Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Around two decades ago was seconded to join the yacht club of the town I was living in (Duxbury)but because I wouldn't throw them a bunch of parties was passed over. Joined Plymouth and got to meet Ollympians. Then was thrown out of Edgartown Y.C. for improper attire.Then thrown out the royal dinghy club because the crew was disorderly (also happy to be alive). All in one year. Oh well guess I'll never be part of the elite. Still have meet some of the finest people sailing. Some on race boats, some on little boats, some on big boats. But agree there is an elitist favor to certain strata of sailing. Still, tihnk it's a joy to watch some titan of industry learn the ropes from a yard worker and be attentive to his every word. Sea levels us all. No elite once you're on the water.
John B likes this.

Last edited by outbound; 03-25-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: synax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post

Companies such as rolex and all the other major sponsors kick all that money into it so that they give off and feed into the perspective of "Rich and famous" classic beautiful wooden boats, sunsets and wine and champagne, wealthy couples in khakis and white sweaters who step off their porch in the Hamptons vacation home down to the yacht on their private dock type. You don't see Walmart or Target advertising at these events because they don't need to cater to the demographic, however I own a sailboat and I buy cleaning products and portable fans and trash bags for my boat at Target.
I'm pretty sure the "sailing lifestyle" has been used to market certain products to many people who could never afford a boat...

Philzy3985 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Now, how about we start getting the dronecopter guys to send quadcopters out all over the race course, and broadcast the results on the web for free? Won't have the fancy racing lines and circles and arrows drawn on the screen, but it'll sure take the wind out of those pricey premium cable prices to watch the race, too. :-)
We got that, Thats the really nice thing, all the AC races including fancy racing lines,circles, arrows, commentaries, fancy graphics and gizmos are being broadcast for FREE on uTube without commercial interruption.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 03-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
...Those that measure their self worth in terms of learning and harnessing the forces of nature to accomplish your aims are more likely to be sailors, and yes we are an elitist bunch.
Sailors, young or old, wealthy or not, may be and mostly are an "Elite":

Quote:
A group of people considered to be the best in a particular category, esp. because of their efforts and talent...
But, very rarely are Sailors, young or old, wealthy or not "Elitist":

Quote:
A person who believes that they are superior to others (and thus deserve favored status) because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors; or, somebody who believes that society should be ruled by an elite class.
In fact, as a class, most Sailors--young or old, wealthy or not, seem to be about as egalitarian...

Quote:
believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
...as a group of people could be. Sailing seems to be a great equalizer and folks at a beach pot-luck never seem to care that Fred and Suzie Farkel may have come off of a 64' Swan while Jack and Jill Dokes may have come off a 27' Albin. Fred and Suzie and Jack and Jill are usually treated about the same by all but a rare few.

FWIW...
benesailor likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

HyLyte- Think you got it pegged. Like to think this site prooves it. Guess I'll just continue to follow Groucho advise and never join a club that will have me.(GRIN)
Old 03-26-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I realize this has been hashed out before; but, after looking at ticket prices for the America cup, it really makes you wonder. It makes NASCAR look good.

Sportsmark

That's just a sample of the America's Cup area. I'm a whole-hearted capitalist and i believe you charge what the market will bear. I wonder sometimes why America can't find talented sailors for the Olympics.
I'm glad i can watch sailing from any vantage point.
First of all, the America's Cup is no longer about sailing. It has morphed into a freakish display of expensive technology financed by people who have skin in the game, or are super wealthy and looking for a way to spend money. Real sailboat racing is about kids down at the yacht club learning how to race Penguins, Turnabouts, or 420's. Cost to watch? $0. Sailboat racing is about club championships, regional, and national in the one design of your choice. Price of admission to watch? $0. Don't try to make this about politics and elitist accusations. I'm proud of my affiliation with sailing my entire life and I'm even more proud about what real sailboat racing is about. Sportsmanship, seamanship, skill, and teamwork practiced by folks from all walks of life. The America's Cup is a sad joke at this point not worth the effort I put into this post.
Old 03-26-2013

rmeador is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So while you may not feel those expenses for five or ten years, or two years for bottom paint, you still WILL eventually pay for the use of the boat, and you will pay by the hour and the mile for any use you put on it.
I strongly suspect that on most boats, the equipment deterioration is dominated simply by age and maintenance, not use (most boats don't leave the slip all that often). So I think in the general case, the marginal cost for that extra hour or mile on the water is very near zero.

Anyways, to the topic at hand, I think sailing is very much viewed as elitist. For most people "elite" is synonymous with "rich" Anyone who doesn't know me thinks I'm rich because I have a 37' foot sailboat. Then I tell them I live on it. Then I tell them I paid less than $50k for it. Then I tell them my monthly living expenses are less than their rent. Then they get jealous, but they no longer think I'm elite.

Anyone can afford to sail, just as anyone can afford to have a snowmobile or a muscle car or any other toys. Perhaps you can't have all the toys you want, or the size/speed/age of toys you want, but on even the most modest salary if you dedicate all your spare change to your one hobby, you can make it happen. I see a surprising number of RVs and snowmobiles and seadoos and ATVs in "poor" rural homes driveways. They just for some reason see dedication to those things as "achievable" or "normal" and dedication to "sailing" as something for the rich.
Old 03-26-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Re Hello Sailor and True MBAs.
You see, MBAs get it all effed up with their fixed and variable costs expressed in tomorrow's or yesterday dollars and commitment costs and opportunity costs and ....
Honestly, an unused, neglected boat costs more than one that is used and cared for. Ten year old rigging is ten year old rigging and its need for replacement is not dictated by the days of sailing but by its condition which is often more affected by neglect than use. Sails unused develop permanen creases, creating weakness and often are damaged by mold and mildew that remains unseen by the absent sailor. Running rigging is damaged by exposure to UV not by use in setting sails.
So, in reality, it costs more to go zero miles that 85.
MBAs have a distinct handicap it measureing and reporting reality. Just remember, evey bankrupt corp in the last 50 years had MBAs and MFAs out the wazoo, and still went belly up.
So, back to elitism and sailing.
Old 03-26-2013

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I think the public in general DOES consider sailing or power boating to be elitist. I'm always amused when I tell clients that I'm writing reports on the boat today and they give me the "Oh, on the BOAT, huh?" response. I think it's a natural response when you see someone doing something that you don't know how to do or don't think you can afford. For example, I consider private pilots with their own plane to be elitist. Same thing, I guess. I think my sister spends more playing golf than I do on the boat.

Mike
Old 03-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
First of all, the America's Cup is no longer about sailing. It has morphed into a freakish display of expensive technology financed by people who have skin in the game, or are super wealthy and looking for a way to spend money. Real sailboat racing is about kids down at the yacht club learning how to race Penguins, Turnabouts, or 420's. Cost to watch? $0. Sailboat racing is about club championships, regional, and national in the one design of your choice. Price of admission to watch? $0. Don't try to make this about politics and elitist accusations. I'm proud of my affiliation with sailing my entire life and I'm even more proud about what real sailboat racing is about. Sportsmanship, seamanship, skill, and teamwork practiced by folks from all walks of life. The America's Cup is a sad joke at this point not worth the effort I put into this post.
I don't agree. What you are saying can be applied to any sport and does not makes sense in none: Regarding cars it would be saying that F1 and WRC are not real car racing but that what is really racing is club racing, karting and Formula Ford.

Regards

Paulo