Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Captainmeme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013

Sherwood71 is on a distinguished road
Cool Broken rib help for new sailor

Hello and thank you in advance for your help. I think maybe i should do a quick background about me since I'm new here before I get to the heart of the matter.

I'm 42 and just started sailing a Catalina 14.2 on our little Idaho mountain lake last summer and had a blast. So, I apologize if my sailing vocabulary is not so good. Over the winter a 1974 Columbia 23t found it's way into my life. The boat sat outside in a field for 5 years getting snowed on etc. The sails look good and the running gear looks good so I thought I'd replace the seats and companion way, give her a good cleaning and go sailing.

Now the problem, I noticed what I think would be called a rib that was cracked. The exterior of the hull where the crack is located still appears to be fine. I'm wondering if I could just do a fiberglass repair job on the inside where the crack is located? Or, does this boat need to be put out to pasture for good? I do really like the boat and would love to get her ready for the season.

I think I've attached a picture. If not I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken rib help for new sailor-2013-03-27-15-1.07.58.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Broken rib help for new sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood71 View Post
Hello and thank you in advance for your help. I think maybe i should do a quick background about me since I'm new here before I get to the heart of the matter.

I'm 42 and just started sailing a Catalina 14.2 on our little Idaho mountain lake last summer and had a blast. So, I apologize if my sailing vocabulary is not so good. Over the winter a 1974 Columbia 23t found it's way into my life. The boat sat outside in a field for 5 years getting snowed on etc. The sails look good and the running gear looks good so I thought I'd replace the seats and companion way, give her a good cleaning and go sailing.

Now the problem, I noticed what I think would be called a rib that was cracked. The exterior of the hull where the crack is located still appears to be fine. I'm wondering if I could just do a fiberglass repair job on the inside where the crack is located? Or, does this boat need to be put out to pasture for good? I do really like the boat and would love to get her ready for the season.

I think I've attached a picture. If not I'll try again.
It should be a small job fixing this.
Can you determine what this rib is made of?
Would recommend to read the free book found here http://www.westsystem.com/ss/use-guides
Old 04-01-2013

I took the boat to storage for the winter in lower elevation (about an hour away) so I can't examine it now to try and determine what the rib is made of. I'll probably be seeing her again in a few days. I'll check out the book in the link you sent me. Thank you for the reply and I'm happy this boat should be able to sail again.
Old 04-01-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Need a bit more info, what is in the area of the rib? I've looked up the Columbia 23t ,
fixed keel, nice boat. Without knowing anymore, I'd grind off the gel coat around the crack, open rib, scoop out the mushy wood, clean it up, cut a new white oak rib to fit in the channel, saturate the oak with thinned epoxy, stuff it in the channel, glass off the channel with cloth and epoxy, paint it white and go sailing.

And I would try to determine why/how the crack occurred. Was the boat dropped on the keel?
Ran aground and pounded for awhile? Any damage noted on the outer haul, like rock rash?
Is this the only crack, stress mark in the boat? Check the bulkheads, that they are still tabbed to the hull.
oysterman23 likes this.

Last edited by Captainmeme; 04-01-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 04-01-2013

The board you see above the rib is the foot end of the bunk on the right (port?) side and is the 4th rib from the stern if I remember correctly. Next time I'm at the boat I will remove this board and get a better look at what's going on. Sounds like good instruction ur giving me and something I should be able to handle. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

Piece-'o-cake repair! When you are finished you'll laugh for worrying as if someone had been tickling you in the rib(s).

Tags
broken rib , columbia 23t , fiberglass repair , new boat owner , repair