SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Easiest mast to raise? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97813-easiest-mast-raise.html)

TuurboSpaggetti 03-23-2013 02:35 PM

Easiest mast to raise?

Anyone ever had a trailer sailor that impressed them with east of mast raising?

What about raising a mast on the water, as in launching on the Chicago river on a non-bridge lifting day, motoring up the river and raising the mast once I've made it past the LSD bridge?

rhr1956 03-23-2013 02:58 PM

Re: Easiest mast to raise?

I had a West Wight Potter 19. Raising the mast was pretty easy for one person.

TuurboSpaggetti 03-23-2013 02:59 PM

Looking more for a 22 or 23 footer, but I will make a note of that. I won't be doing too much solo sailing though, so a 2 person raising job is certainly within reason.

Azzarac 03-23-2013 03:13 PM

Take a look at the Macgregors. They are very simple to raise the mast on, and the X and M series come with a mast raising system for single handed raising. A lot of the older models have been modified to accept this system also.

FinallySailing 03-23-2013 03:19 PM

Hi, I have a Macgregor 26S. She came with her own mastraising system (ginpole). It can easily be managed by a half portion like myself. Always cracks me up when I'm at the marina and have to winch the mast up or down. A mast hanging in the air at 45 degrees seems to have a frightful attraction to other sailors who quickly run to the rescue, just to notice that everything is perfectly ok :) .

Whatever boat you end up with, a forestay lever helps to get the last free centimeters close enough that you can pin the stay in place IMHO.

Azzarac 03-23-2013 04:06 PM

I'll second that on the Johnson Lever. Its a must have for anyone who raises and lowers the mast often.

MarioG 03-23-2013 04:33 PM

I had both the Chrysler 22 and 26 and on both the mast was easy to step.

Captain Scott Sailing Puget and Possession Sound Seattle Everett You can see it being done here

captflood 03-23-2013 05:11 PM

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS:- Had a Trident 24' triple keel cruiser/racer 34' mast raised and lowered single handed . Look on the trident owners association there are several designs for the tabinackles that are fitted to mast houseings. The one on board my boat was designed by my Farther and was out of two inch angl iron quarter inch thick in a u shape that fits over the outside of the upper tabinackle bolt . connecting the backstay the two shrouds and using the main-sheet attached to the spinicker halyard (3/4 rig) could up or down the mast in under and hour Hope this helps AS ALWAYS GO SAFE.

Barquito 03-23-2013 08:46 PM

I would guess the Catalina 22 I had was about in the middle of the scale of easy to impossible to raise. It was a bit of work, but do-able with one person. It is always more difficult and dangerous to raise the mast on the water. The way I had the C22 set up it would have been a bad idea on the water.

RonTyson 03-23-2013 09:49 PM

Hunter 240 or 260, a husband and wife did the Great Loop on their 260 several years ago including dropping the mast on the water going through the locks.