Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
Thanks, Jim. I was pleased with how it turned out.

Hubby and I are still trying to figure out how the PO sailed the boat only looking through the dodger "window"...
Looks great Mary....probably motored the boat or didn't care how it sailed. By the great condition didn't look like it was used much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I got a chance to visit the boat today. I took along my bimini (still a work in progress) in an effort to see if I had patterned everything properly. That was a joke - I couldn't keep the thing from sliding off! Oh well. From what I could tell, it might just fit.

Anyway, as I approached the boat, I noticed that there was a ladder against the hull, and I know I had used the swim ladder last weekend when I was there. I got aboard, and sure enough, someone from the marina had been aboard! There was a work order, and the engine compartment housing was off. Unfortunately, that's about it, but hey, it's progress! Who knows, maybe I'll have the boat back in the water before Independence Day!

I got a late start today and couldn't stay too long, so I focused on cleaning one of the last remaining eyesores on the boat (well, the biggest of the remaining eyesores anyway...), the icebox. It had been full of mold and just really gross, and every time I was aboard I kept thinking that I needed to clean it, but other stuff got in the way. So, today I spend about 2 hours scrubbing the inside with a Magic Eraser, Simple Green, and bleach and water. I will hit it with my vinegar and tea tree oil mixture next time I'm there so my work isn't a complete waste! I was very pleased with how it looked when I was done. I wouldn't eat the ice from in there, but sealed packages (like bottled water, bottles of soda, etc.) should be good to go now.

Over my two previous visits, I installed two solar powered fans. Those REALLY seemed to help a lot. The nasty rain yesterday really soaked the marina, and there was evidence that the water got into the boat, too. On top of that, it was really humid this morning when I arrived. But this was the first time that I was aboard and wasn't assaulted with a combination of musty and tea tree oil. There was a faint smell from the Kanberra, but for the most part it smelled decent.
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 06-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2013

cave_dweller56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I'm crushed. The 1980 Allmand 31 we just purchased may be about to be parted out. The damping plate exploded in the engine when the boat was moved from VA to the Northern Chesepeake. The marina was just out to look at it, and they say that the motor mounts were shot, most of the hoses in the engine should have been replaced, the prop shaft was misaligned and cutting through the hull, and the transmission is likely shot. The cost to repair everything will likely exceed the value of the boat.

I had the boat surveyed by someone who was recommended by two different marinas in that area. I can't believe he missed some of these issues.
That sucks that you didn't have someone who could do their job right and you got a lemon
Old 06-09-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your boat. Capt.aaron is right, the motor isn't the boat. I think that before I would scrap out a boat because of the motor, I would weigh my options. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_dweller56 View Post
That sucks that you didn't have someone who could do their job right and you got a lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Brent View Post
Sorry to hear about your boat. Capt.aaron is right, the motor isn't the boat. I think that before I would scrap out a boat because of the motor, I would weigh my options. Good luck.
Guys.. you need to take time to read the whole thread.. Jim's beyond 'scrapping' and repairs are imminent!
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Ive had some crushing days myself friend... I bought a REAL lemon. Shes a sturdy gal now. I think these lessons, while expensive, are priceless. So will your appreciation for your boat when you first take her out. I love and hate my boat. I love her for all the sweat blood and tears and I hate her for her indifference and bad attitude. Yet- she is mine. I built her. I know her well. I will always remember her no matter where I go or do with my life. So kudos to you for keeping optimistic and strapping on the overalls. I think once the repairs are complete you will have no further concern. Water leaks are common, but you CAN fix them. My boat just went through Andrea and came out dry as a bone in 100% Florida humidity. Used to couldn't keep a book more than a week on the boat without having to throw it out for mold.
Just make sure you STAY ON the marina and get QOUTES not ESTIMATES for everything you are doing. They charge you wherever they can but do not be scared to be firm and direct in your questions. How much per hour, how long will it take, who is doing the work, how much experience do they have for this sort of work (faster is cheaper!!)
Anyway- I derailed quite a bit but keep up the optimism and enjoy becoming zen with your boat. Its always going to be love-hate. Yin and yang baby.
chef2sail likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harborless For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks Harborless. I've been over all of those details with them, which is good. And the work order was clear that the owner was to be kept informed of the costs - that made me feel even better!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Thanks Harborless. I've been over all of those details with them, which is good. And the work order was clear that the owner was to be kept informed of the costs - that made me feel even better!
First rate reputable marina. I take my boat there also for major service even though its 4 hours away by boat and across the Chesapeake Bay.
jimgo likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-10-2013

fatcatsailor is on a distinguished road

Its hard enough getting my 5000 pound boat to a dock or mooring in a good wind with my outboard.
Old 06-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Well, the marina called today and said they had good news and bad news. The good news was that the engine and transmission could be easily unhooked and pulled out of the boat with their crane, which means that they can work on it in their shop, which saves on labor costs. They also were able to remove the transmission and got the bell housing off easily so they could get to the damping plate (when we spoke yesterday, nothing had been done, and I got pictures of the disassembled engine at 2:00 PM today, so that means it couldn't have taken THAT long). The bad news is that they called it a "grease ball" and said it needed to be cleaned (I knew that) and that there were some things that should be addressed in addition to the damping plate (and possibly the transmission). Those include replacing/fixing the heat exchanger, replacing some hoses, and some other "stuff" that they'd like to discuss in person. I can't get down there this weekend, but to keep the ball rolling I'm going to pay them a visit on Monday.

Here are some of the engine shots:

1975 Albacore 15