Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Jimgo, let the insurance investigate, and if they declare the boat a total loss along with an accompaning cashiers check for its value, all is not lost. I believe most insurance companies must give the insurer, the first chance to buy the scrapped boat, before it is offered to any other buyers.
This probably is why not many of Sandy's wrecks, have ended up on the open market.
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by sony2000; 04-10-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Minne,
If the damage was as a result of an accident, regardless of who was at the helm, my insurance will cover the repairs (or total the boat) because I have comprehensive coverage in addition to collision coverage. If there was an accident while the captain was at the helm, the insurance company may be able to go after him/his insurance for subrogation. My policy, and this may vary from insurer to insurer, says that if the damage was due to improperly/poorly maintained equipment, rather than a true "accident", then that won't be covered by my insurance.

What gets hairy here is that they wrote the policy and relied on a survey that said that the boat was in generally servicable condition. Aside from the "sea trial" when we moved the boat (in heavy headwinds) from the slip to the travellift, I have yet to be aboard the boat when she was away from the dock, and I have yet to take control of the boat in any way. She was moved by the surveyor to the lift and then blocked because I wanted the bottom painted. The marina moved her back to the slip. The captain moved her from Deltaville to Pasadena, and TowBoatUS moved her from Pasadena to Rock Hall.

I got my insurance through an agent. I'm waiting to see how things go, and may enlist their aid - we have two cars, three boats, and a home all insured through them.

Chuck, apparently many insured have "stuck" the insurance company with the costs associated with this kind of work. I had to sign something saying that I understood that if there wasn't an accident, they weren't responsible for the costs (which is consistent with my insurance policy).
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

What happens if the accident was during the survey, before you owned the boat? Isn't that the most likely theorized scenario based on your video?
Old 04-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

My theory is a submerged object near the Magothy. I think a severe misalignment/damage during the survey would have shown itself after the first day of motoring. But that's just my unprofessional guess.
JimMcGee likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
My theory is a submerged object near the Magothy. I think a severe misalignment/damage during the survey would have shown itself after the first day of motoring. But that's just my unprofessional guess.
Agree, he had two days in heavy wind before it died all of a sudden.
Old 04-10-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

One theory: We all saw the boat slip in its straps. Any weight on the driveshaft is enough to upset ***something***. Then the boat does two days of heavy motoring, with possibly a vibration that is ignored by the crew, because they are paid for the trip from A to B, or they don't get paid.
Thats all it took, to make everything in the engine room to let go.
Old 04-10-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim,
At this point we can all speculate to death. Best to wait and see what the adjuster says, then you can plan how to move forward.

Trust me, everyone here feels for you. Watching that video was a gut punch. I can only imagine what it was like to be there.

Best of luck,
Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-10-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Agreed, Jim. And thanks to everyone for the help and support!!!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
.....I'm waiting to see how things go, and may enlist their aid - we have two cars, three boats, and a home all insured through them......
That could be way too late. If they received compensation for placing your coverage, they should be helping you with the claims process. Most will be very beneficial. If they aren't, then bring all your business elsewhere.

Seriously, get them on your side. They have much more weight with the insurance companies than you do. You represent one premium. The insurance agent can send thousands of customers to them, or take them away.
MedSailor likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Well, I finally received the estimate from Haven Harbour. They did it in stages, and tried to do a "worst case" estimate for what might be wrong. They said their goal was to come in under that value, if they can. The estimate doesn't include the cost of repairing the prop or prop shaft; that they won't know about until after the boat is out of the water. It's still a painful amount of money, but still thousands less than the marina in Pasadena.
ottos likes this.
1975 Albacore 15