Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Ospreys

I also think that your Osprey photos ("shots") are nice.
I'm also no professional photographer but I can't stop myself from saying this:
If you can reduce your shutter speed to around 800 - 1,000 the pictures would come out with much more detail of the birds feathers.
That's 1/800th of a second to 1/1000th of exposure.
I don't know what the asa settings should be or the other parameter you would find on an SLR type camera but I do know that the high speed (eg., quick exposure) shots would catch the feathers of the bird with a lot less motion in them.

Not all cameras can do this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Higher ASA settings will result in more noise, especially in the sky. A larger aperture will give you higher shutter speeds, but with a loss of depth of field. Lower shutter speeds will give you a better depth of field ( as Caleb said). If you a have continuous setting use that. Digital photos are free after you buy the camera.

Just like boats, it is all a compromise.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-09-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

My problem is, that for those in flight shots, the auto focus on the lens I am using is not quite fast enough. I am using shotter speeds between 1250'th and 2500'th of a second with asa settings up to 3200. I may have to revert to my 800mm manual lense and try to track them with that just rattling off the shots as I go along, changing the focus and then discard the 100 or so shots that are not on the money for the one that is. The last group of pictures where taken with a Sigma 105 to 300 mm zoom lense just because I could keep both birds in the picture while soomed out and then up the magnification as they closed in on each other. Still missed the moment where the fish passed in mid air between them but my reactions are not what they used to be.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 04-28-2013
Owned by Velcro

I did not take the camera this morning but had a quick look and there are 2 eggs in the nest. So "operation Osprey " is going ok so far.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 04-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

eggcellant!

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2013
Owned by Velcro

Well, no pictures of the eggs but here is one of a mother to be sitting on them in her finished nest.

Ever since she has been sitting on them, the male keeps a little bit away on a near pile and as soon as a bird of any size " threat" comes close to her and the future offspring, he goes into full attack mode ane even gets the bald eagles to take a detour around his bit of the bank to go fishing in the river, if they want to keep their feathers in tackt. he is also providing her with fish, that he catches, then takes the heads of them and drops them either to her in flight or at the edge of the nest before resuming in watch position at the pile next to the nest.

ATB

Michael

Old 04-29-2013
Owned by Velcro

And don't say that she looks like Gonzo in that picture, or I'll never heat the end of it for my lousy camera skills
miatapaul likes this.

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 05-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

You may find this link of interest. There is an ornithologist named Bob Kennedy who has been tracking Ospreys for a couple of years, starting in Nantucket and more recently in Jamaica Bay. He attaches a small GPS receiver and can track them on their migration. Amazing birds. If you go to the link you can follow the one from Jamaica Bay, which migrated to Colombia for the winter, including a 20 hour flight of 485 miles at one point. See Osprey's Journey |
Old 05-01-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
And don't say that she looks like Gonzo in that picture, or I'll never heat the end of it for my lousy camera scills
you read my mind as I was looking at that pic. Awesome pics again.

BTW just a question, are you allowed to put the frame on the piling like that? Just wondering if there is a concern of a public utility taking it down.
I think it's very cool you did that for them and the soon to be pics will be even more amazing I'm sure. Just hope there isn't a risk of loss to either you ($$)or the birds (nest)
Old 05-01-2013
Owned by Velcro

Well that pile is owned by the marina here and is part of the marina " footprint", but is not used anymore as the floating docks that used to be attached to it are no more. To be honest, at first when I put that frame on it I did not ask for permission and got into a bit of trouble with the manager of this place as she is not one for things to do with nature. To shut her up I offered to buy the pile, if she could clear it with her boss. That was the end of that argument. Now that there are eggs in it, it is protected by law and no one can take the nest down, even if they wanted to. I did not know all this when I put the frame on there and to be honest, I don't really give a hoot as long as those two birds make it through with their offspring. Sometimes it is better to ask for foriveness then to ask for permission. Just my way of thinking I guess.
Thank you for the link plumbean. Some interesting stuff there.
I'll keep you guys updated once there are any news with the kidds.

ATB

Michael

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.