Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Usually no need to have a flattened main when deep reefed.
On the contrary, if deep reefed and flattened a sail will have little 'drive'/power for upwind work, ... especially if in big waves or very steep chop.

1. Flat sails are for 'speed sailing' in relatively flat water (think of this as a 'high gear' shape);
1a. full drafted or increased draft is for 'power' to punch through when in steep/big waves (think of this as low or lower gear shape).
The outhaul(s) can be equated to your 'gear selector' in an automobile.
To 'best' do this, adjust your outhaul to get the maximum speed from your knotmeter; otherwise, you can wind up being in high gear when you want to go 'up' a big hill. ....

(Obviously when not racing, you dont want to go very much beyond 'hull speed' in a displacement boat, etc. etc. etc.)

2. Reefing controls the amount of heeling.

Two different functions controlling two entirely different issues.

;-)

It seems like every time you post, I learn something.

After I posted about mainsail shape, I was thinking, "it was the pounding from the tall steep wave profile that sent them packing, not heel or lack of control". That was likely a function of the lightweight boat and it's flat-bottomed hull.

I wonder if my Formosa 41 with its finer clipper bow entry and full keel would have fared any better? Methinks the teeth would still be loosening from our skulls and with wife and kids aboard, at this point in our sailing career, we would have turned back earlier than they did.

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Why are their lifelines so loose? (This is an honest question. Rephrased: are my lifelines too tight?)
good point. noticed that too.
Old 03-29-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Growing up, in rough weather my Old Man was given to say:

"Kid, the boat's tougher than you are"

or, a slight variation:

"The boat can take it if you can"

It's been well-said here above, looks like the boat was tough enough and set up properly for the weather, but this experienced and seasoned crew of two, after getting a good taste of it, realized they didn't want to have to be that "tough" and run the risk of getting too cold and exhausted out there. Wise decision.
Old 03-29-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Here is a good video of a captain making a wise decision to return to port after experiencing conditions that made for an uncomfortable ride:
Thanks for posting. Excellent video, showing two experienced crews with great teamwork and total control of their boat. I wish my wife would and is willing to do this with me.

I totally disagree if anyone said they should have stayed in port. We are sailors. Knowing your risk and taking it has its reward. Life is boring sitting at the dock.

I am jut sayin'.
One likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-29-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

I agree. I would have gone out in that too (I enjoy that kind of weather, but my other half doesn't). I don't see a problem going out and check to see if it's too uncomfortable for a long stint. Personally I would probably have kept going, but with more than myself aboard, I would have returned too.

In other words, I think they made the right decisions all along.
Old 03-29-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
Why are their lifelines so loose? (This is an honest question. Rephrased: are my lifelines too tight?)
Structurally looser life lines (and jack lines) will be 'stronger' vs. impact and 'side forces' (load applied at ~90° to the long axis of the wire.

Mathematically, with a 'tight' cable or line if you apply a load perpendicularly, the resultant loads 'along' the cable or line begin to approach 'infinity' (dividing by the trigonmetric SINE of the angle .... dividing by 'near zero' winds up being a very LARGE number, or a VERY large applied stress); however the innate elasticity/stretch of the cable or line at max. stretch will relieve those angles (making those angles larger than 'zero' at the two attachment points of the cable or line).

Suffice it to say that your lifelines need to be well over ten times stronger than the max. impact load expected and applied at 90° to the long axis of the wire ... and then you always add a 'safety factor' on top of that.

Obviously you dont want 'sloppy loose' lifelines as that promotes a 'functional' failure.

Rx: dont make your life lines or jack lines 'bar tight'; a little 'slop' in the wire is 'useful' from a 'strength' viewpoint.

Last edited by RichH; 03-29-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

So in other words, slightly loose lifelines and (well) inboard mounted stanchions would be best - assuming the deck was strong enough?
Old 03-29-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

I wouldnt be in agreement for 'well inboard' stanchions ... as that would be a 'functional' failure or give rise to an undue and increasing difficulty going forward, etc.

My practice is not to 'depend' on life lines, for me they only clearly illustrate a 'boundary' that I shouldnt exceed .... and I wear a bombproof (combo short & long) tether and harness. :-)
jackdale likes this.
Old 03-29-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Structurally looser life lines (and jack lines) will be 'stronger' vs. impact and 'side forces' (load applied at ~90° to the long axis of the wire.

Mathematically, with a 'tight' cable or line if you apply a load perpendicularly, the resultant loads 'along' the cable or line begin to approach 'infinity' (dividing by the trigonmetric SINE of the angle .... dividing by 'near zero' winds up being a very LARGE number, or a VERY large applied stress); however the innate elasticity/stretch of the cable or line at max. stretch will relieve those angles (making those angles larger than 'zero' at the two attachment points of the cable or line).

Suffice it to say that your lifelines need to be well over ten times stronger than the max. impact load expected and applied at 90° to the long axis of the wire ... and then you always add a 'safety factor' on top of that.

Obviously you dont want 'sloppy loose' lifelines as that promotes a 'functional' failure.

Rx: dont make your life lines or jack lines 'bar tight'; a little 'slop' in the wire is 'useful' from a 'strength' viewpoint.
Maybe a picture would help. I drew this up a couple years ago. One of the biggest mistakes people can make is trying to relate the breaking tension of lifelines to their own weight. As you point out, it needs to be many many times greater that your own weight:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-29-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Oh, my!!, the video brings back memories of the commercial salmon troller my Dad and I had. We would go out the San Francisco ship channel, in the dark, in far worse stuff than in the video to "make money". About the dumbest thing I ever did. I am not religous but used to pray "Dear God, please get me out of this and I will never do it again". Well, he did and I lied.

Years later we sailed a Coronado 25 out the Gate for 10 years, but were a WHOLE lot more carefull about the sea conditions., Being pushed by a schedule or for other motives can be harmfull to one's health. A picture of a boat nearly identical to ours, below:

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
A couple wisely decides to head back in...-alpine.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.