Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Unfortunately, we now live in a culture that has decided it will make the world safe for everyone in every situation, damned the cost, damned the idea of personal responsibility and consequences for raw stupidity. We've decided to protect the stupid and irresponsible at the expense of everyone else. I feel bad for the kids on USCG duty, ski patrols, and mountaineering patrols who have to risk their lives because of irresponsible, ignorant, idiots. Ask me how I feel about this issue.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-30-2013

allio is on a distinguished road

I would say here that often the young people on rescue duty the thrill and experience of the job is why they do it, and they want to be called out, to test their skills etc. I'm into extreme whitewater kayaking and some of my best stories are where it all went tats up and we lived to tell the story.

edit: or when i dived into the midst of another trip that was going tats up and pulled their monkey asses out of the fire.....

Last edited by allio; 03-30-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
My insurance rates went up $300 this year(Boat US). No claims. .??
Yeah. Mine went up by $200... Last year it went up by $50... Despite no claims in either year (never had a claim).

So I called them and asked what was up with the premium? They told me that my deductible went down to $500. I asked them to raise the deductible back up to $1K. My net premium this year went down by $20...

Insurance is a racket...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Yeah. Mine went up by $200... Last year it went up by $50... Despite no claims in either year (never had a claim).

So I called them and asked what was up with the premium? They told me that my deductible went down to $500. I asked them to raise the deductible back up to $1K. My net premium this year went down by $20...

Insurance is a racket...
Hmmm, that "diminishing deductible" was supposed to come at no extra charge. I never even thought of asking them to raise it up again. Thanks for the idea!

As for that IP boat, I'm no expert, but 110 HP sounds like very little power to keep a boat like that under control in tough conditions. If those delivery guys were powerboat guys, I suspect it was a very different situation than they were used to.

As for the issue of whether our insurance would go up because of these clowns, doesn't the insurance industry separate people into "risk pools" or something like that? I'd expect delivery captains to be in one risk pool with a certain rate structure (I assume their certifications requires them to carry professional liability insurance), and recreational boaters a totally different one. So while it's fun to vent about how a couple of clowns like there make all our rates go up, I'm not sure sure it would unless someone else here has direct knowledge of how the industry works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Common, this is peanuts

Insurance went up because of Sandy. Think global.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-31-2013

Haaa another sinking awakens the armchair quarterbacks with the unfounded speculation stories. Soon it will hard to tell the true facts or the speculative "facts" ..grin.

Stay tuned

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-31-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

WHAT A LOAD OF BS....Someone makes an error in judgement, gets in trouble and call's on the rescue authorities (in this case Coast Guard). I am almost amazed at the predictability of their cry's of foul from the obviously well informed and well traveled, seasoned sailors on this and every other similar forum. This in turn morphs into cost of the rescue and who should pay(No one should pay its humanity), followed by how this will effect ME in the pocket with increased insurance(bad luck if you want insurance pay you dues), and an atrocious drain on the public purse to fund these rescues of our fellow man( the cost of rescues has already been budgeted for in the yearly running cost). May I say If it is such an affront that our fellow man will at some time come unstuck and need help of some description then why not disband the Coast Guard and perhaps the Navy or all armed forces with a rescue component. Lets make it Law that only those that can pay to be rescued, be rescued. we could include Ambulance and fire fighters, No money no help. How about Police lets have them only protect the important people that can Pay for their time, If you dial 911 or 999 or 000 it will be $100 for the first 15min then $100 for each hour or part there of. Most of us are humanitarian and have ethics and will do what we can for our fellow man. People make mistakes and things do not always go as planed. Those guys would not have agreed with each other to go out and get rescued, loose the beautiful boat and be ridiculed by these adventurous folk bashing away on their keyboards. We have rescue services because we need them, the civilized world would be a sad place without these brave and caring souls who put their lives on the line for everyone, no questions asked. And they do it because they love it. Thanks for letting me rant I need it.
eherlihy and DJR351 like this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 03-31-2013 at 03:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonV For This Useful Post:
DJR351 (07-12-2013)
Old 03-31-2013

ok

Good

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-31-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road

They were at the corner of the Triangle. Any sailor who's been there knows Hattras and Oregon and never possible for sailboats (sure, they've been done...but stupid to try) and at Orcracoke (as the others) the channel changes daily. Prudent skippers approach and call the Coast Guard to lead them in (which despite what most say about the CG they do without hesitation). I want to add more about the CG, seriously, most people dread encounters and opine that they are rude, young and stupid...I've not at all found these to be true. One of the stupider things I've done added to my belief; I was leaving Atlantic Highlands and went to get a chart of Atlantic City. With the chart in my hand, the clerk said I didn't need it. He said Atlantic City's approach was straight forward and easy. So being poor I saved the money. Later, as it dawned on me why there were breakers all around me I ran aground on the shoal probably off Little Egg Inlet. I called the CG., gave them my position and they checked the chart for me and gave me a heading to get clear. Prompt and polite even tho I had obviously been an idiot. As for being aground, with each wave I'd be lifted off, so I'd motor until I got stuck again....several times till clear. Miles offshore, stuck, teetering on the keel...oh yeah, there was a mellow experience....my Airedale was looking for a new skipper....

But I've digressed. Never do what they did. Head to deep water and heave to....throw out a storm drogue....chill. I disagree with the gloom and doom. Every boat that hove to in the Gale 10 of Fastnet 79 came through it unscathed. Heave to!
Old 03-31-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
They were professionals....just doing the job that only professionals can do.
There's a lot of delivery skipper bravado these days. Doesn't matter the weather we can do it, we're delivery skippers.

Like its something totally different from being a cruisng skipper? Like the weather abates, or the seas arnt as rough? Or delivery skippers make better decisions?

And why the word "delivery"? does that make you stronger, tougher than the word "passage", or "cruise"?

Its not been a good 12 months for the so called "professionals" what with the Bounty et al...

Mark