Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013

mattnj is on a distinguished road
Increasing flotation

I have a Neptune 24 made by Capital Yachts. My problem is that it rides really low in the rear and I would like to add some flotation to address this problem. My outboard is a Honda 8HP, so no excess weight there, and I have moved the batteries from their original location more forward to help. Is two part foam the best/only option to not lose any stowage? Do I need to cut open my liner to access the voids between? Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Increasing flotation

you are saying she rides low.. so she is not riding on her lines?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

You're outboard really could be a major part of the problem. I know an 8 hp might not exacly be light, but could you take that off the mount and stow it below deck somewhere near the mast (assuming it's keel stepped)? My boat is similar displacement (maybe 400 lbs heavier) and we cruise with our 6 hp outboard on the transom, but would never consider racing that way-- it's significantly faster stored below. I don't see how it's possible to add foam anywhere (inside the hull) to alter the way the boat sits on her lines- you just have to move weight forward.

Last edited by Irunbird; 03-29-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I don't believe floatation inside the hull would do anything to solve your problem. If you wanted to spend a small to mid-sized fortune in changing the boat to solve the problem, then you might try "micro-ballons" which are used by many racing boats to slightly alter trim and sailing characteristics.
A much cheaper and easier way to solve your problem might be to shift things around inside the boat (add an anchor and chain forward, stow heavier items forward; lighter stuff aft, etc.) until you have achieved the trim you desire.
Old 03-29-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Foam heavier than air, fill voids (air) with foam to add floatation, I'm not seeing it.
Old 03-29-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Capta is correct in saying that adding foam inside won't alter the lines, in fact it would actually worsen it by adding more weight in the area where you actually want more displacement. Move weight forward .
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-29-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

The foam in all the aft compartments prevent you from stowing anything in them thereby trimming the vessel. It's all about method.
Old 03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
you are saying she rides low.. so she is not riding on her lines?
She rides below the water line in the stern. The boat has done this since new and is common with the Neptune's.
Old 03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
You're outboard really could be a major part of the problem. I know an 8 hp might not exacly be light, but could you take that off the mount and stow it below deck somewhere near the mast (assuming it's keel stepped)? My boat is similar displacement (maybe 400 lbs heavier) and we cruise with our 6 hp outboard on the transom, but would never consider racing that way-- it's significantly faster stored below. I don't see how it's possible to add foam anywhere (inside the hull) to alter the way the boat sits on her lines- you just have to move weight forward.
The boat is rated for a heavier outboard. It gets really pronounced when I have several crew in the cockpit. I moved my batteries forward, my water tank is in the bow, my head and holding tank, an oversized anchor, and a hundred feet of chain.
Old 03-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Don't motor so fast. Sail more. I think you WILL notice a difference! Displacement hulls drop lower in the stern when being pushed near hull speed.

4 adults in the cockpit are an easy 600 + lbs!

Flotation cannot be increased without making the boat larger; the only way is to make it lighter.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.