Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I went to HH today. Mark showed me the transmission and the engine. The damping plate is certainly toast. The inside of the bell housing is all scraped up, too. The heat exchanger's zinc probably had never been replaced, so the copper is starting to wear through. There are a few hoses that do need to be replaced. There is oil in the back chamber. So, the question was, how to proceed? I really don't want to invest in rebuilding the HBW5 transmission; I've read many places that the rebuilt transmissions tend to die within a few years, and the cost of rebuilding approaches the cost of a newer transmission. So, Mark is researching replacement transmissions. If we can find one that should work, we'll go that route.

What that won't tell us, unfortunately, is whether the oil that we see inside the engine is from the transmission or from the engine itself. The oil to be engine oil, but apparently on some transmissions you could get away with using some engine-style oils. To play it safe, I've asked for an estimate to replace the rear seal. Given where we are in the process, that seems like a smart investment. I'll also be receiving an estimate for the heat exchanger.

While I was there, I cleaned out the engine compartment. It looks MUCH better than it did. It could still use some additional cleaning, but this is about as much as I'm willing to do:

I also dried out the bilge and got almost all of the oil out of it. So, now we're starting from a better place once the engine work is finished.

I also had a chance to install the bimini I made. Its a little tight, but not so much so that I couldn't get it on.

You can also see the lifeline pads and ladder pads that I made (kids complained about the ladder on the previous boat hurting their feet).

Next I need to install the "sunroof" into the bimini (helps to actually SEE the mast and sails!) and to make a "sock" to fit over the hole for the backstay, then I think I can officially sign off on the bimini and start on the dodger. I tried patterning that myself last trip, but I think I need a second set of hands for that one.

Thanks to BoatUS losing my order, I wasn't able to install the name today.
Good Job on the Bimini Jib....Did ou use a aipper to get it to the backstay?

Take some time to really clean the engine compartment and think about maybe soundproofing while you have the engine out of there. Its not that expensive and makes a world of difference. See T37chefs thread...he did an excellent job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jim this is what I have in mind if and when I need to do the deed.

TECHNODRIVE Twin Disc TMC 40 P transmission
Sound marine diesel claims it's a direct replacement for our HBW5 and it's slightly cheaper then ZF (hurth)

Heat exchangers do come apart so the tubes can be scrutinized better.

The old trans should have automatic trans fluid in it.. (red)

Your almost there! Yay! (still hoping your trans is ok)

my current "project"!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If the tranny ATF hasn't been changed in a while it's not got much 'red' left in it, but it will be lighter than engine oil.

This is one hell of a way to start with a 'new' boat, Jim, but it does/will settle one question mark and you'll feel better about things once you're done. Hope they get it together for you in time to enjoy the season.
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good Job on the Bimini Jib....Did ou use a aipper to get it to the backstay?
No, I thought that through some more, and figured I'd just release the backstay and feed it through. Turned out to not be that bad.

Yes, I'm kidding...I put in a zipper, with a large opening through which the backstay can move. I liked your idea of the double-zipper, but I have both a stay and a radar pole that sit in that space, and didn't like the idea of the zippers. So, I left a decent size hole (hopefully it is big enough, only time will tell! - I did test it by pulling on the backstay) and my intention is to create a "sock" that fits over the hole and the backstay/radar pole. That should help close off that area.

Soundproofing is absolutely on my list, if there is time. I don't want to hold off any longer than I have to, though. I saw Shawn's thread and thought it would be a great idea if I can get it in time.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Jim this is what I have in mind if and when I need to do the deed.

TECHNODRIVE Twin Disc TMC 40 P transmission
THANK YOU! That's good to know. I've heard mixed reviews about the ZF transmissions, so it's good to know there are other options. I read somewhere that a few of the ZF transmissions are pretty close to the same size as the HBW5 - within something like 1/4".

HH's opinion was that the transmission would have to be broken down to really know if there were issues, and I honestly don't want to spend the money on that. If it's broken down, will need to be rebuilt, and I'd rather spend that money on a new transmission, if one can be found that won't require completely rebuilding the engine compartment (hence my appreciation for your link!).

Regarding the heat exchanger, it was HEAVILY corroded on both ends, and the zinc was basically shot. The sidewalls in places were wearing thin, and you could see that some of the metal was missing (it was no longer brass, but copper). They did offer to put it back on in the current condition, and it IS in a location where I could (theoretically) replace it without TOO much difficulty but, after seeing the corrosion, I'm not all that inclined to risk it. If we were already "home" in Barnegat Bay it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but I've got a 4-day trip ahead of me, with part of that out in the ocean. I know my luck and that is when the exchanger would spring a leak. I'm better off replacing it.
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 06-17-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Faster, I agree. I'm annoyed that this happened, especially on the heels of losing our last boat. BUT, I keep pointing out to my wife that a) the damping plate is inside the engine, and unless we paid to have the engine rebuilt, we probably wouldn't have found the problem even IF we had hired a separate marine diesel mechanic; b) the damping plate failed while a professional captain had the boat, not while we were aboard trying to outrun a storm; c) we will now know we have a new transmission, new engine mounts, new heat exchanger, new damping plate, and new rear seal. That means that most of the major "wear" components will have been replaced, and we SHOULD have a known-good engine.

Yup, that's the story I'm tellin/sellin'!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've been researching them quite a bit Jim. the new ZF IS the same as the old HBW5 if I understand the available information. The TwinDisc is a drop in fit, but rotation (CCW or CW) of your prop needs to be established. Love your canvas work Jim!

my current "project"!
Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks Denise!

So, other than cost (which I'm not discounting!!), is there a reason to go with the TwinDisc over the ZF?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

I think they may be more reliable in the long run even though zf is still a great gear box. I know the rebuild kit is like $300 for the HBW. but if paying... that's going to put it right up there with a new one in cost. Of course you will have to make the final call Jim.
Wishing you more good luck!

my current "project"!
Old 06-17-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think you are right about having them change the rear seal. I can't imagine even at marine prices it should not be much. I think my last Mercedes I did a clutch on it was around $20 and I find there parts are about the same as for marine stuff! My Miata was like $12 and if they have the transmission off it should not be more than a half hour of labor. If I were working on it I would not let it out without one unless the owner was very insistent that it was just changed.