Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Some times things just work out...

Yesterday I had plans to go out with some friends sailing. I was looking forward to it as one is the previous owner and getting him on the boat always gives me some good insight. Got a call from the head sailmaker for loft I use out here and he has been on my boat before and again, having him out sailing teaches me a huge amount. So it looked like I was going to have a sail with 2 super experienced guys on the boat. I get there and the wind is great, not a cloud in the sky, and its perfect. Get a call from both guys, they wont be making it. So I decide to hoist the sails and cruise at least in the harbor. If I am going out of the harbor I usually motor all the way out since its a good mile or so from my slip to the ocean. I raised sails and decided I'd sail around the harbor, then head in early. Well the wind had me on a perfect beam reach up the channel. Usually its 90 degrees and you must tack or gybe up the channel. Wow...ok...so in no time, and no tacks I am almost to the ocean! Wow...ok. Point towards the Ocean. Ahead of me is an older 30 ft wooden sailboat with a rounded stern. He leaves the harbor and turns south, I am about 1/4 mile behind him and I do the same. I trim my sail, look up and if I wasnt careful would have rear ended him! Wow, sure shows the speed difference between my boat and that boat! Pull around him and he offers to drag race for pinks...lol. Before I know it hes in the distance. I tack and head up the coast...boat is doing 6.5 knots, about 10-12k wind and fairly calm sea state. I look around me and see the pod of dolphins swimming with me! I look behind me and I see one swimming just below the surface right behind me. Cross a powerboat wake and I see them surfing in the wake and then jumping around. WOW. I look next to me and a 30 ft sailboat is on the same tack as me. We drag race for about 20 minutes and I am making adjustments looking at the other boat and my GPS speed to see what helps and what doesnt in these conditions. Great learning tools! I go up the coast a while, then tack and head back down and again the boat is doing 6-6.5 knots steady, wind is still a steady 10 max, I would say from boat speed maybe a tad bit more 12 max. The sea state was 3 foot waves and long intervals, so it was enough to make the boat move but not enough to get the deck wet. I was able to just enjoy the day, the sun, the wind, the sound of the boat through the water, just a wonderful sail. This got me thinking. In less than 2 years I have become competent. Some would say more than that but I am learning still. Using travelers and boom vangs to adjust sail shape in certain wind conditions to move the boat more efficiently, and having the confidence to be out there singlehanded. It was a great feeling. 6 months ago I would have been out but not comfortable. A year ago I wouldnt have been out in those conditions. There was a bit of chop, and a few white caps out there. My general rule has been no sailing in white caps, now thats when the fun starts! I used to be happy if the boat was going 5 knots...6 was a bonus. Now I am seeing high 6s regularly and when the wind picks up 7s. 9.6 was reached downwind in 15-20kts and that was a blast ow stable that was. Yup, I am finding myself frequently walking away from the boat saying, "THAT was an excellent sail!". It used to be just going out was nice, and it still is, but now that I understand the boat much more, and I am comfortable in bigger wind and rougher sea states, I can enjoy it much more. Looking forward to adding electronics to the boat and...SPINNAKER! Going to get an Asymmetric Spinnaker this year and fly that. Always more to learn right! Looking forward to getting this boat in the teens downwind with a spinnaker!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Some times things just work out...

Thanks, I needed that.
Old 03-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good on ya...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-28-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Me too, made my day. Excellent sail.
Old 03-28-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. It sounds like you've become more than competent-- lots of guys sail for years and don't get the hang of shaping their sails or learning when the boat "just feels right".
As far as singlehanding goes, I'm more comfortable by myself in bad conditions-- nobody to worry about except me. I also find I learn more when I'm singlehanding- no conversation and nothing to think about but the boat.
Great story.
Old 03-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

That is great. You'll always remember those perfect sailing days, especially when you've pushed your personal comfort level a notch higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-28-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

NICE!!!

I'm jealous! No sailing here for at least another month.

Barry

Old 03-29-2013

thegreatescape1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that a good description of a great day. I'm in the second year of my learning curve so i know exactly where you are coming from. Still remember my first day out in June of last year i was TERRIFIED. Not the weather, the waves or anything other than thinking of all the things i didn't know. Still only scratched the surface but looking forward to a good sailing season.
Old 03-29-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

What Barry said . . . .
Old 03-29-2013

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road

Good for you! I haven't been sailing since June last year. I guess you think your better than everyone now!lol Next time you go I hope you get a very very mild sun burn. Sorry about that! Im going threw sailing DT's. I hope your next sail is as exciting and rewarding as this past one. YOU BASTARD!lol

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.