Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Another Boat on the Beach, Another Anchor Thread

An 80 ton junk hit the beach off of Paradise Village last night, it's the 3rd boat on the beach around the Banderas Bay in a month.
There are many cruisers trying to free her at this moment.
I don't have any clear info about why this one is beached other than heresay but Mr heresay says that their engine died and they didn't have an anchor at all. That remains to be seen.
The next most recent one was Duct Tape, their chain & rope rode was cut on a rock and you can read all about it here on our blog if you'd like-
Duct Tape On The Rocks Ľ Landfall Voyages
The first one was (I think) Passing Wind. Mr heresay says that their rode was cut on the rocks near the chain as well. She was pulled free by cruisers also.
Plus I saved a dinghy from the breakwater a few days ago, the painter was chafed through.
I'd like to share what I've learned this year from experience and studying because these all happened in less than 25 knots of wind.. Flame on!
Which anchor you have isn't that important as long as it's the right size or bigger. It is in a bad blow if EVERYTHING else functions properly. That doesn't always happen.
It isn't usually the anchor dragging or the chain that's the problem, it's the other stuff. Failed shackles. Broken swivels. Cut rope. Chafe.
Chain & rope is useless around rocks.
Carelessness causes chafe.
People, it's the weak link that always fails first. Remove those weak links so that it does matter which anchor you have.
If your anchor is dragging, you have lots of time. If your swivel breaks, you'll be on the rocks in a couple minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Another Boat on the Beach, Another Anchor Thread

Not trying to start a war saying that only american things are good.. but I know where I am in theatre.. we ONLY use american made shackles and other rigging gear because we can rest assured that they are built to the standards they say they do

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Tamiko, The Duct Tape Blog was extreemly good! I have been following your blog for several months now, and this blog was one of the best. Fortunately, everyone was ok, and hopefully the boat escaped with minimal damage. They were lucky that you joined in on the rescue, as it looked like chaos before then. Any blog with the heading 'A Dwarf, a Gimp, a Dog and a Dick, trying to sail around the world' has to be very interesting. I take it that you are the 'Dick'...haha. Keep up the blogs!!!
sww914 and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 04-02-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

Steve here, I'm the dick. Tamiko is a really kind woman who isn't even mean to me while I'm busy being a dick!
Capt.aaron likes this.

Old 04-03-2013

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Wow, I was really confused! I guess I am a dick, you are THE Dick, and Tamiko is the HERO! Excellent job Tamiko!

Dale

www.MokaKat.com
sww914 likes this.
Old 04-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Not trying to start a war saying that only american things are good.. but I know where I am in theatre.. we ONLY use american made shackles and other rigging gear because we can rest assured that they are built to the standards they say they do
Do you think American products are more up to the standards than the French, Swedish, German or British (just to mention some nationalities)?

Take for instance winchard, a French brand: They do Sspectrographic analysis and tensile tests on each lot. Are you sure all American brands do that?

Regards

Paulo

Old 04-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Which anchor you have isn't that important as long as it's the right size or bigger. It is in a bad blow if EVERYTHING else functions properly. That doesn't always happen.
It isn't usually the anchor dragging or the chain that's the problem, it's the other stuff. Failed shackles. ....
I don't think so, I mean not regarding the importance of all other factors but regarding :" Which anchor you have isn't that important"

Testing shows that the difference in holding power for anchors with the same weight in the same spot can vary from 250kg to 2000kg. It is quite easy for a cruising boat to pull over 250kg but very difficult to overcome 2000kg.

There are another forgotten factor that is very much overlooked these days : anchor watch.

Regards

Paulo

Old 04-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good job, all of you, loved the blog write-up.

Pretty clear that you need chain on the bottom in the tropics.. if not all chain at least a significant length, not the typical 20-30 feet you see around the coast here.
sww914 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-03-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't think so, I mean not regarding the importance of all other factors but regarding :" Which anchor you have isn't that important"

Testing shows that the difference in holding power for anchors with the same weight in the same spot can vary from 250kg to 2000kg. It is quite easy for a cruising boat to pull over 250kg but very difficult to overcome 2000kg.

There are another forgotten factor that is very much overlooked these days : anchor watch.

Regards

Paulo
You're probably right, but it also depends on their definition of holding. I'd rather have an anchor that slowly drags like my CQR than to have a cut rode or a broken shackle. I guess tat my point is that many people put too much emphasis on which anchor they chose and they leave big fat gaping weak links.
In this case, much like what I said above, almost ANY anchor would have done the job.

Last edited by sww914; 04-03-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Here's an update on the FLYING DRAGON from Latitude 38...

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Sure doesn't look like something I'd ever want to have to claw off a lee shore on...