Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Use TBT or not?

I think (although I am not sure) that TBT based bottom paint is legal in the Bahamas (at least the marina there sells it). So, if you could, would you use TBT if you kept your boat there?
OTOH, so far, the best anti-fouling solution has been to simply pay a diver to clean the bottom.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Use TBT or not?

To use it or not is up to you, but you should be aware that the solvents used in TBT paints and those in more environment friendly paints are usually not compatible. BR had TBT paint on her hull when we bought the boat. When she came into the US we could no longer use the TBT paint and had to apply a couple coats of vinyl paint as a barrier between the TBTpaint and the Cu-based paint. Incompatible solvents apparently leads to a really big mess covering the hull. I don't know if you can cover Cu-based paint with TBT, but you can't go the other way without the vinyl barrier coat.

Also to be considered....TBT is being phased out world wide. The number of places where you can still get it for small recreational boats is getting smaller every year.

I've found that Interlux Micron 66 works well in tropical waters...it's expensive but it works.
Old 04-09-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

TbT-based anti fouling paints were banned worldwide in 2008, and that means for recreational and commercial vessels. The only place you can still legally buy and apply them are a very small number of countries, mostly in the Carribean, it seems. They are extremely harmful to the environment (thus the worldwide ban) and knowing that, using this type of product can only be described as extremely selfish.
Old 04-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Concur with Fstbttms 100%, do not use it. EU countries are on the look out for this stuff entering their waters. Bad stuff, avoid at all costs. Not a tree hugger but the data is overwhelming. I use highly concentrated copper epoxy based paints. There are many great solutions out there besides TbT.
Old 04-09-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

OTOH that stuff is the BEST bottom paint ever. When I was a kid we painted our boat with Sears brand TBT paint that was cheap, looked perfect after a year, and killed anything that even came NEAR the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
TbT-based anti fouling paints were banned worldwide in 2008, and that means for recreational and commercial vessels. The only place you can still legally buy and apply them are a very small number of countries, mostly in the Carribean, it seems. They are extremely harmful to the environment (thus the worldwide ban) and knowing that, using this type of product can only be described as extremely selfish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

We ask around, we are in the Bahamas right now, and the yards here are all using the same paints that the U.S. yards use. No one in Nassau or Spanish Wells is using any TBT. We plan to be in the Abacos next week, but i suspect it will be the same there. They all tell me they buy the paints from U.S. suppliers. Chuck

Old 04-10-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Several yards in the Abacos are offering seahawk tbt paint. And plenty of people are having the yards apply it. However, it is not on the shelves anywhere I could find.
Old 04-10-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

To me, it says a lot about Sea Hawk as a company, the fact that they're the only company (to my knowledge) that still produces a TbT paint.
Old 04-10-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
To me, it says a lot about Sea Hawk as a company, the fact that they're the only company (to my knowledge) that still produces a TbT paint.
And yet, it's Sea Hawk, that is pushing the sh#t out of their "No Metal" bottom paint in the Puget Sound as "The Sound Choice". Do you believe the crap? It be true.

I told the Sea Hawk rep, "screw that, I'm going for 88% copper content CopperCoat". He looked at me like I just killed a baby seal.