Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Here's a brighter version of the aft sling placement picture:
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

That shaft is long out of the boat . I'll bet the sling pulled up on it torquing the coupling connection to he tranny. Good job with the video.

I don't like the way the strut looks either unless that's just growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I shot the video because I thought my kids would enjoy seeing our boat fly. Never thought it would help for something like this.

Dave, I think that's mostly growth on the strut (if we're looking at the same thing, the support for the prop shaft that houses the cutlas bearing).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For pete's sakes, dropping the boat would make me vomit. It does look like either the life failed or the operator did something wrong. It didn't seem like the sling slipped to do that. If they pulled it back up immediately following, my nickle is on operator error.

That vid may really come in handy, if your upcoming inspection draws any connection.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Seeing that they placed the sling under the shaft, and forward of the strut, it looks like the strut itself would have stopped forward motion. That would be less likely to cause transmission damage than what I was imagining.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

In looking at the video, it doesn't appear that the aft lifting strap moves all that much during the fall. Now, whether it was properly located is another story (it may, for example have been across/under the propellor shaft).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Your two shots of the aft strap are a bit inconclusive.. looks to me that if the strap is on the shaft it is barely so, right at the exit point. I think the front strap was released during the 'drop'.. so operator error seems likely.

Closer photos of the suspect areas/alleged damage would be good!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Faster, I wish I could give you more pictures; that's all I have. Its funny, because I feel like I take WAY too many pictures most of the time. Then I get into situations like this, and think I don't take nearly enough!

The surveyor for the insurance company called me yesterday. They want the marina to disassemble the engine to see if there is anything else going on, and to give their expert opinion of what happened. If no accident has happened, I'll have to eat those costs, which I'm not thrilled about, but it is the most fair way to have the problem diagnosed. The surveyor spoke highly of Haven Harbor, which made me feel good, too. Hopefully the marina will be able to get to the engine soon; I know they are backed up with Spring conditioning work. I'll let you know what happens!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-10-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop Jim.
At the very least this is making all of us (or at least me) cast a hairy eye on how insurance works.

I would think that since you've made a claim, and have a valid reason to believe it was accidental (no long term signs of rubbing etc) they would front the money to prove otherwise or just pay up.
That's like saying if I hit a log I have to show the log and prove I hit it.

I'd have a hard time swallowing the entire cost of the yard doing the engine pull - that is something you could do your self; maybe you can negotiate that down.

Sad news is if it's proven to be an 'accident' that caused the transmission to blow they are still likely to call it a total.
Faster likes this.
Old 04-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I guess I'm missing what is covered here. If the skipper caused the damage, is it insured? Does it have to be an event that was beyond anyone's control. Confusing.

Anyway, did you use a broker/agent or buy direct from an insurance company? These are circumstances where having a broker/agent can really pay off. The technically represent the insurance company, but have a higher vested interest in keeping you as a client.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.