Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
BUG bomb use?

Having splashed last Friday we are wondering if we should close the boat up at the slip and light off a bug bomb? The boat had been on the hard for 8 years before we took possession and got her splashed. I have seen a few spiders and hornets and wonder what else lurks. What do folks here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BUG bomb use?

I hate the thought of those toxic chemicals lingering in my sleeping quarters, unless absolutely necessary. Spiders don't bother me, they eat other critters. Have you seen wasps? That's a good reason.

Maybe get an exterminator and see if there are non-toxic ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Tell you what, we keep our 27' sailboat moored in the Hudson River nearly 400 yards from shore and we still get spider colonies all season (6 months) long. I'm not sure how they make a living there but they seem to thrive, so they must like it for some reason. The spiders in our area have never bitten anyone that I know of. They don't mind getting squished or being thrown overboard as far as I can tell.

Never set a bug bomb off in my boat. No need to. The spiders will find your rigging very quickly and you end up breathing most of the lingering poison in your cabin.

A good cleaning with simple products like vinegar, water and a simple soap in all the areas you don't normally see (eg., the bilge, under sinks/cabinetry) will go a long way towards making your cabin air smell clean and be pest free.
msmith10 likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I have not used a bug bomb on my boat but there is a good reason for that.

Iused to be into combat shooting as a sport and had a shed in the garden that I had a reloading setup along with storage for the guns.

I set off a bug bomb to get rid of insects and spent the next six months cleaning rust off guns and rereloading gear. They may not all be that corrosive but I would never let one off in my boat.

Just my experience, YMMV
krisscross likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-27-2013

adki110 is on a distinguished road

I bought my boat after it had been on the hard for allmost two years in Florida, and moved it to a marina outside of Savanna Georgia. It was pretty well infested with you name it. I set off a bug bomb when we feft it on a Monday. Three days later a friend uncovered the dorades, and four days later opened the companionway, we arrived the next day. No bugs in the last nine months and no side effects. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.
Old 03-27-2013

JMN412 is on a distinguished road
BUG bomb use?

I had a similar problem when I bought my boat. She had been sitting in the previous owners yard for almost 8 years. Every time I went in the cabin I would come out covered in bug and the occasional spider bites. I did plenty of research before I purchased a bug bomb, but that was over a year ago and I haven't had any issues. Plus all my bugs are gone!
Old 03-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i found bug bombs to be a waste of time and money. i buy good poison here in mexico and toxify the heck out of this boat---the tropical bugs are hardy guys and need a shot of poison frequently. the damthings actually have the nerve to fly into the boat while we read at night.....screens help. whenye see the bugs flying out of grocers plastic bags, you know there is a war in progress.....is wonderful here , as long as the poison lasts....

no, this boat has not been in a yard--this is a daily war ..normal stuff--hauling is gonna be a ###### as there are super weird bugs on land here....

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 03-27-2013

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I've thought of it, but most bug bombs are designed for rooms in a house and I worried that it would be way too much vapor in a small cabin. I also think it's explosive if those vapors found a spark.

Taking precautions to make sure there is nothing turned on or in the area that could create a spark or any source of ignition, I occasionally take a can of regular Raid insect spray and starting at the forward end of the boat, spray back and forth as I back out through the companionway and close up. When I've returned after doing this, I found many little insect bodies around, but nothing flying out at me.
Old 03-27-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I've used
Amazon.com: Star brite Spider Away Natural Spider Repellent, 22 oz: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Star brite Spider Away Natural Spider Repellent, 22 oz: Sports & Outdoors

with good results on spiders. It lasts until it rains or I wash the boat. Then have to re-spray. We don't get any bugs other than spiders. They make a mess of the boat with their little black spider poops. Plus I got bit by one of the little b!@#$%&s when I picked up a "cotton ball" looking thing in a settee. Hurt like hell for a couple days.
Old 03-27-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

We have used them in the house, one per room, to combat fleas the cat brought in. They worked fine with no bad effects, that we know of. But, as the cat was an outdoor cat, the fleas came back. We then just basically gave up. Shortly after the cat died and the fleas gradually went away.

Paul T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.