Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Ospreys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Edit:

If you want to do a good deed for the ospreys this year, you will have to get things done now. By the time you woke up anyone in your local habitat organisation, the nest building time for this year will be over. Right now you can do more good with a batterie drill and a saw then with your computer or phone.
This is what I want to discourage from happening as a result of bringing/encouraging wildlife close to human activity..

http://tinyurl.com/cpkhqa9

..though a bit of an extreme but I hope you all get my point..but if you don't we'll be glade to watch your boat being used as a nesting site at our marina.

There nice to watch from afar but once they set up house on ones boat they are tough to get rid of..

http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/FAQs.html

..according to this site if the nesting has progressed to a point then the DNR will prohibit you from removing the nest..I'm sure most on this list would be up set if they can't use their boat for a month or so..

s/v 'Tango
Lankford Bay
Rock Hall,Md.

Last edited by aa3jy; 04-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Well those ospreys are not going to turn into seals over night and the whole point of what I did, or one of the points was to give them a nisting place so that they are not going to be tempted to build their nest on one of the boats on the hard here in the marina.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 04-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

If you build it, they will come...

Perhaps they need a few more platforms to encourage the Opreys to nest elsewhere rather than discouraging the birds from using their boats for nesting places.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2013
Owned by Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
If you build it, they will come...

Perhaps they need a few more platforms to encourage the Opreys to nest elsewhere rather than discouraging the birds from using their boats for nesting places.
That would be my way to tackle any problems with ospreys as well
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 04-05-2013

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
This is what I want to discourage from happening as a result of bringing/encouraging wildlife close to human activity..

http://tinyurl.com/cpkhqa9

..though a bit of an extreme but I hope you all get my point..but if you don't we'll be glade to watch your boat being used as a nesting site at our marina.

There nice to watch from afar but once they set up house on ones boat they are tough to get rid of..

Chesapeake Bay Field Office | Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

..according to this site if the nesting has progressed to a point then the DNR will prohibit you from removing the nest..I'm sure most on this list would be up set if they can't use their boat for a month or so..

s/v 'Tango
Lankford Bay
Rock Hall,Md.
I think you fail to see the point that they did not take over your spot...Humans took over their spot and took down their potential nesting points, mostly by chopping down trees that the marina and parking lot now exists at...They're animals that live in the wild that should be respected because they're part of an important eco system...Thus if we took so many of their spots that they're now willing to use these strange platforms (masts, etc), it says something about a problem your area has...Lack of natural resources these birds used to have (trees)...

We have plenty of Osprey's here in Buzzard's Bay...especially here where my boat is moored in Nasketucket Bay...I woke up one morning with one of them doing mating calls on top of my mizzen mast...But my mooring is surrounded by trees, a wildlife protected area, a few artificial osprey nests...So we don't have this problem...

Like I said before, you can contact these very same organizations (mentioned below) to help you or the situation and create nesting points for these...The solution seems simple enough. In fact, the marina owners themselves should make this a priority by building alternate spots for them so that it doesn't pose a problem to you guys, thus hurting their business...You should demand this social responsibility from the marina...This should be the moral duty of us as human beings that wish to give back to life & nature. Afterall, we mostly do nothing but take from it...

If eggs or young are present the nest is considered active. And to be removed requires a federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act permit from the Serviceís Northeast Regional Office (Division of Migratory Birds) at 413-253-8643. In Maryland, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife and Heritage should also be contacted at 1-877-463-6497.

If an active nest has to be removed, an alternate nest site should be identified through coordination with your local U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office and local state wildlife agency office. In some instances, installation of a suitable nesting platform maybe required.
Old 04-05-2013
Owned by Velcro

I don't fail to recognise the point at all, but the nisting spots are gone and the trees around here have a few bald eagle nests in them and they don't get on with ospreys to well in close proximity. Now I could go and plant a couple of trees that may or may not gro to a size that would make them interesting for a osprey pair to build a nest and breed in but I just did not have that time and nor did these two birds. And if you know a bit about ospreys, you will realise, that once they have cosen a spot to build their nest, they can be very determined to finish the job, so I was glad that they took that spot I chose for them with so little fuss and are now catching up with the rest of the ospreys here in the river as far as nest building goes. I eve cut some brush for them and put it out on one of the empty floating docks and they are quite happy to take those twigs to the nest as buildingmaterial. As arteficial as that may seem to you, it may just make the difference to this particular pair of birds of having or not having a brood this season.
Just to add, that nest is not coming down on my watch not with, or without eggs in it.

Rehards

Michael

Old 04-05-2013

Southcoasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
I don't fail to recognise the point at all, but the nisting spots are gone and the trees around here have a few bald eagle nests in them and they don't get on with ospreys to well in close proximity. Now I could go and plant a couple of trees that may or may not gro to a size that would make them interesting for a osprey pair to build a nest and breed in but I just did not have that time and nor did these two birds. And if you know a bit about ospreys, you will realise, that once they have cosen a spot to build their nest, they can be very determined to finish the job, so I was glad that they took that spot I chose for them with so little fuss and are now catching up with the rest of the ospreys here in the river as far as nest building goes. I eve cut some brush for them and put it out on one of the empty floating docks and they are quite happy to take those twigs to the nest as buildingmaterial. As arteficial as that may seem to you, it may just make the difference to this particular pair of birds of having or not having a brood this season.
Just to add, that nest is not coming down on my watch not with, or without eggs in it.

Rehards

Michael
Michael,
I wasn't referring to you or your efforts...I was referring my comments to aa3jy who has the problem in his local marina...I directed my suggestions towards him to see if his marina can do something about the problem they are having...You would think the marina would do something like create more places for the birds, like the one you did in order for the birds to not deter their customers...
Old 04-05-2013
Owned by Velcro

Sorry I got that one wrong then.

ATB

Michael

Old 04-08-2013
Owned by Velcro

This afternoons air show with mid air fish passing.

I forgot to take a picture of the nest, will do that tomorrow

ATB

Michael

Old 04-08-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

ferretchaser- the birds are beautiful. You have done a beautiful thing for them. In an unnatural setting of our creation you have created a home. Feel good about yourself-you deserve it. If you were creating a situation that would further disrupt the eco system perhaps on could argue you deserve approbation but that's clearly not the case. Good on you. Keep the pictures coming. Still cold and the boats are on the hard up here. Your pictures help me think of better days to come.