Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

I sat at the docks at Great Bridge on the south side of the lock during this storm and watched the water drop over two feet due to the wind. Even inland, it was nasty. A delivery captain who chooses to go around Hatteras rather than take the ICW to Beaufort is not very bright in the first place, and in the face of that forecast - and that storm was forecast well in advance - needs to be examined for an IQ deficiency.
The article says "4 - 6 foot seas". No way. I took a sound recording of that forecast for my blog - the forecast was for 22 foot plus seas. No idea where they got their forecast from, unless they were mistakenly listening to the Albermarle Sound forecast, or the lower Chesapeake Bay. Even Pamlico sound was forecast 4 - 6 feet, so maybe that was it.
And as noted here, anyone who knows anything about that stretch of coast knows those are not sailboat inlets along there - the smart move was south to the Beaufort inlet or north back to the Chesapeake.
This guy may have some experience, but he seems to lack good sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

So any news of what happened to the boat? Maybe heading to Europe?
Old 03-29-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I'd be curious to see what references these guys provide, if they advertise their services online or somewhere else. Seems they haven't had much experience with this kind of delivery. Had they even done an offshore delivery before? It seems pretty obvious that they've never sailed and only done power boats, where they may have had the benefit of greater power (and a hull designed to be more stable under power) to muscle their boat through difficult conditions.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Is it possible that the owner offered a fixed amount for delivering the boat to FL?
Say an amount like $3 - $5K. Is this kind of arrangement ever used for deliveries or is it almost always a per diem?

Sheer speculation but if it were a lump sum our intrepid yah... delivery captains decide to maximize their earnings per day by trying to do it as fast as possible by going outside straight down the coast instead of winding through the ICW.

With a water draft of 3'8" (< 4') I can't quite fathom what would induce them to have gone outside instead of using the ditch. There must have been some sort of motivation, however misguided.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-29-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Sheer speculation but if it were a lump sum our intrepid yah... delivery captains decide to maximize their earnings per day by trying to do it as fast as possible by going outside straight down the coast instead of winding through the ICW.

With a water draft of 3'8" (< 4') I can't quite fathom what would induce them to have gone outside instead of using the ditch. There must have been some sort of motivation, however misguided.
I think you answered your own question, the ICW is slow and there isn't much space. If you have a crew and experience, I don't know why you wouldn't go offshore for a couple of days, weather permitting of course.

That said, I think I'd soak up the time aboard a $500k boat as much as I could
Old 03-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Just as in the "Bounty" situation, I see a lawsuit emerging from this fiasco.
Old 03-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Is it possible that the owner offered a fixed amount for delivering the boat to FL?
Say an amount like $3 - $5K. Is this kind of arrangement ever used for deliveries or is it almost always a per diem?

An attempt to maximize their per diem earnings on a flat rate delivery might been their possible rationale for going around Hatteras - IF, in fact, one would save a considerable amount of time and distance by doing so...

However, it is quite the opposite... From Mile 0, the inside distance on the ICW to Morehead (where they would need to re-fuel that Island Packet trawler) is 204 statute miles... The distance out around Hatteras, Cape Lookout shoals, and back into Morehead is 70 statute miles longer... The discrepancy from Hampton Roads/Thimble Shoals would be slightly less, but the fact that the outside distance is so much longer for a boat planning a stop in Morehead or Beaufort is what makes their choice particularly difficult to fathom, to me...

Sure, running the gauntlet of bridges on the first 20 miles of the Ditch can involve considerable delays, the primary reason why I often choose to do so at night, when they all open on demand... That's the only rationale I can come up with, these guys were afraid of running the ICW at night, and thought they'd reach Morehead sooner by running non-stop outside...

Again, difficult to fathom, considering the fact that once one makes it thru the industrialized section of the Elizabeth River to Great Bridge at Mile 12, the next 190 SM to Morehead is by far the easiest section of the entire Waterway to run after dark, in my opinion...
rockDAWG and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-29-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if that half million dollar boat had belonged to them, would they have still have attempted an outside trip in the face of the weather warnings? I am sure that there are lots of skilled, real professionals out there who deliver boats promptly, efficiently, and without damage. We never hear about them because there's nothing out of the ordinary...just a job completed without incident. But, in the two sailing magazines that I take, and, to a degree, on some of these forums, it seems that a high percentage of articles are "listen to me, here's what went wrong on my bluewater delivery...boats aren't up to standard, or weren't maintained properly". Never the delivery person's fault. Generally, the boats being delivered are really nice, expensive boats. Look down at the end of the article and usually article will have a little blurb about the delivery person/author and his boat. Most of the time, his personal boat is some old shoe not worth very much. I think some of these guys may intentionally stress the boats they are delivering....after all, if it breaks, they don't have to pay for it. Several years ago, one wrote an article about a 1600 mile offshore delivery of a friend's ten year old Catalina 320. That's the boat I have....I don't pretend that it is bluewater...I bought it for inshore boating, but I read the article to see what he would say. He trashed the C320 because a 10 year old boat had some port leaks...he didn't check before going out, engine was noisy, he had trouble heaving to and wound up on a forereach in the right direction, and lots of things like autopilots that he installed for the trip failed. Just as he suspected, it wasn't a good boat for offshore, and his piece of junk was. But the really telling thing was, the owner aranged insurance for the trip for up to 200 miles off shore....the delivery man/author promptly decided to go further out than that, just because he wanted to....not avoiding a storm. I think a lot of these guys would do differently if it was their boat.

Last edited by NCC320; 03-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
There have many posts on SailNet about Island Packets being blue-water boats. I don't get it.
I am not going to armchair QB these guys... I wasn't there at the time in those conditions. I'll leave it at that. Somewhere in the reading that I did, I picked up that these guys were getting paid $7K for the delivery, and that the owner is supportive of their efforts, and decision to ditch.

Island Packet DOES build SOME bluewater boats. However the SP Cruiser ain't one of 'em.

Essentially the SP cruiser is a trawler with a bigger mast and a sail;

These were introduced in 2008, and seem to be targeted at the crowd that can't decide if they want a sailboat, or a trawler (or a Winnebago). 41' LOA and 3' 8" draft, with 110HP diesel.

Not my cup of tea, but Island Packet seems to be selling a bunch of them. Prices in YW range from $300K to $625K.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-29-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
.. and that the owner is supportive of their efforts, and decision to ditch...

So that means insurance will be covering this one?

I hope it is not Boat/US or my insurance will be going up next year thanks to these knuckleheads...