Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I think I need to set up a chair on the Jersey shore beaches and watch the abandoned sailboats come rolling in since its now deterrmined by 6 published incidences its now on the increase.
LOL! Actually, I'd give that some serious consideration, if I thought a boat like WOLFHOUND might be among them...

Permit me to remind you again, that I have never claimed anything more specific than the number of these sort of abandonments SEEM TO BE on the rise, that is simply my IMPRESSION...

I'm hard pressed to recall another season where we've seen as many yachts abandoned in the North Atlantic, as we have over the past 6 months or so... Of course, I must acknowledge the possibility that this year has simply been a statistical anomaly, and there may not be as many sailing yachts abandoned off the East coast for years to come...

However, based on what I'm seeing these days - how 'casually' some of these boats seem to be abandoned, and how many of them are still afloat months afterward - I wouldn't bet on it... (grin)
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Could part of this equation be that there SEEM to be more boats manned by the nouveau riche, with often less experienced crews? Those with big bucks have little incentive to risk staying aboard when it gets a bit uncomfortable.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Should the title of this thread be changed to:

"Sailboat pauses off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew, Sailboat keeps sailing"
chef2sail, G20 and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Should the title of this thread be changed to:

"Sailboat pauses off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew, Sailboat keeps sailing"
LOL! If so, that might be a first for a SP Cruiser... (grin)

Old 07-10-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

And Sail Magazine published a new article, "Life At 55",

Life at 55 | Sail Magazine

about how 55 footers are the new 45 footers, now manageable thanks to all the advances in electronics and gear!
Old 07-10-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

I would like to publish the letter from the captain of the SP Cruiser that was abandoned. This was on the IP Owners forum:
All,

Many of you are aware of the SP Cruiser that was abandoned by the delivery crew off of Cape Lookout, NC earlier this month. Dramatic FLIR video from the USCG helicopter that pulled the crew to safety is now on YouTube, among other places. One of the crew members called me yesterday to tell me of the events leading to their abandonment. The call was because he felt he needed to thank the people that built the yacht that took care of them through the storm with 55+ knot winds and 30+ foot seas. I asked for a brief written report that I could share with our owners. His email is below:

Dear Bill :

I want to recap briefly the events that lead to us abandoning the Island Packet SP Cruiser off the coast of North Carolina on March 7, 2013. This is a major endorsement for your boat and I was very thankful to be on an Island Packet during that storm.

First, it was the hope of the delivery crew that we would be able to get south of the predicted storm before it pushed offshore. Unfortunately, the storm didn’t watch TV and know it was projected to follow a more northwesterly path. It caught us with winds over Force 8 and seas in the 30 foot plus range approximately 25 miles off Cape Lookout.

We lost engine power due to a fuel starvation issue (although the generator worked continually). Without power and way on we lost steerage. We were at the mercy of the storm. The yacht was knocked down at least once under bare poles and the windows in the cabin house were remarkably leak free even under when submerged under a foot of water. I fell from the high (starboard) side seat across the boat landing on the windows during a knockdown and was surprised the windows took my roughly 300 pounds of weight.

The USCG report of the yacht “taking on water” was an exaggeration. To me, “taking on water” means more water is coming aboard than can be pumped out. We were taking about ½ gallon of water aboard every time a 30 foot sea would break over the boat, some of it through the bell ringer tube! I suspect that the yacht is still intact and afloat out there somewhere.

I would recommend a better defroster system be installed on the SP Cruiser, as we had to contend with constantly fogging up windows in the conditions we encountered. More handholds everywhere (there never seem to be enough) and please check the security/durability of your push button latches. We had a lot of loose gear rattling around after the cabinets below opened up during the knockdown and severe rolling.

Thanks, again, for a terrific yacht!

Capt. JS

Of further interest, one of the USCG rescue crew (who also happens to be a sailor and ocean racer with trans-Pacific experience) passed along his assessment that the vessel was not taking on water and that the rescue was more likely driven by crew exhaustion after the engine failure. All of this is a real world endorsement of the seakeeping ability of the SP Cruiser!
All the best,

Bill
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
I would like to publish the letter from the captain of the SP Cruiser that was abandoned. This was on the IP Owners forum:
All,

Many of you are aware of the SP Cruiser that was abandoned by the delivery crew off of Cape Lookout, NC earlier this month. Dramatic FLIR video from the USCG helicopter that pulled the crew to safety is now on YouTube, among other places. One of the crew members called me yesterday to tell me of the events leading to their abandonment. The call was because he felt he needed to thank the people that built the yacht that took care of them through the storm with 55+ knot winds and 30+ foot seas. I asked for a brief written report that I could share with our owners. His email is below:

Dear Bill :

I want to recap briefly the events that lead to us abandoning the Island Packet SP Cruiser off the coast of North Carolina on March 7, 2013. This is a major endorsement for your boat and I was very thankful to be on an Island Packet during that storm.

First, it was the hope of the delivery crew that we would be able to get south of the predicted storm before it pushed offshore. Unfortunately, the storm didn’t watch TV and know it was projected to follow a more northwesterly path. It caught us with winds over Force 8 and seas in the 30 foot plus range approximately 25 miles off Cape Lookout.

We lost engine power due to a fuel starvation issue (although the generator worked continually). Without power and way on we lost steerage. We were at the mercy of the storm. The yacht was knocked down at least once under bare poles and the windows in the cabin house were remarkably leak free even under when submerged under a foot of water. I fell from the high (starboard) side seat across the boat landing on the windows during a knockdown and was surprised the windows took my roughly 300 pounds of weight.

