Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

alexsylvester is on a distinguished road
sailing has changed my life

Hi! I'm looking for interesting stories, how sailing has changed somebody's life. Anyone who had difficult childhood, orphans, other people whose lives have changed for better after contact with sailing. Anyone whose sailing teaches life skills. Just post me on priv, if you want to tell a little about it or share it with everyone, I would be grateful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing has changed my life

Intriguing question, Alex! Not sure what you're looking for, here's something I wrote after returning to Annapolis from our first long cruise to the Bahamas: Life Afloat Archives: Sail the Wind You Have (and other life lessons from our trip)
alexsylvester likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-25-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I had a difficult childhood, primarily due to my parents, who would not let me do whatever I wanted, when I wanted. Can you believe how unreasonable that is? Fortunately, my dad provided a comfortable family income and I was able to alleviate the pain by sailing with my family, until I could afford my own boat.

I would like to claim I was an orphan, but that would contradict my first paragraph. I am not sure orphans even exist anymore. The whole foster care system has kind of made the whole Oliver Twist paradigm outdated. Widows remain a bona fide subject of sympathy, however. Since men seem to have more interest in sailing than women (by a ratio of about 2,000 to 3, judging by their participation on this forum), the only widows whose lives have been changed by sailing, might be those who are seen celebrating, particularly if a large life insurance policy is involved.

Anyway, I am pretty sure sailing has changed my life and the lives of others, forever, seeing as I regularly contribute to this forum, thus enriching the lives of others, more than they might possibly realize...

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-25-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

No doubt. Listen to this crap- the other day (a while ago) my dad says "don't buy that boat until you sell your old one"

What is that? Nonsense- the delusional ramblings of the senile. I promptly checked the old fart into a home for those with dementia- and bought the other boat. Now that I'm storing two boats and refitting one I can't afford the flipping home anymore or to go anywhere other than out for a daysail. so now he's back and I have to listen to him ramble about selling the old boat all the time.

Like he even knows.

Oh- and then some guy was talking bad about me online. All because of sailing. So yeah- it's afflicting (sp, affecting) my life.
Old 03-25-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

In 1952 my first boat was a 26' 1929 Chris Craft speed boat. That led to taking the USCG safety courses, and achieving the rank of Boatswains Mate.

Changed jobs, moved and wound up at the the Rochester Yacht Club where a co-worker got me interested in Predicted Log Contests, which led me to taking Power Squadron courses. Rose to the rank of Navigator Which led to me teaching Celestial Navigation in the Northern New Jersey Power Squadron.

A friend there introduced me to the Nyack Boat Club. No power boats, so got a 20 year old Lightning and tried to compete in Wednesday night racing. HA! That got me really interested in some serious sailing.

That took me to volunteering at the USNA in Annapolis on their Racing Committee.

Now retired and sail my Cape Dory 25 around the Delaware Bay and the Chesapeake.
I'm now studying how to diagnose the 24 sensors and control modules of a modern diesel engine in the hope of (well let's not go there because it's just a dream).

Dick

Last edited by Flybyknight; 03-25-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 03-25-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Lightnings are some really good sailing.
Old 03-26-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

When I was 2 years old.

I've had a few dry spells since then, but they never lasted. Years I didn't have a boat I'd go down to the water and watch them come and go and wish. Next thing you know I'd have another boat, although never without luck and some effort on my part.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-26-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Sailing has not changed my life, but my life has changed my sailing.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-26-2013
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

PTSD. Sailing, actually just being on the water, help bring a happiness and calm. I will be offering time on the water to other vets this year.
Old 03-26-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

After being in the military for the past 15 years, multiple deployments with lots of high stress and now the mind-numbing boredom of being in an office job, Anything messing around on my boat is a sort of release of stress and is so much more relaxing. It's a great way to keep the mind active and engaged.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson