Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Chapter 1: Our first cruise

Ryan, are you sure we aren't related? Wait, no, we can't be - if it were me we'd never have been able to raise the jib, either.

Sounds like a great day; I'm jealous!
TheWollard likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Sounds like sailing - mess up a bit, learned a lesson or two, had a great time, and became further addicted.

I have been sailing for 40+ years and sailed for tens of thousands of miles and the summary above still applies.
Old 03-31-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

It was just the beginning. I had two goals for my first few days of sailing Miss Marisol: 1. Get to know her. Practice docking, tacking, running, etc etc etc. 2. Ensure my Wife and daughter want more sailing after the first experience.

With both goals accomplished, I'm looking forward to more adventures.

I'm definitely going to research alternatives to slicing my main halyard next time. My self tailing winch is located to starboard on the coachroof. It runs through a clutch then block and up the mast. I tried running the line forward around the traveler and back into the cockpit to the Genny winch. I pulled it in and it didn't move at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

There is absolutely nothing better than the elation that comes with "I can really do this " after some time spent sailing, and the funny thing is it happens again and again. I went through it with my first two boats and am about to experience it Thursday with sailing my new boat for the first time. The real bonus in it all is having your daughter along and her enjoying it, my 18 year old son was helping me prep the boat yesterday and told me "dad, I want to learn to solo sail this year and maybe you could help me find a boat of my own." All I could do was sit for a minute and then say it would be my honor.
utchuckd and TheWollard like this.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 04-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Ryan,
A rolling hitch as cited previously is the main way to get the tension off, but then you still need (and should always have) a 'marlin spike' on your knife/person - basically it's just a knot picker. Your basic knife (you do always have a knife available?) from WM has a blade and marlin spike for 19 bucks.

The other thing I'd recommend is to use McLube or some other dry lube on your main slugs and slot. Your avatar shows you to be relatively young, you should be able to hoist a Watkins 27's main hand over hand (no winch) to the top and then just use the winch to set tension. That (lube) will also make is set better.
That's provided you are headed into the wind, any deviance from dead in can put premature pressure on the sail and make hoisting difficult and even impossible.

I don't know your commuting situation, but you may find it helpful to go out and single hand, starting with just the main, then adding the jib. Get comfy on the boat by yourself - then add the wife and daughter. A confident skipper who knows the boat goes a long way to making crew feel good and times enjoyable. Find a friend to help if you need to.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 04-01-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

" confident Skipper" It's the truth. If a skipper is yelling and frustrated with his crew, it's beacuase he does'nt know what he's doing well enough to just do it by himself. I saw an Ausie capt. speaking poorly with the guy ( who was paying him for the chareter/ lesson)pulling up to fuel dock on 50 something foot sail boat. I finally said to him, that captains 'round here can dock a little boat like that by themselves, so why are you trying make it look like it's the newbie on the bow that's making this difficult for you.
But I digress, yes, def. go out alone and work through the curve in private, curse the sky, the boat and every body invloved with designing the gear you're having trouble with, skin your knuckles and break a few things, and then take the wife and daughter out with confidence.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

What a great story. You even had the balls to set a pretty high goal for your first time out. I personally believe that you have many years ahead of you of fine sailing and quality time with your family. Enjoy!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-01-2013
Sailin the ditch.

The Garbone is on a distinguished road
Chapter 1: Our first cruise

Ryan.

Thanks for sharing your story and Welcome to the club.

My first few times out I was using the winch on the halyard also. The joy of Teflon lube on the track and eliminating a rub at the base of the mast and now I hoist by hand. Works like a charm and gloves help a lot.

One first things I did with the wife was beat into the wind in a narrow channel. She worked the port jib sheet, I the starboard. After 4 or 5 tacks we got it down and now she loves sailing and working as a team. There is nothing better.
Old 04-02-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thank you for posting your adventure. I am glad I am not the only one that dreams about my boat every night! Looking forward to hearing about the next sail.
Old 04-02-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

If everything worked right then your story would have been boring...now you have a good first trip story for the family.

Sounds like a good trip to me...Congrats
TheWollard likes this.