Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What GPS tracking program do you use?

The SPOT site has its tracking function, but it is very primitive and user unfriendly. What is the good alternative do you use?

Here what I am looking for:
1. Able to upload the GPS coordinates from Spot.
2. Able and easily to include or exclude data point either in Table mode or Google Map Mode.
3. Ability to add connection line between data point
3. Easily export Map view as a jpeg file.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Re: What GPS tracking program do you use?

i use motion x gps for my tracking....not sure it does any of that lol...works great as a gps program and recording gps tracks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Good question. My plotter functions in a number of programs, Garmin, Sailcruiser (Jeppesen NavSim), and Polar Navy. They all track/record GPS positions but I don't know if I would be able to upload that data so as to transmit my track. That kind of data would give a very accurate record of position if it could be uploaded somewhere.
Old 03-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Do you want others to be able to follow your track?

We used Yellowbrick on the return last summer. It was expensive, but worth it. WE just stuck it on the stern rail and forgot about it.

Vic Maui 2012 Return - Powered by Yellowbrick Tracking
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-31-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
The SPOT site has its tracking function, but it is very primitive and user unfriendly. What is the good alternative do you use?

Here what I am looking for:
1. Able to upload the GPS coordinates from Spot.
2. Able and easily to include or exclude data point either in Table mode or Google Map Mode.
3. Ability to add connection line between data point
3. Easily export Map view as a jpeg file.

You can do all of that by using the SPOT "adventure" sub-website, by manually transfer of your spot data to the 'adventure' site. You can add or delete 'track points' to your hearts content. The 'adventure' data doesnt auto-disappear after a few days as it does on the standard "SPOT" site, so 'transfer' all your recent SPOT data to the SPOT ADVENTURE site as often as possible if you want to SAVE it ... a one to two week data load to the standard website is all you get then it auto deletes based on 'capacity' of your assigned 'cache', especially if your SPOT is always 'on' ... you have to upload to the adventure site manually.

If your out at sea for long passages and without internet connect and want to save all that data, get someone on land to do the manual transfer into your Spot Adventure account on a routine basis ... and before the SPOT standard site starts trashing its limited cache. Take extra Lithium batteries as if your spot is constant on you wont get much battery life. Once an hour or two ... on then off ... is good enough when making a passage.

You can do a 'screen shot' as a jpg./jpeg and then crop off all the extraneous 'headers and menus' in just about any 'photo' software ... but Im in Mac-speak here.

I agree with you though that the SPOT sites including the 'adventure' sub-site arent very 'intuitive' ... you just have to play around with them until you understand the full features and capabilities. When 'playing around' be sure that you dont inadvertently delete a track set - "save as" often as you 'play'.

Are you even aware of the SPOT "ADVENTURE" sub-website? if you have an activated Spot you've already paid for the adventure privileges ;-)

Last edited by RichH; 03-31-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Rich,

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I did browse around a few years ago and found it not too user friendly. I will revisit it again to see if it is better now.

Thanks.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 03-31-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

We used the SPOT on our last cruise and the only thing I didn't like was that it didn't automatically report our position every so often (maybe there is a way to do that in the programming, but I couldn't figure it out).

With just that feature, I would have been fine with it.

But, six month old technology when you talk about electronics, is ancient.
Old 04-01-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

I've been working on a site that does most of what you are asking for:
BLUEWATERSAILINGDATA.COM

You can send positions via a variety of methods including SPOT, Satellite phone, SMS, Internet or SSB (Winlink or Airmail). The positions are displayed on a map. You can put a small version of the map can be embedded in a web page, say a blog, or just share a link to your map page with friends and family. You can also export your trips to GPX files.

Here is an example of one of the test boats:
Boat: Rendezvous RV6282 Trip: St Martin to BVI\'S
They have been sending their positions via Satellite phone SMS message and are on the way from the Caribbean to the South Pacific.

The site is mostly free, but I do plan on charging a small fee (say $5/month) for some premium services such as integration with Facebook, Twitter and WordPress. A companion Android app is in the works.
Old 04-01-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

The Motion X tracking software has the ability to send updates to a website and you can give out the site to anyone and track the boat. I THINK you need an internet connection...not 100% sure. I uses it for coastal sailing and it works like a gem. In the app you give yourself a 5 digit number, on the Motion X website you put in the 5 digit number and it tracks that boat. Thats it. You can set the update interval in the app. The software gives you the ability to save the track, email it, or store it until you delete it on the device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.