Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

A NJ rendezvous would be GREAT! I'd love the chance to meet some of you. And then there are some... (kidding)

I had a chance to get down to the boat today. They still haven't started working on it, but at this point that's not stopping me from trying to get it as ready as possible. So, I installed the new sail cover:

Against the suggestions of some, I went with Velcro for the front closure. The reason I went with it was that, toward the end of the assembly, I realized I had made a mistake. The old sail cover's two sides weren't mirror images; one side was longer than the other because there was a flap that covered the zipper. Thankfully, I had made both of my sides based on the longer side of the old cover. But that then left me with the issue of exactly how big I needed the opening to be so it could fit around the mast. With the old sail cover disassembled and the boat 2.5 hours away, that was tough to figure out. So, I decided on 2" wide Velcro because it gave me some "play", where the zipper would mean I was stuck with the size.

I was very happy with the way it fit. It could probably be 1-2" longer at the aft end, but where it ends is fine. And if I made the collar that goes around the mast a little higher, it would completely protect the exit block for the topping lift, which might be nice. But those are little details that really aren't critical at this point. I was just happy to finally have a cover that didn't have rips and tears in it.

Happy with that progress, I installed a 2nd solar vent today. Last time, I drilled the hole for the vent from the inside of the boat, and went home covered in fiberglass dust (and the accompanying itch). So, this time I decided I was going to be smart and cut the hole from the top. I drilled a pilot hole to make sure everything was in a decent location, then taped a bag to the inside of the boat to catch anything that fell. That was a waste. As I drilled from the top, the fiberglass dust got picked up by the wind and blown all over my legs, so very little went into the boat anyway! As I cut with the hole saw, the "saw" blade would bind up occasionally and I backed off and tried to just let the teeth do their thing. Well, apparently I wasn't putting equal pressure on it, and the guide bit I had in the middle was causing the plug I was cutting out to pinch the blade. Meanwhile, the repeated pinching caused me to literally fry the motor in the drill. Here I am, in a strange locale, with 2/3 of a hole in my boat, and no way to finish it. Thankfully there was an Ace Hardware nearby, and I was able to get a replacement drill and finish the job.

I also made a bimini pattern, for the second time. I realized a few days ago that with my backstay in the way, what I really needed to do was to make two patterns, one port and one starboard, and overlay them. That worked much better than the slit I cut in the original one. However, the heat today caused the heavy-gauge plastic that I bought for use as a patterning material to stretch, so now I'm a little worried. Thankfully, the lines I drew on this pattern pretty well match those on the previous one.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good progress.

Let me try an describe the bimini we made and we also have a backstay it needs to go around. Cut both sides equal but you want the to add 2 inches to the fabric on each piece so it overlaps the other piece by two inches on the line from aft to fore from the back stay. When you sew hem together you will have with two different lines of stitching running fore/ after 2 inches on each side of the backstay line or the stitching line is 4 inches apart. The overlap material essentially creates two layers of fabric on the centerline that is four inches wide. This will add added strength to the bimini in it pressure point

Now go to the aft end of the joined fabric and cut through the doubled fabric from the end to the backstay and 12 more inches forward. Put a zipper here attaching to each side. You will need two pulls installed on the zipper ( always double tagged....one goes all the way to the end of the fabric forward of the back stay, the other is one the most aft end of the fabric.

When you install the bimini, the zipper will get pulled from each end by the two zipper pulls to close the bimini together to the back stay.

I suggest also you place two windows on either side towards the rear so you can see the windex on the top of the mast.

Image of the backstay is faint behind the empty radar mast when this picture was taken 4 years ago. You can make out the zipper line and the two windows in the bimini though

photo SN_Photo-046_zps758a6092.jpg

Better picture showing the zipper around the backstay and one of the pulls. The next year we put the windows in.
 photo IMG_0437.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
A NJ rendezvous would be GREAT! I'd love the chance to meet some of you. And then there are some... (kidding)

I had a chance to get down to the boat today. They still haven't started working on it, but at this point that's not stopping me from trying to get it as ready as possible. So, I installed the new sail cover:

Against the suggestions of some, I went with Velcro for the front closure. The reason I went with it was that, toward the end of the assembly, I realized I had made a mistake. The old sail cover's two sides weren't mirror images; one side was longer than the other because there was a flap that covered the zipper. Thankfully, I had made both of my sides based on the longer side of the old cover. But that then left me with the issue of exactly how big I needed the opening to be so it could fit around the mast. With the old sail cover disassembled and the boat 2.5 hours away, that was tough to figure out. So, I decided on 2" wide Velcro because it gave me some "play", where the zipper would mean I was stuck with the size.

