Use TBT or not? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-25-2013 Thread Starter

Use TBT or not?

I think (although I am not sure) that TBT based bottom paint is legal in the Bahamas (at least the marina there sells it). So, if you could, would you use TBT if you kept your boat there?
OTOH, so far, the best anti-fouling solution has been to simply pay a diver to clean the bottom.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2013

Re: Use TBT or not?

To use it or not is up to you, but you should be aware that the solvents used in TBT paints and those in more environment friendly paints are usually not compatible. BR had TBT paint on her hull when we bought the boat. When she came into the US we could no longer use the TBT paint and had to apply a couple coats of vinyl paint as a barrier between the TBTpaint and the Cu-based paint. Incompatible solvents apparently leads to a really big mess covering the hull. I don't know if you can cover Cu-based paint with TBT, but you can't go the other way without the vinyl barrier coat.

Also to be considered....TBT is being phased out world wide. The number of places where you can still get it for small recreational boats is getting smaller every year.

I've found that Interlux Micron 66 works well in tropical waters...it's expensive but it works.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

TbT-based anti fouling paints were banned worldwide in 2008, and that means for recreational and commercial vessels. The only place you can still legally buy and apply them are a very small number of countries, mostly in the Carribean, it seems. They are extremely harmful to the environment (thus the worldwide ban) and knowing that, using this type of product can only be described as extremely selfish.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Concur with Fstbttms 100%, do not use it. EU countries are on the look out for this stuff entering their waters. Bad stuff, avoid at all costs. Not a tree hugger but the data is overwhelming. I use highly concentrated copper epoxy based paints. There are many great solutions out there besides TbT.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2013

OTOH that stuff is the BEST bottom paint ever. When I was a kid we painted our boat with Sears brand TBT paint that was cheap, looked perfect after a year, and killed anything that even came NEAR the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
TbT-based anti fouling paints were banned worldwide in 2008, and that means for recreational and commercial vessels. The only place you can still legally buy and apply them are a very small number of countries, mostly in the Carribean, it seems. They are extremely harmful to the environment (thus the worldwide ban) and knowing that, using this type of product can only be described as extremely selfish.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2013

We ask around, we are in the Bahamas right now, and the yards here are all using the same paints that the U.S. yards use. No one in Nassau or Spanish Wells is using any TBT. We plan to be in the Abacos next week, but i suspect it will be the same there. They all tell me they buy the paints from U.S. suppliers. Chuck

Our Blogs

post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2013

Several yards in the Abacos are offering seahawk tbt paint. And plenty of people are having the yards apply it. However, it is not on the shelves anywhere I could find.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

To me, it says a lot about Sea Hawk as a company, the fact that they're the only company (to my knowledge) that still produces a TbT paint.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
To me, it says a lot about Sea Hawk as a company, the fact that they're the only company (to my knowledge) that still produces a TbT paint.
And yet, it's Sea Hawk, that is pushing the sh#t out of their "No Metal" bottom paint in the Puget Sound as "The Sound Choice". Do you believe the crap? It be true.

I told the Sea Hawk rep, "screw that, I'm going for 88% copper content CopperCoat". He looked at me like I just killed a baby seal.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.