Vectran sleeve for anchor rode? - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 145 Old 04-03-2013

Re: Vectran sleeve for anchor rode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Way to go, attempting to psycho analyse me from this thread says a lot more about you than it does about me.
Thanks for the props on my psychoanalytical expertise, but I wasn't providing analysis, I was merely pointing out that I was not at all surprised to find out that nobody wants to go sailing with you.

Quote:
What are you on about? Had I not insisted on finding some other solution than "chain is the only thing that'll work", it would have stopped on page one.
It should have stopped at page one. I think that people that have given you some excellent responses to your request for opinions have demonstrated incredible humanity in over-looking your obvious douchiness.

Quote:
Ah, yes, if we can't say whatever we want without being countered or challenged, we can pull out the persecution card.
On at least two occasions you have suggested that those who did not agree with you, or your demeanor should leave the thread, or not have participated in the first place. I anticipated the same response. Past behaviour is a strong indicator of future action and all that.

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 145 Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
One
Always tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK540 View Post
Thanks for being so honest. Now I know your a jerk. *******. They can kick me off this forum for being honest and if they do I will miss it but I wont miss the members like you.
Nice one in the inbox of my email. I'm truly sorry that I don't find it fun sailing in an undercanvassed keg with my entire life in it. I'm also sorry that you fail to realise that other people have other priorities, that there are other solutions out there than bronze, canvas, and big engines to power that floating bomb shelter through the water, and that you think that it's only boats that are build and outfitted to withstand a hurricane that has merit.

As for you being booted off of this forum, I'm not going to report anything, and I think it's fine you put it out there for all to see.

PCP ( I figured I might as well, since I was back to respond to VK540),

I don't mind carrying the weight in the boat at all. I'm fine with that. Just not up front. But by dividing it up in "bits", I might actually be able to handle a lot of weight as a whole, and be able to anchor safely. I like the idea of sand canisters, because I was thinking stainless or bronze, but those things are expensive in large weights, and they will mar the deck, or even worse, if dropped, they could damage the hull from the inside. If for nothing else, then going with sand canister will make it cheap and easy to try different weights while I make up my mind.
post #103 of 145 Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
One
Always tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Thanks for the props on my psychoanalytical expertise, but I wasn't providing analysis, I was merely pointing out that I was not at all surprised to find out that nobody wants to go sailing with you.
You still don't get it, do you? People do want to go with me, but I tend to go out in weather where other people prefer to stay at home or in harbour.

Seriously, if you don't get it now, you're a lost cause.

Quote:
It should have stopped at page one. I think that people that have given you some excellent responses to your request for opinions have demonstrated incredible humanity in over-looking your obvious douchiness.
Anything else you wish to whine about, when you could just as easily have ignored the thread?

Quote:
On at least two occasions you have suggested that those who did not agree with you, or your demeanor should leave the thread, or not have participated in the first place. I anticipated the same response. Past behaviour is a strong indicator of future action and all that.
Yes, it is. Trolls and whiners will always be trolls and whiners, FlyingWelsh. When people bitch and moan about how this thread is the worst thing they have ever encountered, that the questions and the suggested solutions (solutions from all fronts) are bad, idiotic and whatnot, and go off because they feel personally offended, while not having read or understood even the freaking subject line, of course I tell them to simply stop reading the freaking thread. I do the same, when some tosser come into this thread and claim I'm ruining the entire site for not just taking people's "experience" at face value and call it a day.

Most of the noise in this thread has been from people who bitch and moan (and my response to them) about why I don't just listen, while they ignore most of what I actually say - except of course, what can make them grow full of rightous indignation. - while not being able to read, while attempting to psycho analyse me (ring a bell?), and while acting all offended because I have other priorities than them.

Or, the best one; when I said I needed snubbers anyway because the boat had a cf sprit with bobstays and whiskers, that was suddenly because I was "bragging". Seriously, the inferiority complex shone on that one.

Are we done now, or do you want to take the helm as the moaner de jour?
post #104 of 145 Old 04-03-2013

Quote:
You still don't get it, do you? People do want to go with me, but I tend to go out in weather where other people prefer to stay at home or in harbour.
The only statement you made vis––vis sailing companionship was here:
Quote:
I will mostly go alone when I go (as I have done in the past)
Quote:
Seriously, if you don't get it now, you're a lost cause.
Well colour me:'lost' 'cause I'm still convinced that there isn't enough room for a passenger, or crew, on your sailing canoe once you, your monstrous bonce and your ego (there you go, my first psycho-analytical observation) are aboard.

Quote:
Anything else you wish to whine about,
haven't 'whined'. Simply took you to task for your boorishness.

