Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wind indicator NOT for mast top

Yup, so far, I seem to be adapting, learning, especially when it comes to sail trim/shape. It comes natural. Read several books and saw many a video that say the same thing you are.

Lots more practice required this year.
Old 03-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

A Windex is an essential piece of equipment. It gives you a good indicator of apparent wind direction and also allows you to adjust the pointing angle V so that it works with your ability to point. It also is a critical indicator of your jibe danger point when on a run. You will use a Windex more than any other piece of gear on the boat. As far as sail trim, you need telltales on all your sails to tell you what the wind flow over each sail is doing as well as how your headsail and main are cooperating. These are really cheap to buy or make yourself. Yarn works as will mylar tape but a pack of stick-ons can be had for about 6 bucks. We used to just thread a piece of yarn and knot off but they're hard to see on a large sail. As far as wind intensity, that's something you need to feel more than meter unless you're racing and working with technical polar data...way more than you need to just go sailing.
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I don't know. My head sail tells me when I'm about to jibe. Or the quiet calm that occurs just prior. Riding the edge of a jibe is a skill aquired through practice and sensing the enviroment around you. For a long run, I'll interlock two heads and go wing n wing. Maybe pole 'em. Put a preventer on the Main if that's whats happening. I still think you need a sense of what the wind is doing with out a plastic gadget percarioulsy pearched on the mast head to tell you. A peice orange nylon on the shroud is a good, cheap, "not on the mast head" as the OP asked for. I'd like to see people get away from gadgets that tell you things you should be able to sense, especially something as crucial as wind direction, or should I say obvious as wind direction.
Old 03-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

When I'm running, I'll sense the critical point when the sails tell me that the main may get backwinded. A lot of that depends on how much the boat is veering with a following sea. Looking at the Windex, I'll get a point I don't want to pass and use it as a reference point. If it's really rough, I'll tack downwind so as to never get too close. I just made up a boom brake that I'm going to install asap. Am hoping it works. I've tried preventers but have not had good luck in getting one rigged up right. There's just no place to attach up forward to get enough angle to stop the boom. Also, I don't like the idea of burying the boom with a preventer attached. My old scow has a pretty large main and a long boom so wing and wing with the main requires CONSTANT attention. Am also putting in an inner forestay with running backstays which should allow me to set a storm jib AND set poled out wing and wing headsails.
Old 03-29-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

To clarify a couple items:

1. Tell-tales on a sail don't tell you where the wind is coming from. They show you the airflow over the sail and whether the sail is trimmed correctly for your course. Nothing more.

2. Apparent wind is what a boat sails in and directly impacts performance and sail trim. So while true wind obviously impacts apparent wind, you sail to the apparent wind.

I agree that looking at the water is an essential skill, it's doesn't tell you much about what the wind is doing now. A wind shift won't manifest itself on the water for quite a long time, in the mean time, you've jibed and blown the gooseneck off the boat. Also, wind speed and direction on the water is not necessarily the same as 40' up.
Old 03-29-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I've sailed a few boats without vanes. In those cases a tell-tale on the shroud solution is certainly inexpensive enough to see if it works for the op.

If the windward tell tale points toward the leech of the mainsail = close hauled
" the center of the mainsail = close reach
" mast = beam reach
" jib/genoa = broad reach

Greatly simplified, of course, but it works.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I sail up in N.H. on lake Winnepasaki with my Dad sometimes. Wacthing the water is exactly how I tell what the wind is doing, going to do, and is doing up ahead. Talk about squirly. I'll be the first to say that I am not a "Performance sailor.' I'm a cruiser at heart and a Delivery Capt. for dough. I set the sail to the coarse I need. I pull the sail in till it stops flapp'n and I start moving. Then I mess with it's shape till I'm satisfied that I'm gett'n everything I can out of her. If my dest. is up it, I point as high as I can into the true wind, and bend the sails to the apparent, I guess that's what I'm doing anyway's. I do what I need to get her to run. Some boats run faster zig zag'n down the wind, some, like mine, love to sled straight down it. The fins that I deliver prefer a zig. Either way you slice it, the motion of the boat, wind in my face, and the shape of the sails tell me everything I need to know. Ya, in a wind shift, the seas can get confused and boiling, especially in the Gulf Stream. Still one can look in to the wind to determain it's direction, true or apparent.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Hey Aaron, I used to live in NH and am very familiar with Winnepesaukee. I built the Loon Center in Moultonboro. Have kayaked all the lakes over there but never sailed on any of them. I don't like lake sailing. The wind does things that are just too darned squirrely!.
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Well you can spell it better than me that's for sure. I went to Highschool up there. My parents live in Merideth. I sail the lake with my Dad on a 16' Hobie One. It's a pain to sail the lake, but better than not sailing I guess. I'm a promoter of getting back to the organics of the sailing experience. Not being a diget midget. Simplifying it. Do we need a dangling arrow to show us our degree of list. I'll admit when I deliver a boat that has a wind chiken on the mast, I use it. I get a neck cramp to. I had one fall off on a recent delivery and sighed relief when it was gone. I tied some nylon strapping to my Dad's shrouds. He said they fell off and, all though they helped in the begining, he did'nt need them anymore. When people ask me to teach them to sail, I teach them to let the boat teach them how to sail. She'll let them know when they are doing ot right.
blutoyz likes this.
Old 03-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Last time I was over at the N. end of the lake, couldn't believe how the Milfoil had completely covered some of the shallow bays. The stuff is nasty. We have it here in some of the lakes in NY too.