Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Ah Ha! They need to justify the work by looking for more to do then just the DP! But yeah in for a penny in for a pound Jim. It's good news!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I think they will recommend replacing at least the rear seal, and I agree. Hoses are iffy for me, so I want to see what they see. Know they need to be done eventually, and in many ways it makes sense to do it now. Gotta add up the costs. At some point, we approach the cost of a new engine and transmission.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

hoses you can, and should, do yourself. If your salary is less than what the yard's hourly rate is, consider doing as much yourself as possible.

Old 06-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I'm typically inclined to DIY things. But the hoses will probably wind up being a small part of the total cost. I haven't asked yet, but I suspect they won't let me DIY in their shop.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-15-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Is the oil soaked damping plate the cause of the major vibrations that started this tear down, and what lead you to believe the heat exchanger needed work or replacement? Didn't the transmssion work during the ferrying of the boat? I guess I'm asking for an update, on what you think your repair to be, will be.
Old 06-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

It wasn't excess vibrations, it was a lack of forward progress.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-15-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Well Jim, it's certainly a good time to clean, degrease and paint the engine compartment.

my current "project"!
Old 06-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

The good news is that there has been some progress, or movement in the right direction: fixing your engine.
Sometimes work in boat yards can take a notoriously long time which can be quite frustrating. I hope your work continues apace.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Denise, I headed there Monday with that on the to-do list.

Caleb, despite my whining here, that's the perspective I have been keeping.
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I went to HH today. Mark showed me the transmission and the engine. The damping plate is certainly toast. The inside of the bell housing is all scraped up, too. The heat exchanger's zinc probably had never been replaced, so the copper is starting to wear through. There are a few hoses that do need to be replaced. There is oil in the back chamber. So, the question was, how to proceed? I really don't want to invest in rebuilding the HBW5 transmission; I've read many places that the rebuilt transmissions tend to die within a few years, and the cost of rebuilding approaches the cost of a newer transmission. So, Mark is researching replacement transmissions. If we can find one that should work, we'll go that route.

What that won't tell us, unfortunately, is whether the oil that we see inside the engine is from the transmission or from the engine itself. The oil to be engine oil, but apparently on some transmissions you could get away with using some engine-style oils. To play it safe, I've asked for an estimate to replace the rear seal. Given where we are in the process, that seems like a smart investment. I'll also be receiving an estimate for the heat exchanger.

While I was there, I cleaned out the engine compartment. It looks MUCH better than it did. It could still use some additional cleaning, but this is about as much as I'm willing to do:

I also dried out the bilge and got almost all of the oil out of it. So, now we're starting from a better place once the engine work is finished.

I also had a chance to install the bimini I made. Its a little tight, but not so much so that I couldn't get it on.

You can also see the lifeline pads and ladder pads that I made (kids complained about the ladder on the previous boat hurting their feet).

Next I need to install the "sunroof" into the bimini (helps to actually SEE the mast and sails!) and to make a "sock" to fit over the hole for the backstay, then I think I can officially sign off on the bimini and start on the dodger. I tried patterning that myself last trip, but I think I need a second set of hands for that one.

Thanks to BoatUS losing my order, I wasn't able to install the name today.
deniseO30 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-17-2013)