Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Wind indicator NOT for mast top

Have'nt been up there for 2 years. I seem to remember someone saying something. I prefer that end of the lake for some reason.
Old 03-30-2013
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
1. Tell-tales on a sail don't tell you where the wind is coming from. They show you the airflow over the sail and whether the sail is trimmed correctly for your course. Nothing more.
That's what I thought. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to use just the tall-tales, but I prefer to have both those and the Windex. One tells me the general origin of the wind, and the other lets me know when the sail is trimmed properly. I wouldn't be able to use only one and do as well as I should -- at least not with my current level of skill.
Sabreman and SloopJonB like this.

Old 03-30-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

If it's not about constant checking on your sails, but rather an intermittent, and general check, perhaps a Kestrel windmeter (handheld) might be the right choice. Some of those have wind direction too (I believe those models uses an ultrasonic sensor for direction).

They're far from cheap, though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
If it's not about constant checking on your sails, but rather an intermittent, and general check, perhaps a Kestrel windmeter (handheld) might be the right choice. Some of those have wind direction too (I believe those models uses an ultrasonic sensor for direction).

They're far from cheap, though.
Spiting into the wind is free, and it will give you a good idea of how fast it's blow'n as well. Pi$$ 'n in the wind is also free, great visual on directon and force.
Old 03-30-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Spiting into the wind is free, and it will give you a good idea of how fast it's blow'n as well. Pi$$ 'n in the wind is also free, great visual on directon and force.
LOL, true. I use my own windmeter when I'm going rowing (coastal/open water rowing), and just thought I'd put it out there as yet another option.
Old 03-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arknoah View Post
That's what I thought. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to use just the tall-tales, but I prefer to have both those and the Windex. One tells me the general origin of the wind, and the other lets me know when the sail is trimmed properly. I wouldn't be able to use only one and do as well as I should -- at least not with my current level of skill.
No-one can without tell-tales. When aerodynamic engineers are wind tunnel testing cars they cover them with tell-tale tufts to illustrate the flow over the model. They also use smoke generators to help the same way but we don't have that option on boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Telltales really let you know how the wind is flowing over the sails before any backwinding or turbulence is apparent in the fabric of the sail itself. When using a 150%+ genny, being able to see windflow and what the interaction is between main and genny is very helpful to get the sails working up to their potential. It's amazing how much difference becomes apparent in small adjustments of cunningham, outhaul, downhaul, twist, and sheeting angles. Just a small adjustment in jib tension/angle often gets rid of a lot of turbulence that you might not notice without telltales.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 03-30-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I guess I'm a sloppy lazy sailor. I get my sails trimmed by looking at their shape, my angle of list, and my seed. If I'm moving along at good clip, bone in my teeth, I'm happy. Never really paid too much attention to the riibons.
Old 03-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I guess I became hooked on telltales when I had my Lightning. They are great little boats for learning about sail tuning because you can really see and feel the results of sail adjustments more-so than on a heavy displacement boat. Aaron, you ever run into a guy named Pete Pedersen. He's an old buddy who now lives down your way, has a 40' Blackfin out of Cudjo.

Last edited by smurphny; 03-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I guess I'm a sloppy lazy sailor. I get my sails trimmed by looking at their shape, my angle of list, and my seed. If I'm moving along at good clip, bone in my teeth, I'm happy. Never really paid too much attention to the riibons.
You need to ratchet up your level of OCD. When the wind is as consistently light as it is here in the summer, you look for every bit of performance you can get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.