Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I've only ever been in a DIY yard. ....
Sure, all DIY yards are going to charge to haul, launch and for time on the blocks. Free only if the yard is getting the work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Ah, I see you've heard of it..

Nice. I almost went with the Cape Horn but decided against it in the end due to it sucking up the lazzerette space with it's mechanics (I know Yves makes a model with the guts outboard, but then what's the point? Might as well get a Norvane at 2/3 the price, which is what I did). I do love that thing though, such a pretty work of art. We've talked to Yves a couple of times/years at the Boat show, it's always fun discussing A-30 stuff with the legend (Never mentioned the Norvane though, for the obvious heresy). He signed my copy of his movie..

So... what's you CB handle btw? That's so FL...

Well, it's supposed to preform as good as it looks, so..

I'm sure it will live up to it's reputation.

Former glory:

Former Boat, but the Glory is yours forever. Still a fan of your work. ( and your avitar thing, I get it) To stay on topic for the op, my point in even mentioning the Capehorn is, that although my old beefed up hull on it's own is mostly likely not worth what I spent on the windvane, I'll spend more than that this week on my life raft and other gear I'm buying for my next voyage, and I will most likely spend 3 times what my boat is worth on my new engine next year. All said and done, by next year I will have 20 grand in a 10 thousand dollar boat. Like I said, Mother Ocean does'nt look at receipts, she only judges the work done. So hang in there and see it through, eventually you just have to pick a boat and get down and dirty on it. The reward is worth it, not re-sale value, but in sail value.
Chrisncate my handle is Saltydog, like the drink, but all I recieve is static, I guess the 70's are really over after all.
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-05-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I've only owned older boats (1959 and 1975) and things break that I can't afford to fix (routinely). Today I was in the yard doing yet another project that I thought was way above my skill level. Once I was pushed to really try it anyway (because of a heart-attack inducing cost quote) I found out that I could figure it out and do it. Sweat? Yeah lots. Blood, some. Tears, not yet this time, but it's happened in the past before it was all done.

Do it yourself, the pride in ownership, accomplishment, and the skills you learn are invaluable. Doing stuff like this is part of how you get that special bond between a boat and her owner. You KNOW your boat when you've worked a lot on her. You'll be able to "feel" "hear" or "smell" something not-quite-right in the future and since you will know her strengths and weaknesses you'll be able to catch it before it blows up next time.

With all due respect to the great and skilled mechanics out there, this is not brain surgery. Seriously. If you found out your wife had a brain tumor but you couldn't afford the surgery, you just could not try it yourself. Engine work is easy and accessible enough that you CAN do it yourself. You don't have to got to school for 20 years to be a mechanic, give it a try.

For inspiration, click here:
Amazing engine work in progress right here on Sailnet

MedSailor
bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Wow, I had missed Por-Fin's thread. That's impressive! I wish I had those skills and tools!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-06-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

At this point my thinking would be either to borrow or buy a 9.9 HP outboard on CL, and a bracket off the internet and get the boat home that way, or put some wrenches in my toolbox and sleep on the boat until I can repair her myself.

If you buy the outboard ( say for $1000) and don't want it later you can sell it an get some or most of your $$ back.

This yard sounds like they are out to get rich off your bad luck.
Old 04-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Wow, I had missed Por-Fin's thread. That's impressive! I wish I had those skills and tools!
Skill and tools are both accumulated by doing.

Something to think about, as Med pointed out: This ain't rocket surgery.
Now, that doesn't mean that there is not some precision and technique involved, but these drivetrains are a whole hell of a lot simpler than the drivetrain in the average 20 year old car.

Average yard shop rate is $90, and a good mechanic is worth at least that,
1. when you need him,
2. can afford him, and
3. when your time is worth more than his time.
But if, like most of us, your life rarely sees the intersection of more than 2 of the 3, getting your hands dirty is both necessary and satisfying.

And it takes far fewer tools and less money than you think.
4 hours of labour at $90 will buy you:
A decent quality socket set with 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets.
A good quality torque wrench.
A breaker bar.
A pry bar or two.
A dead blow mallet.
A good set of box end wrenches, stubby and regular length
A set of good screwdrivers, that you can turn with a wrench.
A tool box to put it all in.

Old 04-06-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

A good toolbox is a necessary pc. of equipment if you plan on owning a cruising sailboat. It should have everything you need to do major repair to motor, rigging, hull, and anything else that will break at the most inopportune time. The thing that will break will be that one thing you don't have the tool to fix (corollary to Murphy's Law:-). You also need factory maintenance manuals that give detailed instructions on how to fix stuff. $100 spent on a factory engine manual will pay for itself many times over. Don't want to throw this thread off the track but there must be threads about tools to have on a sailboat.
Old 04-06-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
A good toolbox is a necessary pc. of equipment if you plan on owning a cruising sailboat. .... Don't want to throw this thread off the track but there must be threads about tools to have on a sailboat.
Why yes, there are.

Favorite boat tools thread

How to store tools on a sailboat

I'd also like to add, that I really agree with Bljones on this thread. Listen to his posts. I also think that buying/borrowing an outboard and making a quick bracket to get the boat home is a good idea. You can likely sell a craigslist engine for the same as you bought it. Sometimes more if you find a deal.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-06-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Former Boat, but the Glory is yours forever. Still a fan of your work. ( and your avitar thing, I get it) To stay on topic for the op, my point in even mentioning the Capehorn is, that although my old beefed up hull on it's own is mostly likely not worth what I spent on the windvane, I'll spend more than that this week on my life raft and other gear I'm buying for my next voyage, and I will most likely spend 3 times what my boat is worth on my new engine next year. All said and done, by next year I will have 20 grand in a 10 thousand dollar boat. Like I said, Mother Ocean does'nt look at receipts, she only judges the work done. So hang in there and see it through, eventually you just have to pick a boat and get down and dirty on it. The reward is worth it, not re-sale value, but in sail value.
Chrisncate my handle is Saltydog, like the drink, but all I recieve is static, I guess the 70's are really over after all.

I know where you're coming from, and you're right. If you're keeping the boat for sure, might as well build her to your desire (whether through sweat equity or financially, or both). It makes all the difference when you take out the notion of any future sale (anytime soon at least), and you love the boat. We loved Heron and did everything our way, and then decided to sell "our" boat that was very outside of the mainstream. My view is of course colored by our experiences doing what we did.

I would still say however, if the hull is not particularly desirable in some way (whether quality, seaworthiness based on expected future use, classic lines, whatever the case may be) , I'm not sure I'd say go ape $hit on just any hull. A big repair makes sense enough for the most part though if you love your boat and know you're keeping her.

That's a good CB handle btw. Thanks for the kudos on the work, I appreciate that

Last edited by chrisncate; 04-06-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Well, yeah, you can't polish a terd, make a silk purse out of a sow's ear etc. You'd just be whistl'n dixie if the boat is crap. I don't know anything about Allmands. I can't even remember what eng. it is we are talking about. But the op bought it. likes it. I bet if he raises the sail, push and pulls on the tiller and gets side way's to the wind he'll start sailing around, which is what he's trying to do. I'd take all the crap off it that doesn't work and just sail it around and have fun. Fix up the little eng. put the wife and the wine on it and get out there. Chrisncate went ape sh!t on their boat, she's a friken priceless piece of art in my book. I don't have that kind of restoration skill. Jimgo's got some work ahead, he's all ready had some hard lessons and more to come. It gets easier man, hang in there.
Saltydog out.
chrisncate likes this.