The USCG report of the yacht “taking on water” was an exaggeration. To me, “taking on water” means more water is coming aboard than can be pumped out. We were taking about ½ gallon of water aboard every time a 30 foot sea would break over the boat, some of it through the bell ringer tube! I suspect that the yacht is still intact and afloat out there somewhere.

I would recommend a better defroster system be installed on the SP Cruiser, as we had to contend with constantly fogging up windows in the conditions we encountered. More handholds everywhere (there never seem to be enough) and please check the security/durability of your push button latches. We had a lot of loose gear rattling around after the cabinets below opened up during the knockdown and severe rolling.

Thanks, again, for a terrific yacht!

Capt. JS

Of further interest, one of the USCG rescue crew (who also happens to be a sailor and ocean racer with trans-Pacific experience) passed along his assessment that the vessel was not taking on water and that the rescue was more likely driven by crew exhaustion after the engine failure. All of this is a real world endorsement of the seakeeping ability of the SP Cruiser!
All the best,

Bill
Good write up. The red line for rescue always seems to be "We're taking on water."

It's interesting that he says the USCG report is exaggerating this. My hunch is that the skipper/crew on the boat made this statement in the discussion with the CG - as it is that clear red line for rescue.

That's what I respect most about the CG. They won't argue with you, they'll just rescue you.

But if anyone is going to exaggerate, it will likely be the skipper on that boat in tough conditions. We've seen that a lot.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
And Sail Magazine published a new article, "Life At 55",

Life at 55 | Sail Magazine

about how 55 footers are the new 45 footers, now manageable thanks to all the advances in electronics and gear!
Ah, yes... the New Normal...

Quote:

Stewart agrees. “The customers for our Moody DS54 aren’t going to cruise around the world,” she says. “They don’t have the time, so they aren’t interested in a captain’s cabin.”

Amazing to hear how "easily" boats of this size can be sailed... Especially by couples pushing 60... the forces involved apparently so modest, and "manageable", all it takes is the push of a button from time to time...

Still, I'll take mine with a carbon fiber pole, please...

Old 07-11-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Jon- You sound like the Who- "I hope I die before I get old". We are on the wrong side of sixty and hope to sail including passage making into our mid seventies. We have done things I think you think unwise from your statements on other threads such as leading everything aft. Still the Dutchman, powered winches and Autopilot make the day in and day sailing feasible for us. We kept it down to 46' in the belief that if all the "advances"( all winches are powered) fail even in our decrepitude we could still sail the boat. Believe it's much harder (but not impossible) once you get above the mid forties LOA to have a boat that runs on muscle power alone. We have mast pulpits and winches on the mast with the sails rigged to be reefable from there if necessary. Hell the main and genny weigh so much I can't get them off without help from a whippersnapper. I would have no problem with a 50'er with split rig but agree with you many of the 50'er now are unsailable by even a bunch of 30 somethings once the power fails.
What I don't get about the IP post is I thought it was a sailboat. ?What about putting up a storm jib/trysail BEFORE it got untenable and fore reaching out to sea if there wasn't enough room for a run with a drogue out.

P.S.- two days ago spent the night in Bristol, R.I. near an Amel. Folks in the dinghy looked to have ten years on me. Looked like the boat has done and will do some miles.
Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Jon- You sound like the Who- "I hope I die before I get old". We are on the wrong side of sixty and hope to sail including passage making into our mid seventies. We have done things I think you think unwise from your statements on other threads such as leading everything aft. Still the Dutchman, powered winches and Autopilot make the day in and day sailing feasible for us. We kept it down to 46' in the belief that if all the "advances"( all winches are powered) fail even in our decrepitude we could still sail the boat. Believe it's much harder (but not impossible) once you get above the mid forties LOA to have a boat that runs on muscle power alone. We have mast pulpits and winches on the mast with the sails rigged to be reefable from there if necessary. Hell the main and genny weigh so much I can't get them off without help from a whippersnapper. I would have no problem with a 50'er with split rig but agree with you many of the 50'er now are unsailable by even a bunch of 30 somethings once the power fails.
What I don't get about the IP post is I thought it was a sailboat. ?What about putting up a storm jib/trysail BEFORE it got untenable and fore reaching out to sea if there wasn't enough room for a run with a drogue out.

P.S.- two days ago spent the night in Bristol, R.I. near an Amel. Folks in the dinghy looked to have ten years on me. Looked like the boat has done and will do some miles.
LOL! Hey, what can I say, I'm just a wimp about this, I suppose...

We all have different comfort levels about the sizes of boats we're comfortable sailing shorthanded, is all... Mine now roundabout 40-42 feet, the H-R 43 I recently ran up from Trinidad is about the upper limit of what I'd care to sail regularly (66+ feet above the water is about as high as I EVER want to go up a rig, for one thing (grin)) 80 lb anchors are about as much as I care to deal with, and so on... The main on this H-R is pretty big, about as much as I'd care to deal with in a tropical squall in the middle of the night, and so on... (No moon, no radar on that trip, we came close to getting caught with our pants down a couple of times) Oh, and I probably should mention, I'm one of those wusses who considers 30 knots to be a LOT of wind, and frankly - the forces involved on 50+ footers in such conditions, whether aided by powered winches or not, simply scare me...

Unfortunately, the boats I'm asked to deliver keep getting bigger, yet I keep getting older... Not the ideal trend, over the long haul... (grin)

We all have different levels of comfort regarding this stuff, it's as simple as that... My 'threshold' seems a bit more conservative than most, is all...

I've no doubt you've made a superb choice with your Outbound, however... A 40-42' version of the same would come as close as anything out there now to being my own Dream Boat...