Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
.......I called late last week to get a status update, but they didn't return my call which is a little disappointing. Hopefully I'll hear something today, otherwise I'll call them tomorrow.
I understand you're at one of the better yards too. It never ceases to amaze me how poor customer service is in the marine industry.

I couldn't imagine failing to return a customers call, at least by the end of the day. For a status update, even an email would suffice.
bljones likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree, Minne. What's really annoying to me is that I sent them an E-mail on Wednesday after I spoke with the insurance company. The E-mail summarized the work that I understood was to be done to the engine, including their estimated costs for the parts. I gave them instructions to proceed, and offered to send them a deposit. I also instructed them to not bother taking the old name off the transom as I had requested (it was still there last Saturday, several weeks after my initial request) because I had bought the tools to do it myself. I called on Thursday to confirm they received the E-mail, but didn't hear from them. When I got there Saturday, scaffolding was erected behind the boat (two ladders and an aluminum "board") and the name was off. I HOPE they got my E-mail and started ordering the parts!!! I would REALLY like to start moving her home, and timing-wise next week would be ideal because it is a short week.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

That is a pretty paint job Jim! Call them again! "what's the hold up" would be my first question. You don't want the deposit I said is on the way? " would be my second LOL they have you were they want you and it's high season. Fortunatly it does seem they are good track record with others that you know.

Well, I did get the line off the prop and my boat is back in operation with the new key switch. Funny now the old key switch works fine now that it's here in my hands back at the house LOL I'm getting 2 new batteries for my 2nd bank today.

my current "project"!
Old 06-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I hate to think they are making their local customers a priority and pre-Jul 4th is always a rush.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've only one experience with a yard. This was about 5 yrs ago now. My son insisted on full main sail in a 20 mph windy day coming out of the Sassafras river the steering broke! With EM tiller we got back in and called George Town Yacht Basin they told me to take a mooring (Already had done that ) "can't do anything until Monday" I was told. "We will send the water taxi out to tow you in first thing" Monday morning I got a call and they were approaching my boat! Later that day I got a call and a report that it was the pedestal bolts (We knew that) that let the sheaves fall and they would have it fixed by late day. $375 and they took a check! I've never been so impressed! As I've been in HVAC contracting most of my life, it takes allot to impress me LOL

my current "project"!
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Denise, I forgot to thank you for the info on your transmission. It's good to know those things can take a beating; I'm sure I'll be torturing mine, too.

The transmission was really one of the big questionmarks for me. Do I send it off to be tested and possibly rebuilt, or just replaced? I asked about testing it, and the marina said that while they COULD hook it up and see if it "works", there is not guarantee that there isn't something broken/floating free in there that could cause problems later. Given that I still have a 4-5 day trip ahead of me, and that I've already been out of commission about 3 months, I'm not really willing to take the chance on that. That leaves me with rebuilding or replacing, and replacing is a) a lot less expensive than rebuilding, and b) gets me a part with a warranty, which will be highly prized as basically nothing else on my boat has one!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I hate to think they are making their local customers a priority and pre-Jul 4th is always a rush.
I suspect that's exactly what they've done - local customers were a priority.

In the end, if they don't charge me for the storage, then, although it's annoying, it isn't as bad as it could be. It's frustrating to know that I have a slip at a nice marina that is sitting unused! But, otherwise, there isn't much I can do except pester Haven Harbour.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-24-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

We's all praying to the sailing Gods for ye Jim!

my current "project"!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013

Sixpak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I took advantage of the fact that she was out of the water and put the new name on.
Jim, that is absolutely beautiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sixpak For This Useful Post:
jimgo (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks Six. I wish I could take credit, but I just washed and waxed it. Also, this side apparently sat facing the sun a good bit of the time. There are spots farther forward where the paint has an orange peel texture, and up near the bow it is actually crinkled. She'll need to be sanded and completely repainted at some point. That's another project I'm not looking forward to.
1975 Albacore 15