Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I have never been charged to be on the hard awaiting or having work being done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have never been charged to be on the hard awaiting or having work being done.
Wow, where do you haul. Generaly they throw in 2 day's free 'round here. the day you haul and the day splash.
Old 04-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

From the tone of the E-mail, it seems to me that he thinks the boat is a POS and he doesn't want to work on it.

I called the insurance company and filed a claim. This should be fun. For those who don't know, I bought my last boat, a Catalina 25, in October of 2011. We sailed until late November, and had a blast. I spent from February through April cleaning, upgrading, refinishing, recovering cushions, etc. for the boat, and was very proud of her when she launched last Spring. Engine issues kept us from enjoying the boat until mid-season last year, but toward the end of the season, we started to get the hang of it and really enjoyed the boat. My plan was to keep her in the water until around Thanksgiving, then have her hauled. A work trip caused me to travel out of the country for two weeks in early October, but I was looking forward to sailing when I got home. Shortly after I arrived home, and almost a year to the day after we took ownership of her, Hurricane Sandy struck. I was able to get to the dock and adjust the lines and get almost everything of value off, which was fortunate. There was a steel tugboat next to us, and she sank. In so doing, she listed into our slip, and apparently our boat bashed against the tug for the better part of the second half of the storm, plus the nor-easter that followed (couldn't get into that area, or onto the docks, in the interim). The boat was underinsured (we got it for a song and I was going to get a survey at the end of the season), so the insurance company wound up totaling it. Now here I am, less than 6 months later, with another claim. The sad part is, neither of these was my fault.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 04-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Wow, where do you haul. Generaly they throw in 2 day's free 'round here. the day you haul and the day splash.
I even went into the paint shop a few years ago for 6 weeks and negotiated away even the haul and relaunch, let alone paying nothing for the time on the hard. I was already on the hard elsewhere for the winter and said it was cheaper to stay there for the work. Pretty easy throw in for the yard I took her to. It doesn't really cost them anything to speak of.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I guess if the yard is doing the work, and you are playing them off each other.
I've only ever been in a DIY yard. This year in La Cieba will be the first time I've hired a yard to do anything for me besides haul and pressure wash.
Old 04-05-2013
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Jim, I just saw the thread...sorry for your troubles. If you really want to take her to Barnegat Bay, you may want to go by truck...not get towed. I looked up an estimate for a 31 footer from MD to NJ was just under a thousand. Look under Yachtworld...Services...Transport

I have no experience using the process; maybe someone here can provide the voice of experience.

Best of luck.
Old 04-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
Jim, I just saw the thread...sorry for your troubles. If you really want to take her to Barnegat Bay, you may want to go by truck...not get towed. I looked up an estimate for a 31 footer from MD to NJ was just under a thousand. Look under Yachtworld...Services...Transport

I have no experience using the process; maybe someone here can provide the voice of experience.

Best of luck.
If that's true maybe a good idea. Add in the cost of hauling and blocking her once she is delivered .

Check on the place I gave you in he Sassarass. Ferry point is not working/ dealing well with you and sounds like they don't want to do the work. 8000 in repairs will get you a lot more than what you need done. A complete engine rebuild is no more than 4000 on my 3GMF Yanmar.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-05-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
No. Are they decent?

My thinking is that, since Ferry Point isn't responding, I'm going to have to pay for towing, whether it's over to Rock Hall or up to Atlantic Marina. I haven't priced it out yet, but the cost difference between those two destinations may be quickly offset by the skill of the mechanics and the available equipment. Looking at Active Captain and reviews other places, Haven Harbour seems to have a good reputation. They also seem to have the equipment to handle my boat and engine. I can't find too much about Atlantic. Can you tell me more?
Atlantic could haul my Alberg, I don't see why it couldn't haul you out as well. As far as the work goes, if you're looking for someone to do the work, I know the guy that has a shop at Atlantic seemed knowledgeable the few times we spoke. I have no idea if he's any good, you'd have to talk to him and feel him out. They handle a lot of power boats at Atlantic, so maybe that could be an asset regarding motor work? I really don't know but they are worth talking to.

I liked Atlantic as they were willing to negotiate on slip price and were very laid back. Their prices were very reasonable.
Old 04-05-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Is a Plath 7 b one of those winches made out of solid gold and runs on the blood of flightless dragons?
Ah, I see you've heard of it..

Quote:
The Capehorn, yes, the most impressive thing I've ever bought, well second to my wifes ring...no wait, I sold my boat once and bought it back, so after my wifes ring and the boat, the Capehorn self sterring device is the third most impressive thing I've bought......and my 1978 jeep J10m, midnight blue
(in a full moon) pick up truck with the original AM-CB radio and Levis seat covers. those, in order are the things I've most impressed my self with.
Nice. I almost went with the Cape Horn but decided against it in the end due to it sucking up the lazzerette space with it's mechanics (I know Yves makes a model with the guts outboard, but then what's the point? Might as well get a Norvane at 2/3 the price, which is what I did). I do love that thing though, such a pretty work of art. We've talked to Yves a couple of times/years at the Boat show, it's always fun discussing A-30 stuff with the legend (Never mentioned the Norvane though, for the obvious heresy). He signed my copy of his movie..

So... what's you CB handle btw? That's so FL...

Quote:
That Capehorn better thread my boat through a needle in either 30 knots or 3 of wind, up and or down it. I'm impressed with Yves, ( he actully answered the phone when I called to order) his voyage and his company service. The unit arrives the day I get off the tug next week. I have 2 weeks to install and shake down the boat and then back to sea. Worth every penny thus far.
Well, it's supposed to preform as good as it looks, so..

I'm sure it will live up to it's reputation.

Former glory:

Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 04-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

For what it's worth I use Harbor Haven for all work including engine work on Haleakula. They have 6 mechanics and can handle all work on all engines. They are the primer Yanmar dealer in the. Upper Chesapeake. The have their own rigging shop, their own paint and awl grip buildings. They are the best IMHO.

I travel across the Bay to use them. They are honest, honor their work and have a primo reputation. They also run a first class marina. If the work can be done in a slip thy don't charge you for the slip. Most of your work can be done that way with a hang for the new shaft.

They are not cheap, but they are thorough and honest. Ask for Woody. He is the manager of the maintaince yard.

Dave
jimgo likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner