Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Clowns!

*Decided to sail with a questionable forecast (nor'easter in March!!?!) into the gulf stream and into the graveyard of the Atlantic.

*Motored. Didn't sail, hove to or try to ride out the storm in open water.

*Tried to enter an inlet during a storm. And the inlets mentioned aren't even recommended under calm conditions for a sailboat.

*Could have easily taken a different route with little loss of time. The ICW is right there. Many sailors take it to Beaufort and then pop out to the ocean, even when they could safely transit via the ocean.

The captain is really a graduate of the Merchant Marine academy and an experienced delivery captain? Doesn't sound like it.

I'm not saying that I haven't made mistakes sailing. We all do. But it's this kind of ignorance that often leads to a dangerous Coast Guard rescue and loss of a half million dollar boat.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Also need to add they depended on their IPOD for weather forecast while at sea.
NautiG likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Plus, I am fairly certain their lines were not led back to the cockpit!
Minnesail likes this.
Old 03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
No need for lines, looks like they were motoring.

Why did they not top off the fuel tanks prior to departure? Looks like they planned to motor most of the time. Would help to not loose fuel suction and they are lucky the rough weather did not churn up the crud in the tanks and clog the fuel filters.
Old 03-28-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Artilce said it was an IP41, didn't it?
They made some questionable choices and didn't know a major inlet was closed.
From reading the article it seems both outlets were open earlier and only closed while they were in route to them, and that the CG would actually meet them at the entrance to guide them in. Looks like conditions deteriorated faster than expected.
Old 03-28-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I suspect they avoided heading farther offshore because of their concern about entering the Gulf Stream during the storm.
Old 03-28-2013

From Sun Paper:
"Even my father has said, 'Why go out in those conditions? Why not wait a few days?'" recalled Southward.

"As professionals, our job is to deliver the vessel as quickly and safely as possible," Schoenberger said.

Looks like they are no longer professionals.
One likes this.
Old 03-28-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Why did they not just put the sails up and head out to open water instead of risking the CG's lives in a dangerous night rescue. They say they are sailors- then sail......

The conditions do not look that bad, paper says 40 knot wind and 10 foot seas. That is a day sail. Why does the sailor say he was lifted 30 feet but when you see video, you do not see anything rising and falling 30 feet?
I wonder if they really knew much about sailboats. We had a captain for my agency who moved a sailboat we had seized. He was doing fine, motoring it in, until he put it in reverse, and couldn't understand why a 40 HP motor could stop a 20 ton vessel going six knots, in twenty feet. (Hey, it always worked when their was 1000 horsepower).

The concrete dock stopped it, only taking a medium sized chunk out of the bow.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Wow... just, WOW... Where does one even begin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Waiting to see if jon or Dave know these delivery skippers.
Nope, not me... I would remember if I had ever seen a yacht delivery captain who weighed 300 pounds...

Actually, one of the most surprising aspect of this sorry saga, is that these fools bypassed the legendary 32 oz. Prime Rib dinner at Coinjock Marina, in favor of the much longer route out around Hatteras...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
They were professionals....just doing the job that only professionals can do.
Sorry, but nothing could be further from the truth... Rarely does one see an example of a more profound ignorance and dismissal of the risks of rounding Cape Hatteras in the winter. The fact that they even considered any of those inlets as viable bail-out options conclusively eliminates the possibility that they were anything remotely akin to "experienced East coast delivery captains". Despite the fact they may have possessed some sort of ticket from the Merchant Marine Academy, doesn't make some reporter's description accurate... ANYONE can say they are a 'delivery captain', after all, plenty of folks out there making such a claim...

Quote:
Also need to add they depended on their IPOD for weather forecast while at sea.
Yeah, yet another example of an "advances in technology (that) only enhance safety, increase abilities and add enjoyment... And mean an increase in "seamanship" ..." (grin)

Quote:

"The storm went off-******", he said.
Yeah, don't you just hate it when that happens? Who'd a thunk THAT could ever occur? "Hey, although a serious winter storm was drawing a bead on Hatteras before we would make it around Cape Lookout and cack into Morehead, my iPhone told me the 'waves' would be 'bumpy, but manageable'..."

Again, absolutely mind-boggling that a 'professsional mariner' would expect the most powerful winter storm of 2013 to that point, to behave precisely as forecast in the vicinity of Cape Hatteras...

Quote:

By 10 a.m. they'd pulled within a mile and a half ó they could see the beach houses of Hatteras village.

"In our minds, this is almost over," Schoenberger said. "In an hour, we'll be standing on the deck with a cold drink."
One really has to wonder whether these clowns have ever run an East coast inlet... To be off Hatteras Inlet in a developing winter storm, and assume a safe entry is a done deal, or virtually guaranteed, well... Seriously?

Quote:

The choices were now two: eight hours north with a following sea to Oregon Inlet, or 12 hours into gale-force winds to Morehead City.

They headed north, the waves 14 feet high and breaking at the crests. An hour later came another call: "Andante, we have to tell you that Oregon Inlet has been closed to navigation."

"That hit me like a punch in the throat," Southward said.

Now there was no option but to turn south and push into the Gulf Stream...
Actually, there may have been another option - to have run off to the north, and back towards Cape Henry and the Chesapeake Entrance...

Quote:
Why did they not just put the sails up and head out to open water instead of risking the CG's lives in a dangerous night rescue. They say they are sailors- then sail......

The conditions do not look that bad, paper says 40 knot wind and 10 foot seas. That is a day sail. Why does the sailor say he was lifted 30 feet but when you see video, you do not see anything rising and falling 30 feet?
Actually, after viewing the degree to which that boat is laid over on her ear by some of the gusts by the windage of the rig and freeboard/pilothouse alone, not sure unfurling any sail in those conditions on that thing would have been a particularly good idea... (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
The first IP SP Kroozer I saw at the boat show a few years ago remains the only 'sailboat' I've ever seen with jib sheets led thru rope clutches in the aft cockpit... Not exactly the sort of rig I'd choose to attempt to beat a major winter storm out around Hatteras...

I could go on, and I no doubt will... (grin) Sure would love to hear their rationale for undertaking such a voyage, in such a boat that was ICW-capable, in the face of such weather, via a route offshore that was far longer than going south to Morehead inside on The Ditch... I'm sorry, but placing the lives of CG Rescue Swimmers and helo crews in such danger by the willful excercise of such stupidity, well... if it does not verge on the criminal, it certainly qualifies as amoral, in my book...
Old 03-28-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Their being out there shows a complete lack of knowledge of the most elemental common sense of sailing. "Delivery captains?".....please! Maybe they delivered pizzas somewhere.
souljour2000 likes this.
Old 03-28-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Jon, don't hold back, tell us what you really think about this. Seriously, to describe these guys as 'professionals' is ludicrous. Just so many bad decisions. They are extremely lucky to be alive.