SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Jerry can & fender covers material? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98100-jerry-can-fender-covers-material.html)

Magnolia 04-03-2013 08:31 AM

Jerry can & fender covers material?

Mornin'

I'm wanting to make covers for jerry cans and fenders. I'll be attaching these to my lifelines. What is the best material for me to use? Do I have to buy the Sunbrella material? If so, from whom do I purchase it from? Sunbrella?

Thnx for your help!

remetau 04-03-2013 08:42 AM

Re: Jerry can & fender covers material?

Sunbrella would be the preferred material. You can buy it at Sailrite.com | Home

SimonV 04-03-2013 08:47 AM

Fenders I cover using cheap fleecy track pants, one leg per fender.

Magnolia 04-03-2013 09:04 AM

Thank you to you both. I'll check the website out. And, SimonV - I think I read this before. Great idea!

I have been making hanging hammocks out of webbed laundry bags. I made 3 different sizes out of one bag. Cost me $1.87 total. I trimmed the edges, and made loops on each side, with material that I paid $3 a yard for. I still have more than 1/2 left.

Faster 04-03-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 1011543)
Fenders I cover using cheap fleecy track pants, one leg per fender.

..Hockey socks work well too... get em at a sports consignment store.

JonEisberg 04-03-2013 09:25 AM

For jerry can covers, I'd suggest going with Stamoid...

Much less work to sew, as the edges don't have to hemmed like Sunbrella to prevent edges from unravelling, you won't have to deal with the thickness at corners that several layers of Sunbrella can present...

In addition, Stamoid will stow in a package far less bulky than an equivalent cover from Sunbrella, and if you're carrying something like diesel fuel in those jugs, it will be more resistant to staining or 'soaking up' fuel and its aroma than a fabric like Sunbrella...

I've become a big fan of Stamoid, virtually all of the canvas work on my boat employs it, I think my mainsail cover is the only thing still left made from Sunbrella... Covers for jerry cans are a pretty basic box, but for anything more intricate, Stamoid is the way to go, in my opinion...

SimonV 04-03-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1011562)
..Hockey socks work well too... get em at a sports consignment store.

Not a big call on these in Oz, and the postage from the US or Canada is more than the socks.:D

Faster 04-03-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV (Post 1011566)
Not a big call on these in Oz, and the postage from the US or Canada is more than the socks.:D

True, I suppose... but Kentucky's not so far - even though I don't think they have a hockey team either :confused: ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1011565)
..... Stamoid is the way to go, in my opinion...

Supplier, Jon?

jimgo 04-03-2013 09:33 AM

Jon,
Who carries Stamoid? I haven't heard of it before (not that that's a surprise).

Magnolia 04-03-2013 01:15 PM

No hockey team here! But we have the Nashville Predators just a few miles down the road. :)

Jon - same question, who has the Stamoid? Easier sewing is the way to go!