SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   A couple wisely decides to head back in... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97947-couple-wisely-decides-head-back.html)

jameswilson29 03-28-2013 12:28 PM

A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Here is a good video of a captain making a wise decision to return to port after experiencing conditions that made for an uncomfortable ride:


miatapaul 03-28-2013 01:44 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Seems to me the "wise" decision would have been to not go out. They saw exactly what the weather forecast said it was going to be like. I hope she was not hurt when trying to get the jib out, looked like she caught herself with her face, ouch. That is why you check the weather before heading out, but I think just looking would have been enough to determine it was a bad idea.

flandria 03-28-2013 01:56 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Rarely does one get to see something like this. Best point, in my opinion, was that the "crew" was in control at all times. Yes, it might have been wiser to not even try a departure under these conditions, but it does look like they are an experienced crew.

PCP 03-28-2013 02:19 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Those are normal winter conditions around here. No breakers they say gusting 40 but I don't see the sea that would raise. It seems to me 25 to 30K. The waves are nor even big for what is usual in winter (15 to 20ft is quite usual).

They turned around because they feel not like to go on not because it was dangerous. And they needed not sail for 50 hours either. They had two ports that would remain Open with much worse conditions at about 13/17 hours and both with an easy entrance (Nazaré and Peniche).

Yes that is a dangerous coast and frequently on winter it is better to sail directly from Porto or Leixões to Nazaré (85Nm) or Peniche (115NM) without trying to enter Figueira da Foz were waves can form on the river mouth.

With some wind it is better to sail well away from the shore (6Nm). Waves are a lot steeper near.

caberg 03-28-2013 02:22 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 1009061)
Seems to me the "wise" decision would have been to not go out. They saw exactly what the weather forecast said it was going to be like.

The video said the forecast was for 20-25 out of the South. Not necessarily hunker-down-in-port conditions for every boat and crew. They seemed in control the whole time. I think it was more that they didn't want to sail for 47 hours in those conditions, which were worse than they had anticipated via the forecast and visually looking at the entrance.

killarney_sailor 03-28-2013 03:14 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Interesting video, I think it was reasonable to go out for a look and to turn around. They certainly looked like they knew what they were doing and were well in control. There is a big difference between returning because you think the conditions are dangerous and returning because it would be uncomfortable - 47 hours of that would not be fun especially if they had to handsteer. No idea what the autopilot would be on that boat. It looks like a pretty light and lively boat.

Lake Superior Sailor 03-28-2013 09:28 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Sailing like this makes you re-think your rigging! sometimes your life!....Dale

Advocate777 03-28-2013 09:36 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
No sane person would criticize what they did. I applaud them....

PalmettoSailor 03-28-2013 10:03 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
Given that the two of them sailed that boat from Annapolis, MD to its present location, I'd give them some credit for knowing what they are doing.

chucklesR 03-28-2013 10:32 PM

Re: A couple wisely decides to head back in...
 
I've sailed past Porto, nasty business that.
I've sailed in Annapolis, and in Portugal, but not between the two, so I'm not as experienced as they are by a long shot.

I would not have voluntarily left that day. Cruising has no schedule.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012