Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: Otter problem, help!

If you can manage to wait until fall, Otter season opens on November 1st in Washington. You can rid the marina of pests, be a hero to your fellow boaters, and pad the "cruising kitty" a bit. http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00769/wdfw00769.pdf

Okay, so that probably isn't in your plans. Just an alterntaive!!!

Good luck with your project.
kellysails likes this.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I don't mind if I have to do a little clean up. It's just for a few days till I move on and leave the cute and cuddly to their home. (I do understand to live with them may not be quite so flash!)
Just wait until you come across a finger pier with a gaggle of those bastards waiting to pounce on you one early morning. Their hiss will put the fear of God in you, really. I can't envision them as cute and cuddly no more than a diamondback rattler. Nasty ass river otters. Not cute at all. I'm an outdoor type person and love animals but one does have limits.
jrd22 and benesailor like this.
Old 03-28-2013

meteuz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
In Mowat's "Never Cry Wolf", he uses his own urine to carve out
his camp right in the middle of a wolf pack's territory. Might be worth
trying, and the cost is right...
Yeah, if you use your cockpit as a bathroom before they do, you might be able to gross them out. Then they will look for a cleaner boat.
davidpm, jimgo, Lou452 and 1 others like this.
Old 03-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I don't mind if I have to do a little clean up. It's just for a few days till I move on and leave the cute and cuddly to their home. (I do understand to live with them may not be quite so flash!)
With all due respect Mark, Kelly is dealing with River Otters, not harbor seals. From 10-15 yards with their young they might seem cute and cuddly but up close and personal they are not. They can be very territorial, quite vicious and hugely destructive. Not long after we built our house we realized the river behind us was a breeding ground for at least one family of River Otters and they were neither cute nor cuddly when we were out and about walking our dogs. They were very aggressive and bold. A family to the south of us lost one of their Springer Spaniels while they were playing fetch with her, pitching a stick into the water for her to retrieve. An 4' long Otter, put out that she was in the "Otter's river", went after her, dragged her down and drowned her. Not long after we heard rifle shots and not a soul in the Village mourned the decrease in the Otter population by a few. Kelly needs to deal with the animals and the sooner the better least they stake a claim on his transom/cockpit.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And then there's camphor or mothballs. The stuff is toxic, and most critters from wasps to mice and deer will leave if there are mothballs scattered about.
Old 03-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And then there's camphor or mothballs. The stuff is toxic, and most critters from wasps to mice and deer will leave if there are mothballs scattered about.
I certainly agree that non-lethal means of dealing with these creatures is much preferable, which is why I suggested the use of ScatMats in Post#17. My second post, above, was to disabuse any of the misconception that these animals are cute and cuddly in any respect. They are not. Imagine your wife or child emerging from the companionway in the dark during a night aboard to walk up to the lavatory and inadvertently stepping into the welcoming teeth/claws of an equally surprised, frightened, and accordingly dangerous Otter.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-28-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Maybe get some really big mouse traps.
Old 03-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Well, it gets worse. Depending on the area and the type of otter, apparently it may be a protected species, which means you can't harass it, you have to abandon the boat and good luck putting in the insurance claim. You'll never be able to use the boat again, unless you get a crew shirt for the critter.
Old 03-28-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

In our neck of the woods it seems there is an all out war against them. In a neighboring marina one guy put in electric fence all along the finger pier where his boat is tied. It looks like his boat is inside prison walls. At first we did not know what it was for. Now we know I need to get some pics of that and post it, it is quite funny.

I did not hear the familiar click click click of the typical horse fence charger. I was wondering if it was constant voltage. I think the guy is aiming to fry the beasts.
Old 03-28-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

One year in the continual battle against these vile beasts someone swore that if you left a bar of Irish Spring soap by your cleats it would keep them away. HA! Dozens of bars of soap on the docks and the otters started crapping all over them too. Our dog loves to chase them off the docks, but one day he's going to go over the side...
kellysails likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse