Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I think the public in general DOES consider sailing or power boating to be elitist. I think it's a natural response when you see someone doing something that you don't know how to do or don't think you can afford.

Mike
This is a very good point. The sentiment that if it's not common knowledge it's elitist is very prevalent in our society.

I think it also depends what part of the country you live in. Where I grew up, it wasn't just the rich kids that learned how to sail. That's not the case elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

is no more elitist than is car racing...lok at nascar--has everyone and his uncle runnng rum now is sanctioned...lots of dough.
formula one racing..lotsa dough.\
runnng amateur car racing--lotsa dough and npsponsorships..ouch.
prosailing--lotsa dough and sponsors.
you n me sailing--as much dough as it wants and then some, and no sponsors.
but comparison studies are like match9ng oranges and bananas....it dont work. is a diffrent sport.
how many of us can afford the bs stuff of raing--meant to be dismantled each time out.....not me..lol
and from where did our sailing adventures come--from moneyed souls who had the dough to own shipping companies and sail for money delivering goods and services to others...and war.
the original americas cup was one schooner against another--and guess who won. was not a special boat made just for the adventure--was a legitimate race involving working schooners. we have come way long way, baby from that...now is pure bs and more money wins. also more bluster and corruption than was originally. i have lost all interest in ac racing since i watched dennis connor scam and cheat his way into ignominy.
buying position from under the faster sailing teams is not anything but corruption---yes i heard from the tacticians of 3 teams in a jacuzzi in sd in 1995 all about the corruption in ac racing. i also got to watch the 3 downwind errors perpetrated by dc so he could lose the 1983 race...rounding up 3 times in one downwind leg is not a sailor. he was pozed to be racing, not screwing around waiting for the opposition to pass.
sorry i donot appreciate lies and cheating. i no longer have any interest in the money pit called ac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is no more elitist than is car racing...lok at nascar--has everyone and his uncle runnng rum now is sanctioned...lots of dough.
formula one racing..lotsa dough.\
runnng amateur car racing--lotsa dough and npsponsorships..ouch.
prosailing--lotsa dough and sponsors.
you n me sailing--as much dough as it wants and then some, and no sponsors.
Actually sailing as a low level sport is a lot less elitist than car racing.

In cars, even in low profile amateur racing you don't have nothing like an handicap system.

If you don't have a fast car you will make a miserable and ridicolous figure and fast, in cars and boats means money. Lots of it.

In boat racing you can race with a slow old boat, be the last and still win the race in compensated. Not that I like it but I have to admit that handicaps makes boat races a lot less expensive than car racing.

You can't race with the car that you use everyday, regarding sailing you can race with the boat you use to cruise (most do) and some even race with the boat they use for living

Regards

Paulo

Old 04-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

It can't possibly be elitist. Why just this past week, Muffy was down to the tennis courts at the yacht club, and she tells me that not one, not one mind you, was dressed in proper tennis whites. And they were all using those horrid chartreuse balls, too. How much lower can the standards be alllowed to go, really?
jrd22 likes this.
Old 04-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i also got to watch the 3 downwind errors perpetrated by dc so he could lose the 1983 race...rounding up 3 times in one downwind leg is not a sailor. he was pozed to be racing, not screwing around waiting for the opposition to pass.
So, Dennis Connor intentionally threw Race 7 to AUSTRALIA II, thus ending the longest winning streak in sports history???

Seriously???

I was out on Rhode Island Sound that afternoon, aboard the EAST CHOP with a large contingent of Aussies... We were all surprised by DC's failure to jibe and cover Bertrand on the final downwind leg in such fluky conditions, but I don't recall LIBERTY ever "rounding up"...

I doubt even Alan Bond's pockets were deep enough at the time, to have inspired DC to have taken such a humiliating, ignominious 'dive'...
Old 04-03-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

He wasn't paid to take a dive, his family were being held hostage at a kangaroo ranch.

No, seriously...as I recall DC's reputation back then was that he wasn't the best sailor, but that he was an ace at exploiting the rules. Which is, after all, fair play.
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

As soon as you tack the word "sport" to it, it is. Sailing was my solution for an afforadable, rent free, long haul travel, life style. It was really the only way I could afford to live in my 20's. Calling it a sport indicates that it is an extracaricular activity done in the time of ones leisure. For me it has been a way of life, calling it a sport sums up someones attitude towards sailing.
Old 04-04-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

No, seriously...as I recall DC's reputation back then was that he wasn't the best sailor, but that he was an ace at exploiting the rules. Which is, after all, fair play.
i don't know, seems like he was already a pretty accomplished sailor by that time, having already won the AC twice before losing it in '83... I recall lots of chatter that year, suggesting that Conner actually worked a minor miracle to take the series to a 7th race, Ben Lexcen's wing keel being such a design breakthrough making AUSTRALIA II such a superior boat, and that Bertrand really should have won it going away in 4 or 5 races...

But obviously, any AC campaign is such a team sport, the real talent of the guy at the helm can often be disguised by the work of his tactician and crew... Probably the truest measure of Conner's talent at that time, was the fact that he had already won an Olympic Bronze Medal, and 2 World Championships in the Star class... NOBODY wins in a Star - much less on the international level - without being a pretty damn good seat-of-the-pants sailor in their own right...

At any rate, Conner certainly redeemed himself in Freemantle, taking The Cup back in the subsequent challenge. It was a pity the Cup didn't stay down there a bit longer, the racing off Freo when 'The Doctor' came calling was probably some of the most spectacular ever seen in the Cup, with the boats racing in 25 knots of breeze, and big seas... that was some great stuff...
Old 04-04-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Is sailing an elitist sport? I guess it depends on the look on your face when you get the yard bill, or after you check out at West Marine?
Old 04-04-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

When my Kiwi friend was home for the race, she said the awards ceromony was a no admission public affair for the people, and shook her head when she saw that we sold high price tickets to attend the event here in the states. The "Elitist" concept seems to be an American Attitude.