Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing has changed my life

No life-changing stories to share. But, I will say, the boat serves as one of many sources of glue that holds our family of 3 firmly together. We'd be fine without it, I'm sure, but our lives together are enriched that much more by sharing this common pursuit together. That was the whole idea behind getting the boat in the first place. When we're not sailing, we're often talking about being on the boat and the different adventures that we'll share.
IslanderGuy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

I don't know how you do it. I wouldn't let the war anywhere near my boat. My dad showed me something about vets sailing on charleston and asked if I thought it might be good. Probably for them- but not for me. What would I do if I let the war aboard? I'd likely just Walbridge* myself. If I let go the sanctity of this space life would certainly not be worth living. But I can't go to groups or anything either- i hate being anywhere around it- even in my own skin its a pretty hostile environment. I just wish it would get done with me- cuz I'm sure as hell done with it.

*(sail into largest hurricane available)

Last edited by c. breeze; 03-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2013
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

My life started in 1970! My dad was not normal and still isnt, he use to drink all the time on the weekends well everyday i guess too. He started with dingys and moved up to a 33 ft, by this time i was 15 years old! He raced and i was the crew along with a few others that wanted to come along. He use to drink while skippering the races, no one took him seriously until he started to win races and he give people that took the racing seriously,, problems! Well anyways during my child hood my dad would make comments to my mother while , "we cant afford this sailing is only for doctors and rich people!" well as time went by and my dad had to get rid of his 33 ft racer/cruiser it was a sad day, as years past i wasn't my self for a long time i would try things like car racing or listen to others how they go out and hunt and do skiing and stuff! I never lost the idea of me sailing and having my own boat! As i got older and met more and more people by crewing on others boats, i finally bought my own 21 ft catamaran!

As a child we only sailed in a LAKE, but one year my dad did take his boat to a Florida Pensacola regatta race , but he didnt allow me to go at that time! "Boy i wish he did, anyhow now learning Catamaran sailing with new friends i met at the club i joined they all have "Hobie cats, this group of people maybe spend 2k on a boat and we all have the most fun that can be had chasing each other on the lake then coming back to the beach and having a cook out, this is every weekend in the summer!

I have learned you dont need a Dock or high class wanta bee people so called friends that you dont see because they are in side their boats.. Working on it..

Now i have met Salesmen, stay at home MOMS, VPs, CEOs, Doctors, Truck drivers, Metal workers! They all are Extreme sailors and are down to earth people! SO if you ever come across a Hobie guy or a Cat guy Wave at them they are cool people! Just think differently then others, but we all enjoy the WIND, just some are faster then others

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""

Last edited by ImASonOfaSailor; 03-26-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Hobie 16=best beach toy ever. Really the only thing I ever do At the beach
Old 03-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Boo View Post
PTSD. Sailing, actually just being on the water, help bring a happiness and calm. I will be offering time on the water to other vets this year.
That's very admirable, good for you...

If you haven't seen it, pretty good piece on Ronnie Simpson in the latest SAIL...

Then, there's this older piece from OUTSIDE...

Ronnie Simpson Sails Around the World | Sailing | OutsideOnline.com
Old 03-26-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

sort of OT, but I was teaching/helping at 'shake-a-leg' for a while.

its a great feeling to offer someone a hobby/sport that they thought was out of reach...

it didn't change my life, but for many others it did and has...

Shake-A-Leg Miami
Old 03-26-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Sailing always helped me get a better perspective on my life, especially when I was going through some tough times. It helped me raise my kids. And it gave me a great idea how to spend my retirement, as well as how to conduct my funeral...
Old 03-26-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
.... as well as how to conduct my funeral...
Thought of a Viking pyre myself
krisscross likes this.
Old 03-26-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

You want to get close to God? Go sailing.
(Is that a life changing experience?)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-26-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

It changed my life: I used to be wealthy.