Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I should add to Jimgo - we found it really fun and rewarding to do the work ourselves. It was fun to learn to do everything as we went. It's not for everyone, but it can be surprising to see what you can get done. I look forward to hearing how it goes as it unfolds for you.

I may have missed it in the thread: What's up with Ferry Point? Have you considered there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

The boat was towed yesterday from Chuck's slip over to Haven Harbour. She's hiding out there until my insurance can get over there to look for signs of an accident. If they find some (and I suspect they may), then we'll see what they can work out.

If there isn't any sign of an accident, then I'll have to figure out how to go. I've found another Allmand owner who has offered me his transmission and drivetrain in exchange for taking him out sailing (his boat was totaled in Sandy). I'll be happy to take him out sailing anway (good to get someone with knowledge of the boat's ability out with me), but that may be an option. I'm also interested to see what the marina says is wrong.

I wasn't able to stay aboard very long - the tow took about 3 hours, and ate into most of the usable part of my day. However, I was able to take a bunch of pictures of the engine and to look for some of the things that the local marina said were wrong, and I'm just not seeing it. For example, I know the hoses SHOULD be replaced, so I know how old they are, their condition, etc. But in looking very carefully at most of them, I don't see any that are anywhere near as bad as was suggested. Similarly, I don't see the prop shaft cutting into the hull. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for these, but nothing jumped out at me.

I had the impression that they really didn't want to do the work, and after having spent some time double-checking their suggestions, I'm even happier to not be having them do the work.

By contrast, Haven Harbor has been VERY gracious, and a nice place to deal with so far. My opinion may change, but for now I'm much more comfortable there.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

ChrisNCate, I'm very much a DIY person for a lot of things. I re-rigged my old boat, including splicing everything myself. I also sewed new covers for the salon, touched up the stitching on the sails, buffed out the hull, refinished all the wood, rewired some of her stuff, etc. But I had a bad experience with DIY'ing repairs on the outboard and wound up having to buy a new engine. So, at this point I'm gun shy when it comes to something mechanical, and especially when it's the primary propulsion for the boat I'll have my family in. If it's TOO crazy expensive, I may HAVE to DIY. But the time it will take, and the fact that I'm eating into my season, weighs heavily on the decisions here.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I've found another Allmand owner who has offered me his transmission and drivetrain in exchange for taking him out sailing (his boat was totaled in Sandy).
WOW that is GREAT NEWS!!! That means another motor and tranny and you can keep yours for spares (or pull off all the good bits and just keep them).

Don't sweat the "bad hoses" thing. That's an opinion and if they aren't leaking they don't NEED to be replaced just yet. Get a second opinion from someone who won't be making money off of you.

I was told that my transmission was toast once. I was told that I "might" be able to motor it the 14 hrs or so to Seattle but I had better get towing insurance for the trip. That was 5 years and a LOT of motoring ago.... Opinions on when stuff "should" be replaced are just that. When stuff breaks, it needs to be replaced. Forecasting when something will break is trying to tell the future.

I'm not sure I buy the motor mounts or stuffing box issues either. Is the stuffing box leaking now? No? Then it's probably still good. If not, it's only $5-700 to have it torn out and replaced with a drip-less unit.

Sounds to me like things are looking up!

MedSailor

PS I'm not against preventative maintenance, but I am trying to draw a distinction between preventive maintenance and what MUST be done NOW.
jimgo likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Med, thank you that's exactly what I was trying to say. I'm not against preventative maintenance, but not NOW. Now, I need to get the boat home. THEN I can do the other stuff.

To the questions about the stuffing box area, here are two pictures:

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something. By the way, yes, I do see the rusted hose clamps, and I do know they need to be replaced.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

OK, one last round of questions. The boat slipped off the lift when they were hauling her for the inspection. The haul happened after the surveyor looked over the engine. Could a drop like this have done damage to the engine? At the time, my impression was that it wasn't any worse than what you could expect to see sailing, but I figured it was worth asking.

1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Looks like you've got a bolted-in shaft log, as opposed to a FG molded-in tube, so the comment that the shaft has been cutting into the hull makes no sense. The area in your pics is not exactly pristine but not untypical either.

The travel lift hijinks are weird to see... it's like the travel lift itself let go.. if anything the boat was bow high and not likely to slip 'down'. Poor operator? The only concern I'd have about that (it was a fairly 'gently' landing) is that the aft strap ended up on the propshaft somehow. That's a big no-no.
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I wondering about the same thing Faster is. When the sling slipped was te boat supported by the slings or the water. Did you see it happen? It looks like the bow lowered and th sling pulled upward on th shaft as it slid down the hull aft ward. That cpud defiant
Ey put pressure on you prop therefore tranny.

Again I only use Harbor Haven. They aren't cheep, but thy are knowledgable and honest . Woody is a good man too. The mechanics are factory trained and attend classes often. Any job they have done on my boat. thy have on top notch,.

4 years ago new injectors and a minor rebuild including valves.
Last year new prop shaft, coupling, dripless seal, cutlass bearing and engine mounts.

Dave.
jimgo likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
OK, one last round of questions. The boat slipped off the lift when they were hauling her for the inspection. The haul happened after the surveyor looked over the engine. Could a drop like this have done damage to the engine?

YES!

When the front sling let go, what happened? The entire weight of the boat (and now forward motion) was stopped by the aft sling. What exactly stopped the boat from slipping forward and off of the aft sling? I'd say, judging by the placement of the aft sling, the prop or rudder stopped the boat from slipping forward and getting underway.

The entire weight of the boat was suddenly pulling aft on the prop and prop-shaft. That could have destroyed a transmission. Good job you took a video (I always do too).

This is another reason why I like to use yards that use a "Sea-Lift" instead of a "Travel-Lift". I watched teenage yard-monkeys try FIVE times to raise my parents boat using a travel-lift and almost drop it. Dropping a boat is almost impossible to do with a sea lift.

BTW your hoses and log look fine.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I was there (I shot the video). As I recall, the aft lifting strap didn't move, but I was near the bow and that's where my attention was focused (that part had just let go!). Here's what that looked like when the boat was in the sling:

Here's what the keel looks like:
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 04-08-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.