SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Naming a boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97908-naming-boat.html)

Gregrosine 03-26-2013 09:28 PM

Naming a boat

Is it customary for when someone buys a used boat to rename it? Or do most keep the name it comes with?

PaulinVictoria 03-26-2013 09:32 PM

Re: Naming a boat

Depends if you like it. If you do, keep it. If you don't, change it.

BarryL 03-26-2013 09:35 PM

The first boat I bought didn't have a name. I didn't name it either before I sold it a year later. My second boat was named 'Electrowax'. That name had to go so we renamed the boat Noble Prize. Third, and current boat was named Curragh. Not a bad name, but I didn't like it so we renamed her Day To Remember.

Barry

Faster 03-26-2013 09:49 PM

Do what makes you happy... The only time we've retained an old name was when we had partners and agreeing on a new name wasn't easy and none of us minded the original. We've renamed all the other boats we've had.

jrd22 03-26-2013 09:54 PM

You can re-name it without incurring the wrath of the gods if you strictly follow Vigor's re-naming ceremony rules. No cheap champagne and a liberal dose to appease said gods. I've followed the steps to the letter and re-named several boats and haven't lost one yet:-))

Denaming

capttb 03-26-2013 10:24 PM

Boat was named "OM", that's Sanskrit for "humankind" for those who don't speak it.
That was way too obtuse to explain over the radio. I've found it's good luck to rename the boat for the Chief Financial Officer of the vessel. Hence I now sail the S/V NancyB, and no expense is too great for HER boat.;)

One 03-27-2013 12:22 AM

"Om" is also "about", "regarding", and "around" (yes, all three) in Danish/Swedish, and I suspect also in Norwegian.

Personally, I have always had a weird fondness of the name Molly, so several of my boats have carried that name, officially or unofficially. Never bothered with the I, II, III, IV etc., although Molly B, Molly X, or Molly G doesn't sound too bad.

One of my boats was named "Ox", because I thought the stem looked like a bull scull from the front.

Yorksailor 03-27-2013 02:53 AM

In the last 10 years we have bought and renamed 2 boats...

The first was named 'Big Fat Fun' and my wife refused to make VHF calls. The second was called 'Upside Down' and SeaTow kept trying to rescue us...

Boat names should make sense in English, be easy to pronounce and not confuse the Coast Guard or make them laugh!

chucklesR 03-27-2013 08:35 AM

Just make sure you do it right.

48 Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony

Note: it no long requires a virgin.

PorFin 03-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 1008474)
Just make sure you do it right.

48 Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony

Note: it no longer requires a virgin.

My guess is that the new allowance has more to do with supply/demand challenges than with political correctness ;)