Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks Chuck!

I'm just looking at all my options. I don't really expect that a new engine will be in the cards, or necessary. The estimate includes a decent amount of labor hours, and I was just wondering if, in the end, it would be more cost-effective or efficient to go with a new engine since all the marina would be doing is pulling the old, and dropping in a new.
Wish it were that easy. You still have to rebed, align etc. The engine costs about $9000 the rest is in labor costs. T37chef just did a new Beta engine, same HP. He can speak to the total costs better than I can.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Well, that does make my decisions will be easier. That's more than I was hoping.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Well, that does make my decisions will be easier. That's more than I was hoping.
You could always find a used motor as well. It doesn't have to be new.
Old 05-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Fairpoint, except that a used engine puts me right back in the same basic position, not knowing exactly how good it is. That was the advantage of the new engine, at least I would have a warranty and know its general condition.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-03-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Betting still it's the flex plate. These "mechanics" are just weaving a web of scare tactics around the issue Jim. Someone needs to be there when this investigating starts. By the way the 5416, is a sleeved cylinder engine and totally rebuildable. A new engine won't cover any labor costs most likely

My boat is for sale.

Old 05-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Denise, I agree, I think its the damping plate. Haven Harbour has said that they will test the transmission before they make a decision as to its condition. I hope that it won't be in bad shape, but who knows. Still a lot up in the air.

I have a call in to the insurance company about next steps. I'll be calling my agent tomorrow (still have 2 other boats to be insured, and may look into taking my business elsewhere depending on how this goes) and then calling the insurance company's rep again. Hopefully we'll get the work kicked off this week.
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-06-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I call ignorance.

What's a dampening plate? Do all transmission have them or are they an extra? I recall recently reading the blog of S/V Wondertime and their dampener plate $hit the bed on the much feared trip from Fiji to NZ. If I recall it sounded like an "added extra" feature.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-06-2013
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road

There have got to be a lot of salvage motors in our area now. You just need to figure out how to get rid of that fibreglass wrapper that they have. ;-)

I suspect my former boat is going to go for a little more than the recently rebuilt transmission cost.

/ed
Old 05-06-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Stay strong buddy. I have been at the lowest of lows before, and posted on here about it. Take a few days, re-evaluate your plans, and open up the can of elbow grease. On the bright side you have a great boat.
Old 05-06-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

RE; Foley Engines
"Damper plates lead a tough life

They work in the dark, are often soaked in salt water, and are never checked, let alone maintained. They are the marine equivalent of a mushroom! The damper plate is bolted to the flywheel with a half dozen or so small metric allen bolts. Into this clutch like plate slides the splined input shaft of the Hurth or Borgwarner gear. The damper plate acts as coupler between the engine and the transmission and all torque is transmitted through it.
Noisy damper plate

Sometimes these hard working clutches rebel and their springs loosen up and even fall out. Or one or more of the allen bolts back out and the plate become loose and moves around. Symptoms of this will be a rattling sound from the bellhousing area when in neutral. Engaging gear is often difficult and the Hurth gear is hard to shift. Often loose or missing springs is the only problem. People often think that they need a new transmission when all they need is to replace the damper plate.
What to look for

If you suspect that your damper plate springs are loose and rattling around and that you have damper plate problems here is what to look for. First check your linkage to ensure that everything is tight and working properly. Then check that the bolts holding the damper plate in place are present and installed correctly. Verify that the Hurth or Borgwarner gear is not mis-aligned. Use a dial indicator to check for this. Finally, if the damper plate is worn and/or springs are missing, check to see that your Hurth or Borgwarner gear's front bearing hasn't failed. Worn damper plates can often cause the transmissions' input shaft to wear and result in front bearing
failure."

What they look like. It's the springs that rattle

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.