Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013

br3nt is on a distinguished road
We're going to do the full ceremony in a few weeks with a few friends in attendance. For those of you who have done the dename/naming... Did you wait 24 hours in between? And almost as importantly... Is that a bottle on the bow for each part of the ceremony?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Naming a boat

According to Vigor (see link earlier in this thread), (1) advised but not required, and (2) unequivocally yes, respectively. If you're going to do it, you may as well do it according to Hoyle....
Old 03-31-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
You can re-name it without incurring the wrath of the gods if you strictly follow Vigor's re-naming ceremony rules. No cheap champagne and a liberal dose to appease said gods. I've followed the steps to the letter and re-named several boats and haven't lost one yet:-))

Denaming
I can't figure out if you ARE superstitious or not. Personally I think it is bad luck to be superstitious, but then again, sacrificing a few small animals to pagan gods might be a good idea.

I changed the name of my last boat without any ceremony or superstition and was even lame and lazy about getting the new name painted on the side. My history with my first boat is a tale of worry and woe that more resembles the book "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowat (bet book ever) than not.

MedSailor
Old 03-31-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Our boats have named themselves. Events involving each one resulted in their picking up a moniker. Their stories are interesting and fun. Not secrets but too long for this post. We just purchased a beautiful 18' runabout for lakes here in Maine. It is a vintage E.M White in perfect condition except the po knocked its mahogany framed windshield off. I am building a replacement. It has 2 40 hp Johnson obms that are 49 years old. Fun. That name must be replaced! VER JEN. For the po's daughters Verginia and Jeniffer. Fortunately the name is plastic letters affixed with brass nails. It hasn't had time to "discover" its new name. It shall go nameless until then!

The other three are: Sea Mouse, Tundra Down and Drinking Bird! All with worthy stories to go with each one.

A good boat name should be unique, easily heard and understood over the radio and memorable.

Down
MedSailor likes this.
Old 03-31-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Our boats have named themselves. ...

A good boat name should be unique, easily heard and understood over the radio and memorable.

Down
Agreed, and agreed again. If you don't have a burning desire to use one particular name, that you are sure is just right, let the boat name herself. This story from SmackDaddy's naming of his catamaran for example is classic! (long and laugh out loud funny)

The naming of SmackDaddy's catamaran

MedSailor
Old 03-31-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

I'm not superstitious one bit, nor do I believe in any gods whatsoever. With that said, I do understand the lure of going through a ceremony (even if it is invented for the occasion). It's the same sort of thing as funerals: To allow the people attending to get closure - or in the event of renaming a boat: To allow for the people to feel as if the boat is now really theirs and it bears their name.

I have even had my then gf to ask me if we should do a ceremony to name my (open water) rowing boats. So it matters to some. I get a boat to become "mine" by going through every detail and altering what I see fit. It can be as simple as removing ridiculous brand name stickers.