Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Thanks Denise. We found pieces of the springs inside the starter when we pulled it. Neither the surveyor nor the captain said they heard anything that sounded like a loose spring inside the engine prior to the failure (I'm both new to diesel engines and hearing impaired, so you don't want to trust my ears in this case). That's part of what makes me think it wasn't just poor maintenance, but rather an accident that caused the failure.

To the DIY question, putting aside the time issue (we have lots going on lately), I don't have a dial guage, and wouldn't know what to look for if I were to rebuild this myself. I'm not set up for dragging the engine back, either, and don't relish the thought of trying to do all of this hunched over the engine. Plus, I'm not set up to, and wouldn't know how to, handle the alignment once everything was back together. It seems to me that I need the marina/another experienced mechanic to do that stuff, and that's a good chunk of the cost of the repairs. Yes, I'll still save money if I do some of this myself, but that's going to slow things down, and I'm not sure I'll save all that much, either.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Jim,

I'm just now going through this thread and I wanted to say how sorry I am that you got hit by the engine trouble before you got to the fun part of having the new boat. I really hope this works out for you.
chef2sail and jimgo like this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I spoke with my insurance company on Monday, and we're all set. They gave Haven Harbour the green light to haul the boat, and HH said that she's on the schedule for later today or early tomorrow. Once she's hauled, we'll get a sense for what's wrong with her and develop a plan.

Thank you all VERY much for your support and feedback. It may not always sound like it, but I do apreciate the different perspectives people provide.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Hang in there man. I know how you feel. If you need a boat to go sailing in while yours is fixed, drive over to Sandy Hook and we'll go sailing

btw if you want a surveyor recommendation I've had great experiences with one particular person. Extreemly detailed.
Old 05-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks! Be careful, I may take you up on the offer!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Hang in there. I just got my boat in the water after major (medium?) surgery. It's soooo nice to have her back and better than new.

Soon enough I hope for you!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Med, it's funny, when I talked to the marina yesterday, I said to the guy "I never expected to be excited that my boat would be taken OUT of the water in May".

Glad you're back in the water; hopefully you'll be out enjoying a wonderful sumer!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-14-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jim you jinxed me! My trans won't go into fwd by turning the output end. (cable off) ARRRG. going to try starting the engine see it if goes in gear that way. need water for the cutless and my pss seal when it starts. (shes on the hard yet)

my current "project"!
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Oh no!!!

Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? Will the transmission turn backward? Will it spin in neutral or is it bound up?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-14-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

fluid is good. it spins. goes in Rev. If I remember right it was always free spinning when in fwd and engine was off. rebuild parts are just under $300, I've help if I have to take it out. just won't be sailing this season!

my current "project"!