SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   sailing has changed my life (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97866-sailing-has-changed-my-life.html)

alexsylvester 03-25-2013 04:35 PM

sailing has changed my life

Hi! I'm looking for interesting stories, how sailing has changed somebody's life. Anyone who had difficult childhood, orphans, other people whose lives have changed for better after contact with sailing. Anyone whose sailing teaches life skills. Just post me on priv, if you want to tell a little about it or share it with everyone, I would be grateful.

wingNwing 03-25-2013 05:08 PM

Re: sailing has changed my life

Intriguing question, Alex! Not sure what you're looking for, here's something I wrote after returning to Annapolis from our first long cruise to the Bahamas: Life Afloat Archives: Sail the Wind You Have (and other life lessons from our trip)

jameswilson29 03-25-2013 05:14 PM

I had a difficult childhood, primarily due to my parents, who would not let me do whatever I wanted, when I wanted. Can you believe how unreasonable that is? Fortunately, my dad provided a comfortable family income and I was able to alleviate the pain by sailing with my family, until I could afford my own boat.

I would like to claim I was an orphan, but that would contradict my first paragraph. I am not sure orphans even exist anymore. The whole foster care system has kind of made the whole Oliver Twist paradigm outdated. Widows remain a bona fide subject of sympathy, however. Since men seem to have more interest in sailing than women (by a ratio of about 2,000 to 3, judging by their participation on this forum), the only widows whose lives have been changed by sailing, might be those who are seen celebrating, particularly if a large life insurance policy is involved.

Anyway, I am pretty sure sailing has changed my life and the lives of others, forever, seeing as I regularly contribute to this forum, thus enriching the lives of others, more than they might possibly realize...

c. breeze 03-25-2013 05:47 PM

No doubt. Listen to this crap- the other day (a while ago) my dad says "don't buy that boat until you sell your old one"

What is that? Nonsense- the delusional ramblings of the senile. I promptly checked the old fart into a home for those with dementia- and bought the other boat. Now that I'm storing two boats and refitting one I can't afford the flipping home anymore or to go anywhere other than out for a daysail. so now he's back and I have to listen to him ramble about selling the old boat all the time.

Like he even knows.

Oh- and then some guy was talking bad about me online. All because of sailing. So yeah- it's afflicting (sp, affecting) my life.

Flybyknight 03-25-2013 09:45 PM

In 1952 my first boat was a 26' 1929 Chris Craft speed boat. That led to taking the USCG safety courses, and achieving the rank of Boatswains Mate.

Changed jobs, moved and wound up at the the Rochester Yacht Club where a co-worker got me interested in Predicted Log Contests, which led me to taking Power Squadron courses. Rose to the rank of Navigator Which led to me teaching Celestial Navigation in the Northern New Jersey Power Squadron.

A friend there introduced me to the Nyack Boat Club. No power boats, so got a 20 year old Lightning and tried to compete in Wednesday night racing. HA! That got me really interested in some serious sailing.

That took me to volunteering at the USNA in Annapolis on their Racing Committee.

Now retired and sail my Cape Dory 25 around the Delaware Bay and the Chesapeake.
I'm now studying how to diagnose the 24 sensors and control modules of a modern diesel engine in the hope of (well let's not go there because it's just a dream).

Dick

c. breeze 03-25-2013 09:49 PM

Lightnings are some really good sailing.

Sal Paradise 03-26-2013 06:26 AM

When I was 2 years old.

I've had a few dry spells since then, but they never lasted. Years I didn't have a boat I'd go down to the water and watch them come and go and wish. Next thing you know I'd have another boat, although never without luck and some effort on my part.

SimonV 03-26-2013 06:30 AM

Sailing has not changed my life, but my life has changed my sailing.

Me and Boo 03-26-2013 07:00 AM

PTSD. Sailing, actually just being on the water, help bring a happiness and calm. I will be offering time on the water to other vets this year.

Rhapsody-NS27 03-26-2013 08:15 AM

After being in the military for the past 15 years, multiple deployments with lots of high stress and now the mind-numbing boredom of being in an office job, Anything messing around on my boat is a sort of release of stress and is so much more relaxing. It's a great way to keep the mind active and engaged.