Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Hmmm, another 'cautionary tale' to add to the list...

Too bad the Tao apparently never mentions anything regarding the value of a Shakedown Cruise...

TPEP: Beginning of the End | Zen's Sekai II - By Sea

Quote:

I am not a sailor, l guess that is one lesson from this. I can sail, I can handle the boat well and blend with the element, however the moments of pleasure have been slight. There was a few moments when the flow was there, the sequencing , the harmony of movement, with water, wind and self was balanced, beauty. However a real sailor would live for this adventure. I have been measurable since we left. I guess I am just a weekend sailor. I do not want to do this passage stuff again. I would love to fly someplace, rent a boat and explore, then fly home. That would be excellent. Sail around the inland sea, exploring, yup I want that. Weeks at sea, wet, drifting, sleepless, tired, with a broken boat sucks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Too bad the Tao apparently never mentions anything regarding the value of a Shakedown Cruise...
Yes, but the Buddha did say "Life is suffering".
Old 07-08-2013

Well, look where the mystery vessel RUNNING FREE finally fetched up...

Stranded Yacht Resists Removal Efforts in Edgartown - Around Town - Martha's Vineyard, MA Patch

The article appears to be filled with inaccuracies, however... It links to a blog of another RUNNING FREE, the 40' Freedom I referred to earlier, that is now on its way back to Lake Superior on a truck...

It also apparently confuses RUNNING FREE with the abandonment/rescue of the 4 sailors off Charleston during TS Andrea a month ago... Unless, there was another rescue of 4 sailors during that time, that we never heard about...

strange one, indeed... Perhaps this mystery is a bit closer to being solved, however...
Old 07-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Weeks at sea, wet, drifting, sleepless, tired, with a broken boat sucks.
That should be a cautionary statement to anyone looking to do passages. I know it is to me. At this point in my life, I have no desire to cross oceans.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-08-2013

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

Well she's got some of the facts WRONG - way wrong, typical media screw up. I guess the writer thinks there can be only "one" vessel named "Running Free".

>Until they lost their engine during rough weather associated with tropical storm Andrea June 7, the owners of Running Free had enjoyed more than four years of cruising the U.S. and nearby islands from Newfoundland to the Bahamas, as chronicled on the website runningfree.us.<<

My friends that own "Running Free" on the website, they and their boat are doing fine back home in Minnesota! I guess the writer isn't much of a sailor and can't tell the difference between a ketch and wishboned rigged free standing rig.

New boat sailblog -

Old 07-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Quote:
Weeks at sea, wet, drifting, sleepless, tired, with a broken boat sucks.
That should be a cautionary statement to anyone looking to do passages. I know it is to me. At this point in my life, I have no desire to cross oceans.
Yup, bluewater passagemaking certainly ain't for everybody, and yet many wannabees seem strangely steadfast in their refusal to acknowledge that simple reality... (grin)

His one comment pretty much says it all:

Quote:

"When does the Magazine Fun begin?"
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-09-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

The Pacific Eco Passage catamaran had been sailed from San Francisco (Alameda Island) to Ensenada, which would have been a shakedown cruise for many -- but it seems perhaps to have not been enough shaking compared to what was dealt out further offshore.
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
The Pacific Eco Passage catamaran had been sailed from San Francisco (Alameda Island) to Ensenada, which would have been a shakedown cruise for many -- but it seems perhaps to have not been enough shaking compared to what was dealt out further offshore.
Thanks, I'd missed that part...

Sounds like they had an extraordinarily tame trip down the coast, a motor job virtually the entire way, harbor-hopping in company with other boats, featuring only one overnight passage...

Not many people get a view of Point Conception in conditions this placid...

Old 07-09-2013

Ahhh, mystery solved... it involves The Bermuda Triangle, naturally...

Hmmm, wonder how many other sailboats have been abandoned offshore by "novice sailors" recently, that we never heard about? Yup, "the facts & statistics" clearly indicate this sort of thing is on the decline, alright... (grin, bigtime)

Seriously, however, one really has to wonder whether anyone is really keeping track of all these abandoned vessels? Presumably, when that Carnival cruise ship encountered RUNNING FREE at sea a couple of weeks ago and stopped to investigate, they would have contacted the USCG, don't you think? And, that maybe, just maybe, the CG might have informed them she had been abandoned weeks before, and that there would have been nobody aboard, and hence no need to stop and deploy a boarding party?

Quote:

Abandoned Sailboat Washes Ashore at Norton Point

Mark Alan Lovewell
Updated
Monday, July 8, 2013 - 4:22pm

Salvage plans are under way for an abandoned 36-and-a-half-foot sailboat that washed up at Norton Point beach on Friday night.

No one was aboard the Running Free, which was abandoned in the Bermuda Triangle on Mother’s Day.

An earlier report by the Gazette that the sailboat had been the subject of a Coast Guard rescue near Charleston, S.C. was inaccurate.

The sailboat’s owner, Bill Heldenbrand of St. Joseph, Mo., told the Gazette Monday he was sailing alone from Green Cove Springs, Fla. in early May with the ultimate goal of crossing the Atlantic Ocean. His trip didn’t go as planned. Instead, after seven days at sea, the novice sailor encountered high winds and huge seas three-quarters of the way to Bermuda.

Mr. Heldenbrand was rescued by a passing oil tanker and forced to abandon the sailboat. The tanker took him to Quebec City. The Running Free drifted to places unknown — until Friday, when Mr. Heldenbrand received a phone call from Nancy and Bruce Hulme, who spotted the sailboat coming ashore.

“We were sitting on the beach when it approached the shore and we contacted the Coast Guard when it was clear no one was aboard,” Mr. and Mrs. Hulme said in an email to the Gazette. The couple looked up the owner of the boat online and reached out to him via Facebook.

Mr. Heldenbrand said that he is driving from Georgia to Cape Cod to retrieve the sailboat, which he has arranged to have towed to Falmouth.

That move may be completed as early as Monday evening, he said, though a previous attempt on Sunday to free the sailboat from its sandy berth proved unsuccessful.

“It was a surprise that it beached itself on Martha’s Vineyard,” Mr. Heldenbrand said. “I am hoping to get it off the beach and get some repairs.”

A previous version of this story mistakenly identified the sailboat as one that was abandoned near South Carolina last month. -

See more at: Abandoned Sailboat Washes Ashore at Norton Point | The Vineyard Gazette - Martha's Vineyard News

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Ahhh, mystery solved... it involves The Bermuda Triangle, naturally...

Hmmm, wonder how many other sailboats have been abandoned offshore by "novice sailors" recently, that we never heard about? Yup, "the facts & statistics" clearly indicate this sort of thing is on the decline, alright... (grin, bigtime)

Seriously, however, one really has to wonder whether anyone is really keeping track of all these abandoned vessels? Presumably, when that Carnival cruise ship encountered RUNNING FREE at sea a couple of weeks ago and stopped to investigate, they would have contacted the USCG, don't you think? And, that maybe, just maybe, the CG might have informed them she had been abandoned weeks before, and that there would have been nobody aboard, and hence no need to stop and deploy a boarding party?
I think I need to set up a chair on the Jersey shore beaches and watch the abandoned sailboats come rolling in since its now deterrmined by 6 published incidences its now on the increase.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner