Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Wind indicator NOT for mast top

Quote:
As long as you either have a deck-stepped mast or are OK with going for a ride up the mast (and have someone to help you)
That would be true. But anyone with a sailboat should be able to inspect their masthead. Whether it involves lowering the mast or riding to the top, it's a safety issue as important as making sure that there is oil in the engine or lifejackets aboard. I can truly appreciate that some people are uncomfortable with heights or hanging on a 1/8" wire, so alternate arrangements need to be made. The ability to go aloft and inspect rigging is an important but often neglected safety component.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-29-2013

claudino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
That would be true. But anyone with a sailboat should be able to inspect their masthead. Whether it involves lowering the mast or riding to the top, it's a safety issue as important as making sure that there is oil in the engine or lifejackets aboard. I can truly appreciate that some people are uncomfortable with heights or hanging on a 1/8" wire, so alternate arrangements need to be made. The ability to go aloft and inspect rigging is an important but often neglected safety component.
It's a good point, and I agree. I should make that effort (i got the boat recently) and i will do it eventually but not in next 2-3 months, likely.

But the main point for me was the difference in accuracy between a mast top indicator and others at lower level (shroud or deck mounted). According to what you say, the difference in accuracy is so large that is not even worth considering the second one. Being without having one is just as good.
Others don't seem to dismiss it so strongly , though.

Me, i kind of like to have something to look at. Being inexperienced, it gives me some confidence/reassurance.

i have more doubts now than when i started this thread... Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
IMHO after a compass a Windex is the single most valuable instrument you can have on board. It's the cheapest as well.

Go to the trouble to install one, you won't regret it. Telltales on the sails & rigging help a lot too but the Windex is more important.
Agreed! The first 6 months of sailing my neck was constantly sore becuase I was always looking to the top of the mast. I still do all teh time to tell me exactly the driection of the wind so I can make adjustments. For me, Windex is for rough adjustments, tell tales are for fine tuning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Telltales on your sails are probably worth watching more than a little display that gives wind direction. Especially if you are new to it all. Far more important than where exactly the wind is coming from is how it's flowing over your sails. I might encourage you to look a little further afield than the wife and kids for someone to hoist you up. Surely it will take you less than 2-3 months to poll your buddies or your neighbors at the marina and get someone to hoist you. Otherwise a caving ladder on a halyard will get you up when you need to and no be permanent additions to your mast like steps.

Anyway. Your sails are what you need to be watching. And guess what else is up there- the mast head conveniently enough.
Old 03-29-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
As long as you either have a deck-stepped mast or are OK with going for a ride up the mast (and have someone to help you).
Are you in a marina? You can probably find someone who can help. You can also use a product like the ATN Mast Climber (there are cheaper alternatives discussed here and elsewhere) that let you do it solo. I would still have someone (like your wife) spotting you and winching a safety line on a halyard, but she doesn't need to do any real work.

Tape or yarn on the shrouds works okay and is easier to see. You just need to get used to looking at the correct shroud.

Putting one on top is the best idea anyway. Put a LED in the anchor light while you are up there.
jimgo likes this.
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I look at the water. The line of chop. That's the true wind direction, every thing on the boat is apparent wind. I've never understood how a person can stand out side and not be able to look directly into the direction the wind is blowing. it seems like an obvious force. If you can tell "that" the wind is blowing, you should be able to tell from "where" it is coming. Also it should only mater in regards to how High you can point. in which case your sails will start flapping and you'll stop moving when you can't go any higher, so fall off till the fill and you start to move.. On a down wind run, again I angle my self at an angle to the line of chop. In very light winds, which is the most challenging. tell tails will lie flacid and a windex will swing with the boat motion as the stronger force. I suggest, going out side, looking at the water and just look and obsereve and develope the sense of the wind, put your cheak to it, turn into it, like someone said earlier, feel it in your ears. It's an essential part of being a sailor, sensing the wind.
Old 03-29-2013

Hesper is on a distinguished road

I agree with most of what Capt aaron says, except "That's the true wind direction, every thing on the boat is apparent wind. " While true, we sail in the apparant wind, so I wouldn't dismiss it so lightly.
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

If I'm going to sail some where, I look out at the water, and immagine how I'm going to deal with the wind that is out there, not with how the wind will appear to be on deck. In prep for a passage, I look at the true wind flags on passageweather.com and the predictions for the time I'll be out there. And I plan my passage accordingly, and again, only when its on any kind of a point does it even mater, any thing off the wind is "How much" not 'where from".
Old 03-29-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

As usual, Capt.aaron, you are a wealth of information. I, in fact, have been attempting to read the water like you describe and feel the wind on my face, etc. Hope I have a good season this year, which there's actually wind on the weekends.
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
As usual, Capt.aaron, you are a wealth of information. I, in fact, have been attempting to read the water like you describe and feel the wind on my face, etc. Hope I have a good season this year, which there's actually wind on the weekends.
Well, I guess what I'm saying is, the best place for the wind indicator is in you. I made a lot of money as rigger installing "wind Chickens" or re-adjusting 'em for people. And I've taught enough people to sail that I know this Sensory Wind sensation is something the most land lubbing city kid can develope.
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.