Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: Increasing flotation

Pretty funny, Aaron- if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you picked that up as a racer. I crew occasionally on much bigger boats than my little ultra light and some of the owners are incredibly anal about weight we bring on board and where it's stored; even on a big 56' swan!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Mattnj,

I think you answered your own question when you said it had been that way since you got her and it was common with Neptune's. The boat is what the boat is. The only thing that you can control is movable weight and that might cause the boat to be bow heavy and sail poorly. It is either designed to sit as she does or poorly designed.I think this is one of those things you have to live with or get a new boat.
Old 03-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Pretty funny, Aaron- if I didn't know any better, I'd swear you picked that up as a racer. I crew occasionally on much bigger boats than my little ultra light and some of the owners are incredibly anal about weight we bring on board and where it's stored; even on a big 56' swan!
No. actually I picked that up playing with Weebles (TM.) as a kid. apparently they wobble but won't fall down . It was my first of many frustrating bouts with applied physics. I could never knock one over anyway's.
I heard about some old coot when I was kid that took everything off his boat, vitaman jars, cut the handle off of his tooth brush, salt shaker etc. and weighed it. It was like a friken 1/2 ton or something. Then I took stability in my 200 ton class and Tankerman. We did the math on roll periods on something as small as a container top yay big taking a wave and filling with 6 inches of water, free surface calculations and I said "F" it, I'm going anal on low weight ratios. With my 8 foot draft on a 28' footer and serious low center of bouyancy, added with the air tight plastic tanks under my lazzeretts and if I were to empty my bow tank /slash crash bulkhead. I think my chances of a knock down are reduced greatly. AND. In my worst nightmare, I think I have crucial seconds added to how long it will take me to go down...maybe.
One likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-31-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Try adding some helium, cuz foam ain't gonna do it.

If you think about it, though, there's not much point in worrying too much about how she rides in the water. Because of the changing lake levels in Lake Michigan, where I keep my boat, just about every year I have to repaint the boot stripe on my boat to account for higher or lower water. Still, I never seem to get it just right.
Old 03-31-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

If you think about it, though, there's not much point in worrying too much about how she rides in the water. Because of the changing lake levels in Lake Michigan, where I keep my boat, just about every year I have to repaint the boot stripe on my boat to account for higher or lower water. Still, I never seem to get it just right.
Now that's thinking outside the box- helium filled truck inner-tubes stuffed in an aft locker would probably do it!
Old 03-31-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

There's your answer. You need to lower the water in the South end of the lake