Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Thanks Paul.

BTW, I used to have a 1991 BRG LE. LOVED that little car! I now have an '06 Solara. Not quite as much fun to drive, but I can fit my whole family (somewhat) comfortably inside. Much moreso than my old Miata!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

I doubt you had two failures, the transmission and the DP. Risking reusing the tranny, is doable, especially since if your wrong , it can be changed out without removing the engine. Don't think you have changed so much, that something else major couldn't go wrong. I'm just trying to keep a grand ($), in your pocket.
The Following User Says Thank You to sony2000 For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I appreciate the feedback Sony!

I just chatted with the insurance company. They haven't given up on me yet; they are still waiting for a definite cause of the problems. They said they might need the transmission to go out for inspection; if that happens, then I may wind up with a rebuilt transmission because I don't want to spend the money on the tear-down only to find that I need a whole new transmission.

The insurance company expects to be out at the marina tomorrow (Wednesday) to look at everything.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I appreciate the feedback Sony!

I just chatted with the insurance company. They haven't given up on me yet; they are still waiting for a definite cause of the problems. They said they might need the transmission to go out for inspection; if that happens, then I may wind up with a rebuilt transmission because I don't want to spend the money on the tear-down only to find that I need a whole new transmission.

The insurance company expects to be out at the marina tomorrow (Wednesday) to look at everything.
Well, at least they didn't tell you no, yet.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

LOL...exactly, Chuck...not YET. I suspect it's coming, but hey, I can dream!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

I received a call from the marina a few minutes ago. Their prices for most of the parts were as good as or better than what I had found online. In fact, the sourced a ZF6M transmission for $1225 which is a great price and better than what I had expected (and significantly less than any rebuild). Their heat exchanger is $428, the engine mounts are $150 each, and the damping plate is $165.
deniseO30 and chef2sail like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-18-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Good luck Jim!

my current "project"!
Old 06-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If a yard has the time to order parts, they may be getting them from the same place. They are usually given a wholesale discount and still make a profit selling it to you for the same price you would have paid.

Everyone is happy.

Certainly, a yard could have a rogue supplier with a crazy price. More often, if there is no labor to make money on, the few dollars in parts markup may not pay for the yard to spend the time doing research for parts numbers, issuing the PO, placing the order, receiving and billing you. They may mark it up even further, as a result.

Given the large volume of work they are doing for you, I'm not surprised that parts costs are reasonable.
jimgo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-18-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Jim,

I have been monitoring this thread since it started. I am glad that there finally seems to be light at the end of the tunnel for you, and I am confident that once you have this resolved you'll have a great boat that your family will love.

Reflecting back on how you got to this place, I feel especially bad that you did not choose this path. You had a great boat before Sandy took it from you. That acquisition was not totally without problems either, but because it was a smaller boat your solution was easy - just buy a new outboard motor.

Which leads to an important lesson for others who are just starting out with their first boat. Starting out with a simple boat with minimal systems (such as Jim's prior Catalina 25) is lower risk and likely to get you on the water quicker with less risk. If this "new boat" had been Jim's first one, he almost certainly would have given up by now. But having already sailed on his first boat, and gotten a taste of the joys that lie ahead (and some experience with solving problems), he knows the value of persistence in solving the issues with this second boat.

After reading Jim's issues with this boat, and the other issues that some of you here have described with your own boats, I realize how fortunate I am that I have never missed a day of sailing due to mechanical problems (knock on wood). Much of that is luck, but part of that is simply the fact that my little boat has relatively simple systems that are easy to fix. If my outboard motor were to go kaput, I could easily replace it. Of course, an outboard has other deficiencies if you get into serious swells and chop, but you can't beat its simplicity.

So for those of you who dream of starting out with a 35-40 footer, and looking to save money by getting a project boat for your very first boat, I'd suggest getting started with the smallest boat that can meet your minimal requirements. You'll be much more likely to get on the water with such a boat. Hold off on that "project boat" until your next one (or later).

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Jim,

I have been monitoring this thread since it started. I am glad that there finally seems to be light at the end of the tunnel for you, and I am confident that once you have this resolved you'll have a great boat that your family will love.

Reflecting back on how you got to this place, I feel especially bad that you did not choose this path. You had a great boat before Sandy took it from you. That acquisition was not totally without problems either, but because it was a smaller boat your solution was easy - just buy a new outboard motor.

Which leads to an important lesson for others who are just starting out with their first boat. Starting out with a simple boat with minimal systems (such as Jim's prior Catalina 25) is lower risk and likely to get you on the water quicker with less risk. If this "new boat" had been Jim's first one, he almost certainly would have given up by now. But having already sailed on his first boat, and gotten a taste of the joys that lie ahead (and some experience with solving problems), he knows the value of persistence in solving the issues with this second boat.

After reading Jim's issues with this boat, and the other issues that some of you here have described with your own boats, I realize how fortunate I am that I have never missed a day of sailing due to mechanical problems (knock on wood). Much of that is luck, but part of that is simply the fact that my little boat has relatively simple systems that are easy to fix. If my outboard motor were to go kaput, I could easily replace it. Of course, an outboard has other deficiencies if you get into serious swells and chop, but you can't beat its simplicity.

So for those of you who dream of starting out with a 35-40 footer, and looking to save money by getting a project boat for your very first boat, I'd suggest getting started with the smallest boat that can meet your minimal requirements. You'll be much more likely to get on the water with such a boat. Hold off on that "project boat" until your next one (or later).
A lot of good points.

Best boat in the best condition you can find for the type of sailing and use you will do. I would not get hung up on size. Size should be determined by how you intend to sail.

A 25 ft boat with an outboard would not meet our needs. It would have limited our sailing area, prevented us from staying aboard for a few days at a time comfortably. Not only would it not afford us the space, it would also prevent us fom sailing in heavier winds and conditions. An outboard would be woefully underpowered for taking trips as well as in larger waves do to cavitation. Plus I like having diesel as opposed to gas. Simpler too

There is nothing wrong with a boat with a number of projects if it meets the first criteria. It sure beats outgrowing your boat every few years. Taking the boat you want and slowly fixing it up is a great way to achieve that. Once you fix or redesign the systems they become new and updated. It's a waste of money and effort to keep buying and selling boats, and you risk their condition every time you do it.

To me it makes sense to try and get the largest boat you will need ,i n the best condition and improve its systems over time rather than lose money improving a boat you will sell.
At the same time you can use he boat.

To each his own, their is no set formula.
Jiminri likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner