SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   BUG bomb use? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97910-bug-bomb-use.html)

rbyham 03-26-2013 10:05 PM

BUG bomb use?

Having splashed last Friday we are wondering if we should close the boat up at the slip and light off a bug bomb? The boat had been on the hard for 8 years before we took possession and got her splashed. I have seen a few spiders and hornets and wonder what else lurks. What do folks here think?

Minnewaska 03-26-2013 10:47 PM

Re: BUG bomb use?

I hate the thought of those toxic chemicals lingering in my sleeping quarters, unless absolutely necessary. Spiders don't bother me, they eat other critters. Have you seen wasps? That's a good reason.

Maybe get an exterminator and see if there are non-toxic ideas.

CalebD 03-27-2013 12:10 AM

Tell you what, we keep our 27' sailboat moored in the Hudson River nearly 400 yards from shore and we still get spider colonies all season (6 months) long. I'm not sure how they make a living there but they seem to thrive, so they must like it for some reason. The spiders in our area have never bitten anyone that I know of. They don't mind getting squished or being thrown overboard as far as I can tell.

Never set a bug bomb off in my boat. No need to. The spiders will find your rigging very quickly and you end up breathing most of the lingering poison in your cabin.

A good cleaning with simple products like vinegar, water and a simple soap in all the areas you don't normally see (eg., the bilge, under sinks/cabinetry) will go a long way towards making your cabin air smell clean and be pest free.

Omatako 03-27-2013 05:13 AM

I have not used a bug bomb on my boat but there is a good reason for that.

Iused to be into combat shooting as a sport and had a shed in the garden that I had a reloading setup along with storage for the guns.

I set off a bug bomb to get rid of insects and spent the next six months cleaning rust off guns and rereloading gear. They may not all be that corrosive but I would never let one off in my boat.

Just my experience, YMMV

adki110 03-27-2013 09:14 AM

I bought my boat after it had been on the hard for allmost two years in Florida, and moved it to a marina outside of Savanna Georgia. It was pretty well infested with you name it. I set off a bug bomb when we feft it on a Monday. Three days later a friend uncovered the dorades, and four days later opened the companionway, we arrived the next day. No bugs in the last nine months and no side effects. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

JMN412 03-27-2013 09:15 AM

BUG bomb use?

I had a similar problem when I bought my boat. She had been sitting in the previous owners yard for almost 8 years. Every time I went in the cabin I would come out covered in bug and the occasional spider bites. I did plenty of research before I purchased a bug bomb, but that was over a year ago and I haven't had any issues. Plus all my bugs are gone!

zeehag 03-27-2013 10:49 AM

i found bug bombs to be a waste of time and money. i buy good poison here in mexico and toxify the heck out of this boat---the tropical bugs are hardy guys and need a shot of poison frequently. the damthings actually have the nerve to fly into the boat while we read at night.....screens help. whenye see the bugs flying out of grocers plastic bags, you know there is a war in progress.....is wonderful here , as long as the poison lasts....

no, this boat has not been in a yard--this is a daily war ..normal stuff--hauling is gonna be a ###### as there are super weird bugs on land here....

Quickstep192 03-27-2013 12:24 PM

I've thought of it, but most bug bombs are designed for rooms in a house and I worried that it would be way too much vapor in a small cabin. I also think it's explosive if those vapors found a spark.

Taking precautions to make sure there is nothing turned on or in the area that could create a spark or any source of ignition, I occasionally take a can of regular Raid insect spray and starting at the forward end of the boat, spray back and forth as I back out through the companionway and close up. When I've returned after doing this, I found many little insect bodies around, but nothing flying out at me.

rhr1956 03-27-2013 12:35 PM

I've used
with good results on spiders. It lasts until it rains or I wash the boat. Then have to re-spray. We don't get any bugs other than spiders. They make a mess of the boat with their little black spider poops. Plus I got bit by one of the little b!@#$%&s when I picked up a "cotton ball" looking thing in a settee. Hurt like hell for a couple days.

dabnis 03-27-2013 04:07 PM

We have used them in the house, one per room, to combat fleas the cat brought in. They worked fine with no bad effects, that we know of. But, as the cat was an outdoor cat, the fleas came back. We then just basically gave up. Shortly after the cat died and the fleas gradually went away.

Paul T