina on the outside of the bridge.)

T37SOLARE 03-23-2013 07:28 PM

Fastest is the Delta Shuttle, with a boat it's on a truck.

Other than that it's out the Delaware & outside on the Jersey coast and a left turn at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

chef2sail 03-24-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad_machine (Post 1006823)
the ICW runs up part of NJ.. till you get to Old Barney. I would suggest against it though.. between the junk in the water from Sandy and the usual maze that is NJ's ICW.. I would go from Cape May to Absecon Inlet, spend the night in AC.. then it is north to Barnegat, spend the night.. then the last good inlet before NY is Point Pleasant.. overall, NJ is shallow with horrible inlets

We do this route every year up and back fromBaltimore to the LI Sound. Up the Chessie to the C&D, then anchor behind Reedy Island or go to Delaware City and wait to leave two hours before high tide. You ride the T,IDE to Cape May. Canal is 55 ht and around the pony is an extra 2 hours .

Only NJ inlets which re safe are Cape May, Absecon ( Atlantic city), and Manesquan. Barneget is ok too but treacherous and need good knowledge.
Avoid all others. ICW from Barneget t o Manesquan has a lot of shoals and bridges so avoid. Distances C&D to Cape May 55, Absecon 35', Barneget 35' , Manesquan 22, Ambrose Channel 27