Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,484
Thanks: 23
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 9
rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

http://www.moodyboats.com/#/gb/nc/mo....html?type=666

Please look at the above link and click on "Aft Cabin 41 tab" What kind of main sheeting system use in here? It seems there are many new boats do without the traditional traveler. Not sure how one can trim the main to the proper shape?

What is the Pros and Cons. TIA.
__________________

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 04-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 690
Thanks: 6
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
http://www.moodyboats.com/#/gb/nc/mo....html?type=666

Please look at the above link and click on "Aft Cabin 41 tab" What kind of main sheeting system use in here? It seems there are many new boats do without the traditional traveler. Not sure how one can trim the main to the proper shape?

What is the Pros and Cons. TIA.
Seems from the picture that it's some kind of double ended sheeting system w/o a traveller. Sheets is run to the cabin top winches?
Pros
-Cheaper (for the builders)

Cons
-must use the wang to control the height of the boom (sail shape)

Other boats I have seen have double main sheets.
Give better control of sail shape than above, but not better than a traveller.

My old boat has traveller in front of the companionway (same position as the Moody).
With German sheeting system going aft to the wheel and traveller adjustable from the wheel. Can't understand why the can't do similar on new boats?
rockDAWG likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 04-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,484
Thanks: 23
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 9
rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Thanks KK,

Just spoke with the dealer, he told me that the German Sheeting mounted on the coach roof is a factory option for $2,500. However, I have never used one, so not sure how that compares the traditional traveler??

__________________

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 04-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 690
Thanks: 6
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Thanks KK,

Just spoke with the dealer, he told me that the German Sheeting mounted on the coach roof is a factory option for $2,500. However, I have never used one, so not sure how that compares the traditional traveler??

German sheeting on the coach roof for $2,500, is that a joke?
What is the standard main sheeting system?

A traditional German sheeting system with the ropes led aft has the benefit of being adjustable from both sides & close to wheel.
On coach roof I don't know..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 04-01-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,484
Thanks: 23
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 9
rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Yes, i feel the same way too, but that is what he said. I also have a copy of their optional list too.

I have not seen a German sheet on the coach roof either. I will clarify this more when I talk to him again.
__________________

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 04-01-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,180
Thanks: 21
Thanked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
German sheeting on the coach roof for $2,500, is that a joke?
What is the standard main sheeting system?

A traditional German sheeting system with the ropes led aft has the benefit of being adjustable from both sides & close to wheel.
On coach roof I don't know..
No, there is not any problem with it. Several boats offer that option and then you can control the boom from the wheel but, of course, that has nothing to do with having a traveler or not. That system that "dispenses" a traveler is used in many boats between them, Hanse and Bavaria. It is better than nothing but not as good as a big traveler.

Some cruisers have so small travelers (and some even on top of an arch) that I don't know if those have any advantage over this system.

That system, as well as all sort of travelers was already discussed in a thread sometime ago, if I remember right.

Regards

Paulo
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 04-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 690
Thanks: 6
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, there is not any problem with it. Several boats offer that option and then you can control the boom from the wheel but, of course, that has nothing to do with having a traveler or not. That system that "dispenses" a traveler is used in many boats between them, Hanse and Bavaria. It is better than nothing but not as good as a big traveler.

Some cruisers have so small travelers (and some even on top of an arch) that I don't know if those have any advantage over this system.

That system, as well as all sort of travelers was already discussed in a thread sometime ago, if I remember right.

Regards

Paulo
Assuming the standard main sheet arrangement is cabin top on one side.
The extra hardware would be one block at the boom + one block at the goose neck + one block at the mast + an extra clutch + extra rope and maybe an extra sheave in the deck organizer = 2500$
Not much extra work involved..

I can't see the point of this arrangement, if you need to go to the companionway to adjust the main sheet what do you gain from this.

I was to add all this hardware with this setup (w/o traveller) it would make more sense to have a two sheet system as Bavaria use on some never modells?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 04-01-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,180
Thanks: 21
Thanked 96 Times in 80 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Assuming the standard main sheet arrangement is cabin top on one side.
The extra hardware would be one block at the boom + one block at the goose neck + one block at the mast + an extra clutch + extra rope and maybe an extra sheave in the deck organizer = 2500$
Not much extra work involved..

I can't see the point of this arrangement, if you need to go to the companionway to adjust the main sheet what do you gain from this.

I was to add all this hardware with this setup (w/o traveller) it would make more sense to have a two sheet system as Bavaria use on some never modells?
Maybe I am not following you but a German sheeting system is a two sheet system. I guess that is the system that Bavaria uses (I know they can have it as an option). Bavaria has a big advantage over the others: They offer standard or as an option (depending on models) 4 winches on the cockpit and that is very useful regarding using a German sheeting system. On many production boats you cannot have two extra winches on the cockpit, not even as an option.

Regards

Paulo
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 04-01-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 690
Thanks: 6
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Maybe I am not following you but a German sheeting system is a two sheet system. I guess that is the system that Bavaria uses (I know they can have it as an option). Bavaria has a big advantage over the others: They offer standard or as an option (depending on models) 4 winches on the cockpit and that is very useful regarding using a German sheeting system. On many production boats you cannot have two extra winches on the cockpit, not even as an option.

Regards

Paulo
A German sheeting system is a double ended system (or endless) not a two sheet system.
The original idea was to make it easy to adjust the sheet from both sides of the cockpit (read the high side).
Like this


I can't understand the reasoning for a German system using cabin top winches, as you would have to move into the center of the cockpit to adjust the sheet all the same.
If you have room for two crew you could have the benefit of using two winches during a gybe.

Also I think the price quoted is at bit steep, remember Hanse is not paying the same price for hardware as you and I.

Regards
Knut

Last edited by knuterikt; 04-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 04-01-2013
sailortjk1's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Porter, IN
Posts: 4,647
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 10
sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moody 41 AC has no traditional traveler?

When you press the dealer with the question, his likely response will be, "Nobody uses the traveler anymore." Just like the demise of a dedicated full chart table and navigation station, "Nobody uses them anymore."
I still use and find value in both of these concepts, I am sick and tired of hearing the standardized response, "Nobody uses it any more."
********.
__________________
Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moody 42 BovaMarine Boat Review and Purchase Forum 0 03-29-2009 08:43 AM
Moody 41,419,422 metamorphster Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 06-05-2008 10:37 AM
Moody 33 MK I kregar Boat Review and Purchase Forum 4 03-04-2008 12:08 PM
Moody 46? orthomartin Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 02-20-2007 11:35 AM
Moody ericfremont Boat Review and Purchase Forum 2 10-31-2002 09:33 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.