I was very happy with the way it fit. It could probably be 1-2" longer at the aft end, but where it ends is fine. And if I made the collar that goes around the mast a little higher, it would completely protect the exit block for the topping lift, which might be nice. But those are little details that really aren't critical at this point. I was just happy to finally have a cover that didn't have rips and tears in it.

Happy with that progress, I installed a 2nd solar vent today. Last time, I drilled the hole for the vent from the inside of the boat, and went home covered in fiberglass dust (and the accompanying itch). So, this time I decided I was going to be smart and cut the hole from the top. I drilled a pilot hole to make sure everything was in a decent location, then taped a bag to the inside of the boat to catch anything that fell. That was a waste. As I drilled from the top, the fiberglass dust got picked up by the wind and blown all over my legs, so very little went into the boat anyway! As I cut with the hole saw, the "saw" blade would bind up occasionally and I backed off and tried to just let the teeth do their thing. Well, apparently I wasn't putting equal pressure on it, and the guide bit I had in the middle was causing the plug I was cutting out to pinch the blade. Meanwhile, the repeated pinching caused me to literally fry the motor in the drill. Here I am, in a strange locale, with 2/3 of a hole in my boat, and no way to finish it. Thankfully there was an Ace Hardware nearby, and I was able to get a replacement drill and finish the job.

I also made a bimini pattern, for the second time. I realized a few days ago that with my backstay in the way, what I really needed to do was to make two patterns, one port and one starboard, and overlay them. That worked much better than the slit I cut in the original one. However, the heat today caused the heavy-gauge plastic that I bought for use as a patterning material to stretch, so now I'm a little worried. Thankfully, the lines I drew on this pattern pretty well match those on the previous one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks Dave! I was just sitting here trying to decide how to handle the backstay. In mine, I have a radar mount hanging from the backstay, so I'll need a wide opening. The double zipper is an interesting idea, but I was also thinking of something like a weatherstripping-lined "groove" or slot that the backstay and radar mount could move inside.

Windows were already on my to-do list. I sat in the aft areas of the cockpit and imagined where I'd want the window so I could see the top of the mast.

Do you have covers on the TOP of your windows, too? I was going to put some on the bottom, but top covers seem like a good idea, too.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I leave the zipper open somewhat so there is room for the backstay to move and you can also see the windex. The windows have covers underneath. You cant get to the top easily. I you leave a slot, with out the end closed it will ride sown the rubes eventually. You could also put grommets in the end and tie too.

We used a zipper so when it rains we can close it up against the stay so the helm stays dry. My wife also mad a connector to the dodger as well as zip in side curtains ( zips under the side lips) for the bimini, which snap to the dodger side sides so we can make a full enclosure if the weather sucks.

When we travel its a lot better if its enclosed when raining so we don't get as worn out exposed. Also makes a nice little additional space when its raining at anchor.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-02-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

did the original poster ever figger out how to save his boat without paying union scale????

or did he actually part it out..or is he using it or......

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-02-2013

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR

We just finished putting a window in our bimini for visibility purposes. You can see the window (white square on the bimini) below:

The window material is covered by a Phifertex sun screen (velcro and twist loc fastened) that shades out 70% UV, but by luck, also provides some visibility to the mainsail. From the helm you can see this:

The lower "window" in the above pic is the connector piece between the bimini and dodger. I'm going to make a phifertex sun cover for that window also.
Old 06-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
did the original poster ever figger out how to save his boat without paying union scale????

or did he actually part it out..or is he using it or......
Since he's making a sail cover and bimini for it, I have a feeling he's not planning on parting it out.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

ZeeHag, I'm the OP. I found a marina that should be "only" about 2/3 of the cost of the first marina, and may actually be even less. It's still more than I really wanted to pay, but the boat is too far away to make it practical for me to work on for a project of this magnitude.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Mary, I really like that. I think I'll have to do something similar for the connector piece when I get that far.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-02-2013

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Mary, I really like that. I think I'll have to do something similar for the connector piece when I get that far.
Thanks, Jim. I was pleased with how it turned out.

Hubby and I are still trying to figure out how the PO sailed the boat only looking through the dodger "window"...