Quote:
when you could just as easily have ignored the thread?
And here we have it: the invitation to not participate. Knew it would happen!

Quote:
tosser
You seem to use that expression a lot. At risk of being accused of passing judgement, I might suggest that you might benefit from a quick one off the wrist.

Quote:
while not being able to read, while attempting to psycho analyse me (ring a bell?)
Again with the psychoanalysis mantra. Did you go off your meds?

Quote:
Are we done now, or do you want to take the helm as the moaner de jour?
I suppose if I'm the best you can do.... although, again, excuse my presumption, but I'm convinced that a 'moaner' of a more conjugal nature would work wonders to improve your dearth of personality.

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Last edited by flyingwelshman; 04-03-2013 at 10:01 PM.
post #105 of 145 Old 04-03-2013
I don't discuss my member

Quote:

I would try it out if I could get hold of a piece (sleeving, that is). What's weird, though, is that it should be possible to get it as cut resistant sleeving if it were up there with Vectran. Yet I can't even find it other industries as sleeving.
Hey jacka$$, it is available. I linked to it earlier in this thread. It's called
DYNEEMA CHAFE SLEEVE you dunce. My God this is what the ignore button is for. Congrats, you're the first person I ever put on it in the entire time I've been here.

You can't fix stupid.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"
post #106 of 145 Old 04-03-2013
big dreams, little boat.

I wonder if you could make up for a lack of chain in your rode with 10lbs of fishing weight maybe 20 feet away from the anchor? it would help keep the pull angle low and it would (only a little) help distribute the sudden jerk on the anchor when the boat gets a gust of wind. I'm just supposing here. I'm certainly not a pro. In fact I was happily surprised when I didn't sink my little boat all last weekend! Good luck ~LL
One likes this.
post #107 of 145 Old 04-04-2013
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
I wonder if you could make up for a lack of chain in your rode with 10lbs of fishing weight maybe 20 feet away from the anchor? it would help keep the pull angle low and it would (only a little) help distribute the sudden jerk on the anchor when the boat gets a gust of wind. I'm just supposing here. I'm certainly not a pro. In fact I was happily surprised when I didn't sink my little boat all last weekend! Good luck ~LL
That is the idea but he needs much more than that. If anchoring on 7m of water he would need a weight of 40lbs on the 10m mark, another one at 18m, another one at the 26m mark. that would make up for the function weight plays in a chain. With this set up he can even have a light good aluminium anchor since his boat is light and extensive cruising is not what he seems to be planning.

10lbs is really nothing compared with the needed weight to substitute the weight of a chain.

Regards

Paulo
One likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 145 Old 04-04-2013 Thread Starter
One
Always tired

I'm guessing, but I need to do the calculations, but I think I can do with a little less than the weight of the chain, simple because I can place the weight more efficiently than the weight of a chain. I mean, a pull right between point A and point B will exert more force to pull those two points towards each other than the same weight distributed along the entire length between those points.

But you're absolutely right: 10lbs is far less than what I had in mind. 30-40lbs kellets (plural) is the weights I was thinking would be easiest to handle.

Edit/add:
Anchor wise, I want a Manson supreme, or a Mantus which I have just discovered and read about (Medsailor's reviews in particular), and a biggish Manson "Racer" (their Fortress look-alike) in either size R9 or R10 as a back up. The reason for the "Racer as opposed to the equivalent Fortress is that it comes with plastic "bulbs" at the end of the perpendicular rod which makes it easier to handle. I'm open to buy a Fortress, though, if I feel the "Racer" is not big enough (size R10 is their biggest).

Last edited by One; 04-04-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: face=>force + added a bit
post #109 of 145 Old 04-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
I'm guessing, but I need to do the calculations...

Behold, my FAVORITE website of anchor geekery. Enough math to give a nerd a migraine and under the heading "synthesis" there are some awesome excel spredsheets that allow you do calculate EVERYTHING. Want to know the differences in the angle of your anchor stock and the forces on your bow cleat in a 20kt gust with you kellet either 10 or 20 ft from the anchor? Done!

Anchor Forces and calculators

MedSailor
One likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #110 of 145 Old 04-04-2013 Thread Starter
One
Always tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Behold, my FAVORITE website of anchor geekery. Enough math to give a nerd a migraine and under the heading "synthesis" there are some awesome excel spredsheets that allow you do calculate EVERYTHING. Want to know the differences in the angle of your anchor stock and the forces on your bow cleat in a 20kt gust with you kellet either 10 or 20 ft from the anchor? Done!

Anchor Forces and calculators

MedSailor
Holy crap! Sweet, Medsailor! Thank you, just what I needed!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.